Pod Your Reef

Purewaterclub.com

ggNoRe

Just logged in to let everyone know about purewaterclub.com's terrible customer service.

They sent me a broken water filter and started ignoring my emails as soon as they realized I wanted a refund.

C.I._Reefer
Just logged in to let everyone know about purewaterclub.com's terrible customer service.

They sent me a broken water filter and started ignoring my emails as soon as they realized I wanted a refund.

did the same thing to me. Had a broken wastewater outlet on the membrane housing. I bought a DI housing through them on ebay, and told them if they didnt send me a new membrane housing I was gonna neg em on ebay and reverse the charge on my credit card. they sent me a new membrane housing quick. now i love my unit. dont expect a refund but do expect to have your broken parts replaced.

did the same thing to me. Had a broken wastewater outlet on the membrane housing. I bought a DI housing through them on ebay, and told them if they didnt send me a new membrane housing I was gonna neg em on ebay and reverse the charge on my credit card. they sent me a new membrane housing quick. now i love my unit. dont expect a refund but do expect to have your broken parts replaced.

There ya go!

The ol' "squeaky wheel gettin' the grease"! ;)

C.I._Reefer

Yep. I'll likely get replacement filters from em, but I'll make sure to order from their ebay store from now on to keep them more accountable. I think its pretty cool that they are able to offer an rodi with a 0 tds guarantee for half the price of most places, but their customer service is troubling

C.I._Reefer
which model did you guys get? anyone have luck with the $60 RODI portable unit 50GPD?

I have the equivalent unit, except it is 100 gpd. I'm pretty happy with it for the price, but as my unit is, I couldn't imagin.e having a lower production unit. You gotta figure its only 50 gpd @ 77f with 60psi water pressure. Realistically it'll be about half that

AZDesertRat

You get what you pay for an a cheap RO or RO/DI is just that.

Look beyond the initial cost at the long term cost and there is no comparison, the better quality units will shine every time. The cost of DI replacements eats you up. Think about this; For every 2% you increase the RO rejection rate or removal efficiency you DOUBLE the life of your DI resin. It only takes a couple DI replacements to equal the cost of the real reef quality RO/DI system and it keeps saving from day one.

Been down this road many times and will never do it again.

Look beyond the initial cost at the long term cost and there is no comparison, the better quality units will shine every time. The cost of DI replacements eats you up. Think about this; For every 2% you increase the RO rejection rate or removal efficiency you DOUBLE the life of your DI resin. It only takes a couple DI replacements to equal the cost of the real reef quality RO/DI system and it keeps saving from day one.

I do understand those points, but when you only need 5 gallons of water a month (60 gallons a year) and people are getting a solid 300+ gallons out of a $60 unit...I'd rather use a $60 unit for 5 years then a $160++unit that *might* last me 10....i think regardless of use after a certain amt of time filters need to be changed anyways, so there really might not be any benefit to "quality" units for nano tanks.

anyways DI resin is cheap. I got two filters worth for around $15 on ebay :)

Anyone know if the purewaterclub DI chambers refillable -- i suppose i could just buy a refillable chamber and switch them out if not....

C.I._Reefer

I was going to ask you, is there any reason i cant throw a 90 gpd ultra high rejection spectrapure membrane in my unit?

Would i need to do anything other than maybe change the flow restrictor?

I do understand those points, but when you only need 5 gallons of water a month (60 gallons a year) and people are getting a solid 300+ gallons out of a $60 unit...I'd rather use a $60 unit for 5 years then a $160++unit that *might* last me 10....i think regardless of use after a certain amt of time filters need to be changed anyways, so there really might not be any benefit to "quality" units for nano tanks.

Anyone know if the purewaterclub DI chambers refillable -- i suppose i could just buy a refillable chamber and switch them out if not....

the OEM one isnt refillable as far as i can tell.They sell a clear refillable one on there for like $15 though. Personally I am thinking about upgrading to a single canister vertical DI from BRS. Mostly for ease of use/maintenance, and because i make alot more than 5 gallons a week :P Plus it is only $35 with resin.

yeah, you need to bring ALL your frags to my place...dance like a chicken and don't forget to balance a cherry on your nose for 3 hours while standing on one foot.

no, honestly if the membrance would fit (not sure on size) I don't see why you would change anything. but I know as much about RO/DI units as I do dancing like a chicken.

AZDesertRat

It will slip right in along with a new matched capilllary tube flow restrictor. if you are going to do that make sure you use better quality sediment and carbon block filters though to protect the membrane or it will not last as long or work as well. The key to Spectrapures success is a complete engineered system from start to finish, every piece is critical to the next piece downstream which it protects.

They have a really good write up on why their systems are different here:

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p1.htm

And on why their membranes are different and why it is important:

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm#understanding

C.I._Reefer
It will slip right in along with a new matched capilllary tube flow restrictor. if you are going to do that make sure you use better quality sediment and carbon block filters though to protect the membrane or it will not last as long or work as well. The key to Spectrapures success is a complete engineered system from start to finish, every piece is critical to the next piece downstream which it protects.

They have a really good write up on why their systems are different here:

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p1.htm

And on why their membranes are different and why it is important:

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm#understanding

I already upgraded to a 1 micron carbon block. Now it is just a matter of finding an in-line style sediment filter that is <5 microns.

AZDesertRat

Go 0.5 micron absolute on the sediment filter and 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon Chlorine Guzzler style on the carbon block.

The sediment filter protects the carbon blocks billions of tiny microscopic pores so it can do its job of removing chlorine and VOCs. If the sediment filter is larger than the carbon, and if it is nominal rated and not absolute rated, it does not funtion as well and the carbon is soon exhausted allowing chlorine to pass to and destroy the RO membrane fabric.

Something to keep in mind, you can actually see 40 microns with the unaided human eye so 5 microns really isn't that small in the grand scheme of things. 0.5 microns does a much better job of protection but certainly don't go any larger than 1 micron and again asbolute and not nominal. The difference is significant.

C.I._Reefer
Go 0.5 micron absolute on the sediment filter and 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon Chlorine Guzzler style on the carbon block.

The sediment filter protects the carbon blocks billions of tiny microscopic pores so it can do its job of removing chlorine and VOCs. If the sediment filter is larger than the carbon, and if it is nominal rated and not absolute rated, it does not funtion as well and the carbon is soon exhausted allowing chlorine to pass to and destroy the RO membrane fabric.

Something to keep in mind, you can actually see 40 microns with the unaided human eye so 5 microns really isn't that small in the grand scheme of things. 0.5 microns does a much better job of protection but certainly don't go any larger than 1 micron and again asbolute and not nominal. The difference is significant.

Is it advisable or of benefit at all to have a 1 or 5 micron sediment filter before the 0.5 micron sediment filter? Logic would tell me that it would extend the longevity of the 0.5 micron filter, but then again it may be completely unnecessary.

I can attest to the spectrapure units.. mine sat on a shelf in garage for 6 months in SW FL heat.. granted it wasn't disassembled prior to disconnect so was still full of water.. replaced all the prefilters and DI.. still getting 4 TDS out of membrane at 40psi and 1 to 3.5g waste ratio. Unit is about 2 years old in total.

Guess that's about a 98% rejection rate with a source of 350 tds..

AZDesertRat

I wouldn't same as I would not use twocarbons. Everything you place in front of the RO membrane has an associated pressure drop or head loss which reduces the efficiency of the membrane shortening your DI life and driving the cost of ownership up.

If you want both ultimate protection and long filter life look at the pleated 0.2 micron ZetaZorb filter. It has 10x the surface area or a normal spun poly or depth type sediment filter so lasts longer even though it filters better. I have also found in my personal system it has less head loss so another plus. if you are careful you can rinse or clean the pleated filter a couple times too if you have sediment problems but I have run one for 18 months never being cleaned and never seeing a pressure drop. I don't recommend runing a filter tha tlong but I have both pre and post filter array pressure gauges to monitor head loss and a low range chlorine test kit to monitor for chlorine break thru from an exhausted carbon block. And that is inPhoenix water with a TDS of around 630-650 most times. I do have and recommend a water softener which helps a little but the TDS is still over 600, just sodium instead of calcium and magnesium. All membrane manufacturers recommend using softened water and most will not honor a warranty claim if you are not using softened water.

C.I._Reefer
I wouldn't same as I would not use twocarbons. Everything you place in front of the RO membrane has an associated pressure drop or head loss which reduces the efficiency of the membrane shortening your DI life and driving the cost of ownership up.

If you want both ultimate protection and long filter life look at the pleated 0.2 micron ZetaZorb filter. It has 10x the surface area or a normal spun poly or depth type sediment filter so lasts longer even though it filters better. I have also found in my personal system it has less head loss so another plus. if you are careful you can rinse or clean the pleated filter a couple times too if you have sediment problems but I have run one for 18 months never being cleaned and never seeing a pressure drop. I don't recommend runing a filter tha tlong but I have both pre and post filter array pressure gauges to monitor head loss and a low range chlorine test kit to monitor for chlorine break thru from an exhausted carbon block. And that is inPhoenix water with a TDS of around 630-650 most times. I do have and recommend a water softener which helps a little but the TDS is still over 600, just sodium instead of calcium and magnesium. All membrane manufacturers recommend using softened water and most will not honor a warranty claim if you are not using softened water.

I have heard that, but unfortunately I'm in an apartment and i dont think a softener is an option, unless i can convince the landlord that it is a worthwhile investment. Luckily though, I dont have nearly as hard of water as some of my surrounding areas. Also, do you have any recommendations as to where a relatively inexpensive booster pump can be obtained?

AZDesertRat

There are knock offs out there but I stick strictly with the Aquatec 8800 for a 75 GPD or higher and an Aquatec 6800 for a 50 or smaller. They basically invented the things and it does not pay to go anywhere else. The price difference isn't that much and who knows about the reliabilty of the imports?

If you are going to automate make sure you get one with a pressure switch.

I got their 100GPD unit for about $100 about 3 months ago and I wasn't happy at all. It had a crazy amount of leaks from more places then I could pin point like most people review online, BUT when I contacted their customer service they didn't hesitate to give me another replacement after testing that one for leaks. Ever since then I have been getting 0 TDS and no more problems. Their DI chambers are refillable. I was considering the spectrapure like AZ recommended me at the time but the extra $40 (including shipping) was something I couldn't spend at that time. If you are on a budget I would say get the purewater unit but I would definitley advise against their "portable" units since the DI doesn't last as long. I couldn't wait since I was moving way too far from any LFS.

I got their 100GPD unit for about $100 about 3 months ago and I wasn't happy at all. It had a crazy amount of leaks from more places then I could pin point like most people review online, BUT when I contacted their customer service they didn't hesitate to give me another replacement after testing that one for leaks. Ever since then I have been getting 0 TDS and no more problems. Their DI chambers are refillable. I was considering the spectrapure like AZ recommended me at the time but the extra $40 (including shipping) was something I couldn't spend at that time. If you are on a budget I would say get the purewater unit but I would definitley advise against their "portable" units since the DI doesn't last as long. I couldn't wait since I was moving way too far from any LFS.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I guess as long as they have good customer service its worth taking a chance for me. I HAVE the money, I just prefer not to spend it (hence, why i have money:)

AZDesertRat

With the cheap unit you will spend the money guaranteed. The odds are against you, thats why they receive the complaints they do.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I guess as long as they have good customer service its worth taking a chance for me. I HAVE the money, I just prefer not to spend it (hence, why i have money:)

Yeah but it was also easier for me since they are based out of SoCal so I just went and switched my bad unit with a new one without having to ship it. I would contact them beforehand and have them check your unit for leaks before they ship it. How are you going to connect it? With a faucet adapter?

andrewguilfoy

I have one, and have had one for a year. Still runs strong. They answer their emails, that's all I care about. My unit was fine from day 1. They are willing to fix issues +the cheaper price. The worst you will run into are cracked elbows/connectins, the 1/4 inch fittings, but they are very very easily replaced with a quick trip to home depot.. That's something that could happen to any unit on the market, even a spectraure unit.

which model did you guys get? anyone have luck with the $60 RODI portable unit 50GPD?

I got the RODI portable unit for 100GPD but mine came out around 50GPD. My water pressure may be low but got enough for now. I normally use 10 gallon a week.

Archived