Coral Vue Hydros

3 gallon jbj light question.

Dnanoreefer

Dnanoreefer

I have a jbj 3 gallon pico, and I have the coralife t-5 dual flourescent fixture. This one,

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=23646

I am wondering if i can run 2 actinics in it instead of using the 10k and actinic. any suggestions on any reasons i cant would be cool. it is stocked with candy cane, duncan, mushrooms, and 2 mini maxi nems. would they not be getting enough light with only actinics? the only reason i like the actinics only is the color, the 10k bulb is pretty white, the colors look good but nothing like with only actinics. i do see so many peoples tanks with the par bulbs that are extremely blue.

Dnanoreefer

i dont know if they sell a blue plus in a 6watt bulb, and as far as led i would love to diy rapid kit in this fixture with 14-20 leds. but money is tight and i am planning on moving due to job change and after that i probably will take on a diy led. but as for now i am just wondering if there is any downfall or negative affects for running only actinics. if you know a link for 6 watt blue plus bulbs let me know. thanks.

Dnanoreefer

Here.. A couple shotty iPhone pics.. The mini maxi nems color cannot be captured by this darn phone.. They are amazing under just actinic..

Before

2879fccc.jpg

After

72c24e00.jpg

dedef353.jpg

f2900659.jpg

Must have some daylight

Actinics look great but as a stand alone driver from this unit it will not grow or keep coral long term

Sorry! if it worked id do it too love the look I have same fixture

Dnanoreefer

that is what i had figured that daylight is a must. but it was worth a try and it looked slick for the time being. but i will upgrade to a par38 bulb soon than.

that is what i had figured that daylight is a must. but it was worth a try and it looked slick for the time being. but i will upgrade to a par38 bulb soon than.

Is it not possible to run the bulbs separately? Also, does that fixture fit on the jbj picotope perfectly?

Dnanoreefer

no there is only one switch, and also no i cut a piece of acrylic and mounted the legs to it, but it works slick i think.

Dnanoreefer

yeah maybe i will, but its setup already and not really stocking it like i would like to, i need to make a trip to a local coral farmer. he has some amazing zoas. also petco has been getting mini maxis in on the regular so i have saved 2 really cool ones for 29 a pop. good price i think. waiting for more to come in, i plan on having around 4-6 and a nem crab. possibly getting one this weekend. im heading to milwaukee area and probably going to stop at aquatics unlimited, a pretty good store. also plan on an ac70 upgrade soon. im running the 20 now but the 70 would be real nice.

if u can spend the money check out ledtric, im bout to purchase one of the par-38's. i was looking at the light u have but decided to go led. i just recently setup an ac70, was able to put my heater in their and now running chaeto and cp elite. waiting to get my par to use stock light for fuge. only prob is even though u can turn it down im havin a prob w the sand in the front of my tank bein blown away.

Dnanoreefer

that was a concern with the 70 also contemplating a 50 modded. wich would still work just fine. heck my 20 works fine. i will be looking around for all sorts of lighting when i choose to go led. this light works just fine for now, it was free so i cant complain right.

thats pretty nice u got it for free, im thinkin of using a small piece of acrylic to make a deflector for the filter so all the water doesnt flow right to the front. it does a great job keeping the tank clean though.

Archived