Cultivated Reef

MiniMalistic Pico by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

albertthiel
Orange Montipora is finally starting to colour up, in what I believe is a response to additions of K, specifically Zeovit's K-Balance Strong additive. Polyps appeared orange originally now taking on a blue hue. Growth is slow however.

7612125114_a93bee9e78_z.jpg

This was about two months ago:

7161699586_ac1d309d3a_z.jpg

Very Nice indeed. ... how much would you estimate it grew in those two months C. ?

Thanks

Albert

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very Nice indeed. ... how much would you estimate it grew in those two months C. ?

Thanks

Albert

I'm guessing ....... very little. I let nutrients NO3 climb a little in the pico. Overfeeding my sexy shrimp I guess.

albertthiel
I'm guessing ....... very little. I let nutrients NO3 climb a little in the pico. Overfeeding my sexy shrimp I guess.

I would not worry for now. Normally most of the Montis grow well but maybe this particular one is a slower grower. It "does" look pretty well and in good shape Christine.

Albert

Some progress being made on my pico:

1) I added a 1/2 inch loc-line for the out take.

2) I lowered the LED down about 3 inches, so it now sits 4 inches above the water line. Much better and brighter, I should have designed it this way in the first place.

7653077546_d843f3c121_z.jpg

3) As the title suggests, I am going bio-pellets in my pico. I have never seen this done before so this may be a first.

I started working on the reactor modification so I took the GFO off line for a while. Got the Vertex bio-pellets soaking in RO water for 24 hours. I am using 50mL of pellets, experience tells me this is more than enough for roughly 4.5 gallon of water.

7652988064_2396ce4af6_z.jpg

Most of the reactor modification is to the internal carriage that is going to keep the pellets in place. I have constructed a new carriage and will inset it in the reactor body. (completed pictures by the weekend). Below is some process pictures of that modification (look back several pages to see the reactor design as a whole).

7652992852_4d53c2d0ab_z.jpg

7652991456_631e470435_z.jpg

7652990128_135e3317b3_z.jpg

More pictures coming in a day or so showing the completed reactor modification.

albertthiel
Some progress being made on my pico:

More pictures coming in a day or so showing the completed reactor modification.

Looks good indeed

Converted for Bio-Pellets, glue is drying, pellets go in tomorrow.

Out take (Black) will go to skimmer intake via standard hose.

7653926798_39fb1d1e80_z.jpg

albertthiel
Converted for Bio-Pellets, glue is drying, pellets go in tomorrow.

Out take (Black) will go to skimmer intake via standard hose.

7653926798_39fb1d1e80_z.jpg

I like it ... great conversion indeed NanoTopia. I guess the pump is at the bottom: which one did you select if I may ask?

Albert

I like it ... great conversion indeed NanoTopia. I guess the pump is at the bottom: which one did you select if I may ask?

Albert

Thank you Albert. The pump I used is the Eheim compact 300 which gives me adjustable flow rates and has a very small foot print. This pump puts out 150 - 300 L per hour and is nicely suited to the size of the reactor.

post-72999-1343396903_thumb.jpg

albertthiel
Thank you Albert. The pump I used is the Eheim compact 300 which gives me adjustable flow rates and has a very small foot print. This pump puts out 150 - 300 L per hour and is nicely suited to the size of the reactor.

Nice little pump indeed and since it is an Eheim it should be very reliable IME.

They make some real good "stuff" and a lot of it ... and they have been around for ages and ages ...

I like it ... and when I get into reactors I am going to keep those little Eheims in mind.

Thanks

Albert

Pico Reactor 1.2 is now online and working well. The pump puts out a maximum of 80GPH which I have it set on at the moment due to the susceptibility of the bio-pellets clumping for the first few days. I might turn the pump down to 60 GPH once the pellets settle down. I suspect it will take 3-4 weeks before they become fully active, in the mean time I will do more WC's to keep up with the bio load, which is basically small any way.

Have a look at the short video to see the tumble in the fresh water test (bottom of post). Hope you like it, comments/suggestions more than welcome

7662908876_83d970c675_z.jpg

7662914328_56e024c28d_z.jpg

Fresh water trial:

7662861134_01882c3552_z.jpg

Fresh water trial VIDEO:

albertthiel
Pico Reactor 1.2 is now online and working well. The pump puts out a maximum of 80GPH which I have it set on at the moment due to the susceptibility of the bio-pellets clumping for the first few days. I might turn the pump down to 60 GPH once the pellets settle down. I suspect it will take 3-4 weeks before they become fully active, in the mean time I will do more WC's to keep up with the bio load, which is basically small any way.

Have a look at the short video to see the tumble in the fresh water test (bottom of post). Hope you like it, comments/suggestions more than welcome

Fresh water trial VIDEO:

Very nice NanoTopia ...

I love it, works great and you did some very nice DIY work indeed

Very nice NanoTopia ...

I love it, works great and you did some very nice DIY work indeed

Followingggggggg..

This is aweeesome

Amazing little tank there. Love your DIY work! I'll be watching for more

Thank you all, thrilled to have you following along. Updates and more photo's coming soon.

7662908876_83d970c675_z.jpg

7662914328_56e024c28d_z.jpg

Fresh water trial:

7662861134_01882c3552_z.jpg

Fresh water trial VIDEO:

Christine you have no idea how bad i wan one. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guess NanoTopia should make them and market them ...

she would make a ton.

Here you go... your wish is granted...but not by me...sorry :lol:

CadLights

post-72999-1345126839_thumb.jpg

Those cad lights reactors are still too big for most nanos. Yours is so much better! You should totally make some for all of us. I'm pretty sure people would pay for yours.

Those cad lights reactors are still too big for most nanos. Yours is so much better! You should totally make some for all of us. I'm pretty sure people would pay for yours.

Thanks Mitch, making this reactor was very labor intensive, I would love for all pico users to use my design but I am afraid I would not have the time to make them. Cost of making it was also an issue. I think from my photo's most people could make this reactor at home, or something similar. It's not that hard really, the design concept is simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to see some colour on my dry rock now, it's a welcome site. I was getting blinded by this rock in my pico. The source is a favia frag that has been in the tank since day one basically. What ever variety of coralline this is, it likes my tank and it's a nice colour.

7922126202_f8e2041b27_z.jpg

Added a frag of ORA Grubes Gorgonion a while ago I acquired from a friend, seems to be taking off nicely, I never had much luck with them in the past. I think the trick is spot feeding once a week or more even though they are photosynthetic.

7922435918_fe24804743_z.jpg

PicoFTSSept420122.jpg

Added a really cool shrimp, Venus Anemone Shrimp, Anclyomenes venustus. He moves his tail from side to side, swaying back and forth. Quite opposite the Sexy shrimp who moves his tail up and down. Together it's like a some kind of tribal dance going on in my pico. He is now hosting my favia.

7964589218_78e9399eb4_z.jpg

7964595930_226de09afe_z.jpg

Archived