Innovative Marine Aquariums

MiniMalistic Pico by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

Yeah I totally agree that it is very easy to clean in a good size pico but I had problems siphon chunks and poops waste every other day in a big tank. It be flowing all over in the water and it just bug me out, that's why I decided to add 1/2" thin sandbed. Works out well for the tank and myself. Lol

Do you have a clam in there also?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a clam in there also?

No clam, I think I will stick to what I have now for a while, I will admit this tank, now that it is running, has lost a bit of my interest. I have 4 sexy shrimp in now, think I need something more to watch.

albertthiel
No clam, I think I will stick to what I have now for a while, I will admit this tank, now that it is running, has lost a bit of my interest. I have 4 sexy shrimp in now, think I need something more to watch.

Keep us posted no what transpires and how the tank develops further please. Interested in seeing it. Thanks

Albert

• 2 weeks later...

You seem to be very "project" orientated. Is there anything else you could build for the tank to help you focus on it?

You seem to be very "project" orientated. Is there anything else you could build for the tank to help you focus on it?

Haha, I can't think of anything at the moment, I would like to add a ATO and a controller in the future though Shelley. I am having some success in keeping the orange digi and other SPS so far. I am thinking to add more digitata possibly and just let it grow out. The 4 sexy shrimp seem happy as well, they should since they have run of the tank. I'm okay with the tank, I think I just need to add some more coral. Didn't want to do that too soon in case they would not do well.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has changed really, I hope to do some work on adding corals soon. I will take an FTS after that is done. I have been focusing on my 20 gallon lately. Thanks for your interest Enigma. :D

Nice pico.

Thanks Andrew, I still need to add some corals, still a bit bland looking. Work in progress, I have been focusing on my 20 G lately :D

Came here for update, came out :(

Sorry Espresso, I have been focusing in my 20 gallon, I am thinking to add some corals to the Pico next week and take some more shots. For now all I can say is everything is good. I have 4 Sexy shrimp in there and they seem happy as can be. I put a digitata branching, birds nest, and a monti encrusting in a while ago, they seem to be doing well so far. It was kind of an experiment to see if they would do well in a Pico, I'm pleasantly surprised. Equipment is working well, I think the GFO reactor has really helped make this pico successful thus far. NO3=0.0 and PO4=0.00 on the Hanna checker. The BB is a dream, so glad I did it. Like to have another digi (German Blue) and more shrimp (anemone, bumble bee) in the tank soon, see if I can find them. I think I may have to re-name this Pico soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, I have removed some corals from the pico last week, they were not doing 100%, I put them in my 20 gallon for a while to perk them up again. Strangely the digitata and monti encrusting are doing the best, but growing slow. I am also going to lower the LED's (3" from water line) to help solve this problem of slow growth. There are no optics on the LEDs so this should be fine. I have 18 watts cree LED over the pico.

I am going to make a small modification to my GFO reactor:

7022155335_94ab0eb0f0_z.jpg

I'm going to fit it for bio-pellets, I have had a lot of success with BP on my 20 gallon so I thought I would try it here on the pico. May be the smallest tank in history to use BP. I do have a skimmer running on the pico as well so it should be fine. Two reasons for the switch to BP, GFO is very effective at removing PO4 but not so great at removing NO3 (it doesn't), BP should solve this problem better for both PO4/NO3 and it is much cleaner. GFO is expensive and messy to work with. My only issue in converting over to BP is the seeding time, if I take the GFO out and put BP in, it will take at least 30 days to become effective, even with seeding them with bacteria. I will figure something out for this. Will update further when I do the conversion. And I will post some tank pics detailing the changes soon as well, just been busy.

I'm going to fit it for bio-pellets, I have had a lot of success with BP on my 20 gallon so I thought I would try it here on the pico. May be the smallest tank in history to use BP. I do have a skimmer running on the pico as well so it should be fine. Two reasons for the switch to BP, GFO is very effective at removing PO4 but not so great at removing NO3 (it doesn't), BP should solve this problem better for both PO4/NO3 and it is much cleaner. GFO is expensive and messy to work with. My only issue in converting over to BP is the seeding time, if I take the GFO out and put BP in, it will take at least 30 days to become effective, even with seeding them with bacteria. I will figure something out for this. Will update further when I do the conversion. And I will post some tank pics detailing the changes soon as well, just been busy.

I'm still in awe of this reactor. Following.

Thanks Kat, I will keep you posted when I do the modification to it :)

albertthiel

looks like a real great reactor ... Did you make this or it commercially available and fitted on to what looks like an Eheim little pump ... what flow rate are you pushing through it if I may ask ?

Me too ... is this a commercial unit ?

Nice! A project to re-engage your interest. ;)

So right :)

looks like a real great reactor ... Did you make this or it commercially available and fitted on to what looks like an Eheim little pump ... what flow rate are you pushing through it if I may ask ?

Me too ... is this a commercial unit ?

This is made from scratch Albert using acrylic, the pump is a Eheim pushing roughly 60-80 GPH. Works like a charm for GFO but I am now going to do a small modification to accommodate Bio-pellets.

albertthiel
So right :)

This is made from scratch Albert using acrylic, the pump is a Eheim pushing roughly 60-80 GPH. Works like a charm for GFO but I am now going to do a small modification to accommodate Bio-pellets.

Thanks, i kind of had the impression that is was not a commercial product. Nice work on it ! Is it in a sump?

Albert

Thanks, i kind of had the impression that is was not a commercial product. Nice work on it ! Is it in a sump?

Albert

It's a great DIY isn't it Albert. This thread is very short, do read from the beginning. Christine has some amazing skills and an even better setup. Your questions will be answered too of course but it is a build that is worth reading.

albertthiel
It's a great DIY isn't it Albert. This thread is very short, do read from the beginning. Christine has some amazing skills and an even better setup. Your questions will be answered too of course but it is a build that is worth reading.

I viewed the entire thread and all I can see "this is amazing" and indeed her DIY skills are SUPERIOR ...

Wow ... great work and great skills in putting it all together.

I used to be in the manufacturing business many years ago so I know how intricate and sometimes complex building reactors and modifying tanks can be, and what I have seen here is definitely top top notch.

Great work by NanoTopia indeed.

I am bookmarking this thread for sure !

Thanks Christine for the very detailed pics of how you put it all together.

Albert

I viewed the entire thread and all I can see "this is amazing" and indeed her DIY skills are SUPERIOR ...

Wow ... great work and great skills in putting it all together.

I used to be in the manufacturing business many years ago so I know how intricate and sometimes complex building reactors and modifying tanks can be, and what I have seen here is definitely top top notch.

Great work by NanoTopia indeed.

I am bookmarking this thread for sure !

Thanks Christine for the very detailed pics of how you put it all together.

Albert

Albert/Kat, your compliments mean so much to me. I set out to make the things I cannot find in store. In the case of the reactor, I couldn't find anything with such a small foot print to fit into my back chamber. This reactor took a while to build and I am quite happy with it however, I might make a few minor adjustments on it if I were to make it again. The modifications I have planned for the conversion to bio-pellets will be to change the inside assembly completely. I hope to do this in the next month and will detail it here on this thread.

Again, thank you all for following here :D

albertthiel
Albert/Kat, your compliments mean so much to me. I set out to make the things I cannot find in store. In the case of the reactor, I couldn't find anything with such a small foot print to fit into my back chamber. This reactor took a while to build and I am quite happy with it however, I might make a few minor adjustments on it if I were to make it again. The modifications I have planned for the conversion to bio-pellets will be to change the inside assembly completely. I hope to do this in the next month and will detail it here on this thread.

Again, thank you all for following here :D

Thank you and I will be sure to follow your thread and see what modifications you are making.

I posted a link to your thread on mine ... as readers there may not have seen all the great DIY work that you have done.

Thanks again

Albert

Thank you and I will be sure to follow your thread and see what modifications you are making.

I posted a link to your thread on mine ... as readers there may not have seen all the great DIY work that you have done.

Thanks again

Albert

Thank you again Albert, I am honoured to have you follow this pico, now I need to step up my efforts on it, that is with you watching, LOL. I have injured my hand building a waterfall/pond in my back yard just yesterday, nothing serious, but it has set me back a little. Never built a waterfall before, hard work, should have stuck to picos :P

albertthiel
Thank you again Albert, I am honoured to have you follow this pico, now I need to step up my efforts on it, that is with you watching, LOL. I have injured my hand building a waterfall/pond in my back yard just yesterday, nothing serious, but it has set me back a little. Never built a waterfall before, hard work, should have stuck to picos :P

With all the great work you do, I cannot "but" follow your thread as I want to see what else you will be coming up with C.

Sorry to read you hurt yourself ... those rocks for waterfalls can "bite" you indeed, not as bad as Fireworms though :)

Hope it heals quickly.

I know what you mean about waterfalls though, when I lived in New Mexico I had a pond and built a waterfall for it as well, and yes it is a little more intricate than what we originally think it will be, but eventually we find out how to finish it, and I am sure you will too if it is not completely done yet.

Thanks for all your pics on this thread ...

Albert

Orange Montipora is finally starting to colour up, in what I believe is a response to additions of K, specifically Zeovit's K-Balance Strong additive. Polyps appeared orange originally now taking on a blue hue. Growth is slow however.

7612125114_a93bee9e78_z.jpg

This was about two months ago:

7161699586_ac1d309d3a_z.jpg

Archived