Pod Your Reef

BioCube 14 Gallon

xDetroitMetalx

xDetroitMetalx

ReefCleaners order came in this morning. Here is what I ordered vs what was in the box!

15 gallon quick crew:

15 Dwarf Ceriths - I received 91

5 Nassarius - I received 7 + a small pebble that looked like one and was probably supposed to be one

9 Florida Ceriths - I received 12... I think.... I lose count because one of them was a hermit crab and surprised the hell out of me!

3 large & 4 medium Nerites - I got 15

So far I haven't found any losses... At first I thought the hermit was dead from the long trip but when I reached in the bag he flenched back, I was excited for him. I slowly placed him in the tank on the rock and he stretched for it like a piece of cake or something. He already eating off the rocks! He is very pale, I've never seen on like that at an LFS before. I've never had luck with nassarius snails before so we will see how they go. My favorite so far are the dwarf ceriths, there are just so many of them O_O

xDetroitMetalx
Yeah, John is not stingy about setting us up. :)

No kidding, I really wish I knew of this service when starting previous set ups, it would have saved me a lot of money.

I needed to spend $5 extra to get a $5 off code so I bought Red Mangroves without reading what they were, I just figured, "Meh, it's free, I'll give them a try!" Now that I see what they are I can see I don't think my BioCube can care for them, doh! I also got the penny algae deal and received some Gracilaria.

I do think I have an idea for the mangroves though and keeping the stock hood look while giving them room to grow and proper lighting, I think it would be cool to keep them somehow.

I like the idea of growing them in a separate container (like a 5 gallon bucket). The roots will eventually get large enough to outgrow that too. Pay close attention as they get large, because the roots are capable of breaking a bucket.

xDetroitMetalx
I like the idea of growing them in a separate container (like a 5 gallon bucket). The roots will eventually get large enough to outgrow that too. Pay close attention as they get large, because the roots are capable of breaking a bucket.

O_O

Uhhhh.... I should give them to someone I guess, haha.

It'll take awhile before they get that big. They are notoriously slow growers, which make them a relatively poor nutrient export system. Although they do export salt. :lol:

xDetroitMetalx

Yea, on the site it said you should mist them so they don't get a bunch of salt creep on them.

On a note, the snails laid a crap ton of eggs O_O

Yay CUC! I just ordered a 5G CUC from Reef Cleaners plus some macros. I hope I don't get TOO many because I already had some snails and hermits hence why I went with a CUC for half the size of my tank! :lol:

Archived