Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

alk high(should i worry)

bsdryder7

so i have been dosing tech cb part a and b for 2 weeks now on my 28nc and have noticed my cal going up to a good level but my alk is sky rocketing from 200 and way above ppm wise cause the api kit only reads 200ppm wich would be 11 drops and i was at 17 drops ??

all corals are super happy so i dont know if maybe the kit is bad ??

how could i lower it ??

ohh also adding seachems mag ....

Red Sea Reefer

What's in your tank and why are you doseing? What salt mix do you use? How often and how much do you WC?

I would look into a better test kit. If you are going to dose you have to know what your perameters are. Unless you are loaded with SPS weekly water changes with a good salt should keep you on track.

If you want to lower your levels again natural decline and water changes are the answer.

C.I._Reefer

yeah, you are overdosing. Your cal and alk should be balanced before doing an equal 2 part. Let it come down naturally via consumption and water changes, but stop dosing alk! There really isnt much reason to dose on a thank that small. Unless you are loaded with sps, a 4-5g water change weekly should keep your cal and alk in check.

well i use reefcrystals and i do weekly 5 to 7 gal water changes ......i have a mix of lps and zoas/palys a few maxi minis bta ....

but before with the weekly wc my calc wouldnt get above 340 and alk around 180ppm.....and my mag kept getting real low ....i have chempure elite and purgin in the back

i do use my lfs ro water and havent checked it but that still doesnt answer the fact that i cant keep everything where i want it with weekly wc???

Red Sea Reefer

What are the persmeters of your freshly mixed SW? What salinity are you mixing too?

I use IORC too and my mix seems to be around CA 460-480 with Alk of 11. I add 1 tbs of Kalkwasser per gallon of RODI to my top off resivor and my levels are steady with a tank full of LPS.

I would double check your testing. That CA dosent sound right for RC.

C.I._Reefer
What are the persmeters of your freshly mixed SW? What salinity are you mixing too?

I use IORC too and my mix seems to be around CA 460-480 with Alk of 11. I add 1 tbs of Kalkwasser per gallon of RODI to my top off resivor and my levels are steady with a tank full of LPS.

I would double check your testing. That CA dosent sound right for RC.

+1... Sometimes my ALK mixes up a bit low with RC, but i have NEVER seen my cal below 440 ppm with freshly mixed saltwater.

i get my salinity to 1.026

i have never tested the fresh mix but im going to do another 5 gal change today and i will check ...

well i just tested my freshly mixed saltwater

cal....420

alk....19 drops (api test) why is this so high all of a sudden could it be my lfs ro water is bad ??

or is it the test kit ??

Red Sea Reefer

Must be the test kit. If that was accurate your PH would be way off and your corals would not be happy. What's the expiration date of the test kit?

Edit: I would not trust my RO/DI to a LFS. Do you st least have a $25 TDS meter to check it. If not get one.

ya my PH is 8.2 can bad RO/DI water make your alk high ???

i did alk test on my little 2 gal pico and it was 13 drops so i dont know if the test is bad or what and i did the fresh mix again still high as hell thats why i am thinking it is his fresh water ??

Red Sea Reefer

I would get another test kit and my own RO/DI if I were you. As stated earlier at the very least you need a handheld TDS meter to test the water before you buy.

Archived