Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Euphyllia Hammer Coral

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Over the past few days I have noticed that my Euphyllia Hammer Coral has sprouted a longer than usual tentacle. It's slightly translucent, out all the time and has a bulbous tip rather than the classic hammer/anchor shape. Anyone know what it might be? (it has just recently grown another mouth as well, had it for just over 3 months)

post-67430-1332612219_thumb.jpg

post-67430-1332612273_thumb.jpg

nathanq.inc

Thanks! I thought that's what it might have been but I was just double checking. It's a bit frightening how long it is... anyway of reducing the size? spot feeding?

altolamprologus
Thanks! I thought that's what it might have been but I was just double checking. It's a bit frightening how long it is... anyway of reducing the size? spot feeding?

Sweepers can get up to 6 inches long be sure to watch out for the corals near it. Euphyllias usually put out sweepers when the flow is too high, so you may want to look into that. I've never heard of them putting out sweepers for food, nor have I witnessed it, but a good feeding is always nice.

godfathernikki

That only happens to mine when I put it too close to another coral. I think it can sense it is there somehow and tries to sting it. If you give the offending coral some more distance, the tentacles will shrink back down to normal size.

nathanq.inc

I think the offending coral is my Kenyan Tree. It's living right behind it in the shelter of a dark cave. It seems to be stuck pretty fast but I'll try and get it out tomorrow during my water change.

altolamprologus
I think the offending coral is my Kenyan Tree. It's living right behind it in the shelter of a dark cave. It seems to be stuck pretty fast but I'll try and get it out tomorrow during my water change.

Why would you have a kenya tree in a dark cave?

Why would you have a kenya tree in a dark cave?

It will still grow if its getting a bit of light... You can't kill those things! :lol:

nathanq.inc

Between my serpent sea star and my late tuxedo sea urchin I couldn't keep track of where they were dragging the little bugger to. He's quite a bit bigger than when I last saw him.

nathanq.inc

took him out of his cave and moved him, still sweepers from the hammer but I'm not too bothered, they add a bit of variety to the rest of the tentacles and aren't in touching distance of any of my other corals :). I found some more mushrooms under the rock as well!

Archived