ReefCleaners.org

My 10g Newbie Nano

bryanphillips

bryanphillips

Bryan's 10g

Although I am not new to saltwater fish keeping, my attempts at keeping corals or any type of "reef" is limited to maybe three specific specimen. I started this tank on January 28th with a tank and some pieces I already had, attempting to start a simple and "cheap" reef - at least relatively haha so here's what I ended up with!

Tank

-10g AGA standard glass aquarium

Filtration & Equipment

- AC 50 Fuge/Mechanical ( Right now just holding mechanical as trying to deal with lighting options)

- Aqueon 500

- Hagen 50W

- 15lbs of LR

- 10lbs of LS

Lighting

- CFL 13W clamp over AC

- CFL 13W Actinic/Blue Party Bulb over center (4 bucks at HD :) )

- 1X BoostLED clamp w/ 2 Royal Blue, 2 Cool White, 1 Warm White; 60 degrees

- 1X BoostLED clamp w/ 3 Royal Blue, 1 Cool White, 1 Warm White; 60 degrees

Inhabitants

I don't know what sub species my corals are because I am extremely new to all this but I can tell you what in there by common name ha!

Fish

- a pair of clownfish

Inverts (all my inverts were locally collected except for the scarlets)

- 20 Nassurius Snails

- 6 common Hermits

- 2 Scarlet Red Hermits

Corals

- Kenya

- Very Explosive Green Mushrooms

- Trumpet

- Turquoise Ric

- Red/Green Acans

- Green/Peach Acro

- GSP

- Eagle Eye Zoas

- Dragon Eye Zoas

- Green Polyp Orange Birdsnest

- Frogspawn

- Red Monti Cap

- Some weird little green anemones that run around (not aiptasia!) ha

So without further adieu, my tank..

TankUTD.jpg

bryanphillips
This looks really nice :) I like it!

Thanks Paige!

I'm working harder than shows-a lot of trial and error, with emphasis on error :P Im hoping once things mature a bit ill have more of the corals mounted off the bed. I also hope to get a hold of my gf's camera as the tablet doesn't produce the most crisp images... at all.

That's a nice monticap. Also, I think you just gave me the common name for my green mushroom. They are stunning irl, aren't they? I've only seen a handful of greener coral more vibrant than those mushrooms.

Moar pix plz. :lol:

bryanphillips
That's a nice monticap. Also, I think you just gave me the common name for my green mushroom. They are stunning irl, aren't they? I've only seen a handful of greener coral more vibrant than those mushrooms.

Moar pix plz. :lol:

Thanks Joel!

Believe it or not, the monti was almost completely flat when I got him about a month ago. Of all things, I wasn't expecting my SPS to take off! Cant wait for him to start the full cupping process ha. Pics will come, I'm too busy taking mental pictures as I stare to get the camera :lol:

bryanphillips

snailatfrog.jpg

Gota love actinics so you can watch your inverts roam around, here's a snail starring at my frog

trumpetsweeping.jpg

Heres my trumpet sweeping, any suggestions on what i can feed my acans and trumpets and shrooms etc.? As of now I'm not supplementing with anything. The only one I have fed is the frog every so often i drop him a silverside.

bryanphillips

cleanerfeed.jpg

My Cleanup Crew enjoying some dinner - a silverside.

I was at the LFS today looking at 75g tanks.. tempting ha

bryanphillips

One of my clowns died because of being so picked on by the other I guess. He wasnt getting much food and he was turning real dark before he died. I decided to go with a sixline wrasse to replace him. You can also see the new xenia i got in the top right.

sixline.jpg

This is just a new acan I got, unfortunately you can not see how pretty it is but it has real nice orange and greens on the side polyps hopefully it grows up looking cool.

acan.jpg

bryanphillips
I like the new six line! Sorry to hear about the clown though :(

Ya bummer. That's actually the first fish I've had die in my care, other than cichlids. But the wrasse is a very cool addition and is always swimming around picking at stuff and diving in and out of holes. Cool fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build but sorry about your CF loss man. :( Six-lines is a good addition to nano, I hope it'll be fine. By the way, do you think to add a shrimp in your tank in the near future?

cleanerfeed.jpg

They're amazing lol, I thought they eating each other. :)

bryanphillips

I have so many nass that I have to feed them regularly and they can eat about three silversides a week in a matter of minutes. Literally just a skeleton afterwards.

I do want a shrimp but have never had one and don't know which one to get. I like the bloods but dont know anything about keeping them. Do you have to add iodine or anything and do you have to spot feed? Also don't know if my sixline will pick on him, he is kinda aggressive.

Archived