Coral Vue Hydros

Topless Fluval Edge *Idea Planning*

Jmifland

Jmifland's Topless Fluval Edge

The first saltwater aquarium I had was kept inside of a Fluval Edge. After a couple weeks I started to notice how nice the tank was but how difficult it was to maintain. The small opening at the top of the aquarium made maintenance very difficult. Water needed to be siphoned out of the tank just to stick your hand into the tank remove a snail from the powerhead every now and again. It took me a couple months but I finally built a 40 breeder setup for my corals and clowns to call home. That tank thread is below but needs a few more updated photos. I decided that I wanted to build a nursery for Acan and Yuma corals. I was originally going to purchase an ADA rimless aquarium but came across a thread where someone had removed the top from the tank. I was going to remove it by slowly cutting the silicone around the top with a razor blade but found that hitting the top with a hammer and removing each piece separately was much easier and only took about 10-15 minutes. Now that you have read my life story I am going to give some actual information about the aquarium.

Equipment List:

Aquarium: Topless Fluval Edge (Received)

Light: LEDTRiC PAR38 "Zooman72" Full-Spectrum 18W Reeflamp (Ordered)

Light Mount: BoostLED Reef Lamp Clampp (Ordered)

Filter: Fluval 206 Canist Filter (Pending)

Filter Media: Purigen and BRS GFO/Carbon (Pending)

Substrate: CaribSea Bahama Oolite (Pending)

Powerhead: Spray Bar from Canister Filter (Pending)

Topless Fluval Edge:

IMG_0945.jpg

Topless Fluval Edge Seams:

IMG_0946.jpg

I have a random idea that I have been thinking about recently. I would like to take some nice pictures from the top of this shallow aquarium and was thinking about having the water flow over the edges of the aquarium and then collected in a small glass/acrylic aquarium that is only about 1-2" high and have the canister filter collect from there. I don't think this would be too difficult but I don't want to make this aquarium more work than it needs to be. Anyone have any opinions on that idea?

I am currently at work so I don't have any pictures of the aquarium but i will be posting them up tonight when I get home. I really just wanted to get some ideas circulating before I start purchasing all the equipment. Planning before purchasing saves me money.

Zero Edge is a company that makes them but I was thinking about making one of my own. I don't think it would be too difficult but I think it is more work than I want to put into it. I could just turn the canister off to get some good pictures and then once I am done I can start it back up. Maybe when I move into a house I'll build something like that.

I use to work at a Reef Store many years ago, we had one of these tanks on display. The biggest problem I found with them is up keep with the salt creep and spray/splash on anything around it. You may not see it actually happening, but it is. You will notice anything around it will eventually start showing either damage from the salt or have salt on its surface.

If taking top-down pictures is what you would like to do, I would suggest just turning off the pumps or using some top of acrylic box for taking pictures.

It has been so long since I used one of those that I completely forgot about that! Even if the flow is really subtle would the splash still be that bad? I think I have already decided against the waterfall effect but I think it would be interesting to try out sometime in the future. For now I will just keep it simple, I was thinking about maybe adding some vibrant hermits to add some extra color but the hermit crabs I have now tend to run around on top of my zoanthids and eat leftover food within their branches and any algae that grows. Would the hermits stress or damage the yumas/acans?

aretreesfree

I did the same thing to my fluval edge i got on clearance. I immediately took the top glass off, knowing i would hate working on it. I used it as a planted tank. I loved it. Had it in a bookshelf with a Zoomed 501 and one T8 bulb suspended. It grew lots of plants for me. I'll be watching this, as I would like to set up it as a salty pico possibly.

I was just talking with John from Reef Cleaners and it looks like I will be stocking the tank with 4-5 Scarlet Hermit Crabs along with the Acans/Yumas. I just ordered a Reef Lamp Clamp from BoostLED and I ordered the Full Spectrum Par38 Bulb from LEDTRiC this afternoon. Both should be shipping out on Monday. I will see what I can do about picking up some sand on Sunday/Monday and seeing if I can get the cycle started with an AQ20 I have sitting around until I get the money for the Fluval 206 Canister Filter.

I am also going to do my best to get some pictures of the topless fluval edge uploaded before I go out of town tonight so that people can at least see what that looks like.

I was thinking about adding a sump to the tank and was going to go with the following setup. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm not sure if I should get the one with teeth and just place the overflow a little below the lid in case the teeth get clogged or if I should just get the 200gph rated overflow without the teeth and just have it actually overflow into it.

Overflow:

Without Teeth: http://www.glass-holes.com/Nano-Complete-Kit-gh200kit.htm

With Teeth: http://www.glass-holes.com/Super-Nano-con-...odienteskit.htm

Then I was thinking about placing two returns on each side of the tank pointed towards the left and right side wall to create more water turbulence.

Return:

http://www.glass-holes.com/1-2-inch-Bulkhe...ead-bh05txt.htm

Return Nozzel:

http://www.glass-holes.com/Ista-Vortex-Wat...-MPT-az1711.htm

There would be one on each side. Please give input.

Sump it up!! Forget about the canister filter unless you are just using it as a media reactor, even then I do not think it is necessary with the right sump.

Go with the overflow box with teeth.

What type of pump for the return? Depending on this, you might be better off with one return than maybe using a more low-profile power head for flow, MP10!?

Sounds like you are off to the right start with your planning.

I used an MP10 on the Fluval when it still has the top and it was nice. I have it on my 40 Breeder do I would have to buy another. I actually have a spare Phosban 150 I could use as a reactor for Bio Pellets or something. I was thinking of using either a Mini Jet 404 or 606 for the return or getting a standard 200 GPH pump from 'Harbor Freight Tools' although those run really hot.

Harbor Freight is my best friend. I actually have one down the street and yes, although they have great prices on their pumps, they do run really hot. I would use some of them to cure rock or do water changes, but I wouldn't necessarily run one in any of my displays.

I have a 296GPH I think it is in my 20 high sump for the return but it doesn't heat enough to make a problem. I have a controller though so it keeps the heater on just to 78* I have a spare 90GPH HFT pump so I will use it and see what temperatures I get. I will probably buy the rest of the equipment this Wednesday and post some pictures soon.

Really excited to see how the bulb looks when it comes in.

Pictures have been added. I am debating on whether I should find a really cheap cabinet on craigslist and gut it and paint it black or if I should build another custom cabinet for this aquarium. I would like to custom build with a removable top so that I can drop into the top and have the over/return come through and if I ever upgrade the tank I can place another top on it if I need to drill holes in a different location. If anyone knows a place online that has a nice 24-30" cabinet please let me know. I couldn't find anything that would work at IKEA.

I have been looking into the following stands:

Ikea Birkeland Night Stand:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70180521/

Oceanic BioCube Aquarium Stand (29 Gallon):

http://www.marinedepot.com/Oceanic_29_Gall...-FIAQCS-vi.html

I would be waiting the Ikea Nightstand so that it would be black and match the rest of the furniture in the room. It will need to hold a 10 gallon standard sump. I was thinking that the BioCube stand would be best because it is a little closer to the height that I am looking for and also has a built in shelf. I will need to drill a hole through the top for the overflow/return and I would probably do the same for the shelf so that I could run the flex pipe through it and still use it to hold fish food and other equipment. I no longer with at home so I don't have the luxury of building my own stand. If you know of any good sites that would hold my aquarium please let me know.

Archived