SaltCritters.com

Convincing College to Increase Max Fish Tank Size -- Help Me Out!

nyknicks4412

nyknicks4412

So I have to write a proposal to my school to have them change our handbook to allow larger fish tanks...currently the limit is 10 gallons. I hope to have a bigger tank next year at school and want to make a convincing argument for them to change their policy. Anyone have any ideas on what to include in the proposal?

So I have to write a proposal to my school to have them change our handbook to allow larger fish tanks...currently the limit is 10 gallons. I hope to have a bigger tank next year at school and want to make a convincing argument for them to change their policy. Anyone have any ideas on what to include in the proposal?

Does your school actually enforce that rule?

I know a lot of people in schools that have the rule but nobody follows it. Most RAs usually think the tanks pretty cool.

Also, most people can't tell the difference between a 10 gallon tank and a 20 high. Or even a 20L for that matter, just tell them that the tank's dimensions aren't conventional but the tank still only holds 10 gallons.

But if you really want to follow the rules strictly, it's not going to convince a college to change that policy. They're worried about flooding and don't want to run the risk, especially when you'll be moving the tank 2+ times a year.

It's unfair to Nemo! :angry: I thought our educational system supported ethical treatment of animals. Not only should they increase the max size, but they should ban use of 10 gallon and smaller marine tanks.

Disclosure: obviously I don't believe any of the above, but it's worth a shot. :lol:

IMO, the only argument that makes sense against flooding is demonstrating that LR offsets enough water that a larger tank really only holds 10 gallons of water. I'm sure some creative numbers could be found to support this.

no idea. but you can always cheat the system by setting up other tanks other than a standard 10. im sure no one goes and actually measures the tank. I think they choose a 10g because of the standard dimensions. There's not much room inside a dorm room for a longer tank.

biocube 14g??

nanocube 12g

mr aqua 12g

Buy a 10 gallon tank and keep the receipt. Then when they claim the 40 breeder you set up is too big, show them the receipt.

Wait, that probably won't work. :(

It's for the children.

Seriously though, 10 gallons for a dorm room is quite reasonable. And you can do a LOT with a 10 gallon tank. More over, I'm sure it's insurance driven so they're not going to change it. Your only options are to lie about it or use a 10 gallon.

HecticDialectics

Most dorm rooms are like 200 square feet... Where you even gonna put a tank bigger than 10g? Back in the day my roommate and I had a big screen tv. Much cooler than a halfassed tank imo

acropora1981

I kept two 30g tanks, one fresh, one salt, plus a snake and a chameleon in my dorm room. The ra only found out the day I moved out lol. Just don't get friendly with your ra.

I kept two 30g tanks, one fresh, one salt, plus a snake and a chameleon in my dorm room. The ra only found out the day I moved out lol. Just don't get friendly with your ra.

Maybe he is planning to leave room for a co-ed.

there's some really good points here between all the jokes:)

1) unless your RA 1) is an a$$ 2) doesn't like you and 3) is a fish tank nerd themselves, they will not know a 20 from a 10 and won't report you.

2) i have a 383 foot condo, i downgraded from a 45 gallon to a 12 gallon, simply not enough space. cut my apt in half and double the people (your dorm room)-- really not enough space!

3) your college will not change their policy (and i'm a lawyer very good at getting my way). Its a good one, as much as we might hate it. Its too much liability and damage to have large fragile containers of liquid in dorm rooms. Be happy it even allows 10, i wouldn't bring attention to your situation.

4) all that said max space by doing a column or square tank. an AIO would keep it clean--they'll be enough clutter in your room Aqueon 15 column, or a 12-14 NC AP, whatever, will be just the right size :)

show pics when you've got it all set up in the dorm!

Most dorm rooms are like 200 square feet... Where you even gonna put a tank bigger than 10g? Back in the day my roommate and I had a big screen tv. Much cooler than a halfassed tank imo

55" HD LED TV and this video......no pesky fish to feed or tank to clean. You know you will just stare at your tank every day and not get your homework done.

51xjvC7kGFL.jpg

dont keep a tank in college. Waste of money and time. You should be more worried about chasing girls, getting drunk, and pretending to learn something. Enjoy college and have fun!

TheKleinReef

what i did is made real good friends with my RA and i asked him after a term if i could bring a 30g freshwater tank, and he said sure. so just get on good terms with the RA and it might work. but if you're AHD is an absolute **** you might run into problems.

what i did is made real good friends with my RA and i asked him after a term if i could bring a 30g freshwater tank, and he said sure. so just get on good terms with the RA and it might work. but if you're AHD is an absolute **** you might run into problems.

The OP states in his 10 gallon build thread he doesn't have a permanent residence (first homeless reefer? props man) and will be moving the tank several times a year! I would NOT do a 30 gallon! Stick with a 10 or AIO 12-14. what a pain to move a tank that many times!

I just would not want to take the risk of having a tank in college..Especially in a dorm, you never know when some dumb drunk will just wonder in and just pour something into the tank or do something to the tank. I know you will say you will lock the door, but if you have a roommate, will they lock the door all the time? There are so many factors, also not all dorms are air conditioned, I know mine wasnt and it was smoking hot in there. I never would have put a tank in our dorm, never...

I just would not want to take the risk of having a tank in college..Especially in a dorm, you never know when some dumb drunk will just wonder in and just pour something into the tank or do something to the tank. I know you will say you will lock the door, but if you have a roommate, will they lock the door all the time? There are so many factors, also not all dorms are air conditioned, I know mine wasnt and it was smoking hot in there. I never would have put a tank in our dorm, never...

TRUE! I forgot my dorm didn't have AC, it was like 110 degrees in there for a few days!

I didn't think about that...but if you or your roommate are at all popular SOMEONE WILL pour beer in the tank....I wonder how bad that would be....

202533-jackie-chan.jpg

What? Just keep your door closed. I think if you have idiots rummaging through your stuff while you're away you've got bigger issues.

202533-jackie-chan.jpg

What? Just keep your door closed. I think if you have idiots rummaging through your stuff while you're away you've got bigger issues.

keeping the door closed doesn't work with roomates, they will have friends over when your not home to supervise their behavior. I once woke up to about 6 drunk people doing dumb stuff only college freshman would do, and several passing out ON ME... IN MY BED! you can lock the door- you can't keep out your roommate and their friends.

northeastern
keeping the door closed doesn't work with roomates, they will have friends over when your not home to supervise their behavior. I once woke up to about 6 drunk people doing dumb stuff only college freshman would do, and several passing out ON ME... IN MY BED! you can lock the door- you can't keep out your roommate and their friends.

What the hell kind of school did you go to?.... and how bad did your roomate hate you?

I never had a tank in a dorm but I'm in an off campus appt now with my tank in the living room and I feel fine with it. I just make it clear what would happen if anyone goes near the tank. When I move into a 4 bedroom I'll keep the tank in my room to hide it marginally but I still wont be worried.

As to bigger tanks... honestly just lie. RA's aren't rocket scientist just yell out dimensions, conversions and say the tank only holds 9.6 gallons... say it confident and quickly and an RA will most likely accept it, I bet this would work up to 20 ish gallons depending on the dimensions of the tank. Just make sure to not piss the RD off, they can be the real ******* imo... :o

Tell them your studying Marine Bio and coral growth and need it for your classes.

IDK why anyone would limit them to 10 gallons when a 20 takes almost the same amount of space up.

Archived