Coral Vue Hydros

DIY PAR30?

grafxalien

I like the easy of mounting and passive cooling of PAR30 bulbs. however, I don't like not being able to dim the colors independently. Does anyone know if places sell just the body of the par30 setups? That way I can mount my own LEDs in them and wire them to dim-able drivers.

I don't think they have kits like that at all (someone correct me if I am wrong). Usually the issue with the dimmable Par38's is that amping them up can overheat the LED's and the bulb will crap out early. That's usually why commercial Par30's and 38's that are advertised on this site don't drive their LED's all the way up. Orphek's Par38 is said to be "dimmable" I have no idea and there is the LED wholesale bulb (it's cheapo) so just try a normal DIY.

I can sell you 2 bodies for 15 each if you want them?

Could you take some up close pictures of them?

What current do boostled etc drive their leds at to avoid overheating?

I would suggest a DIY Kit or some type of LED Fixture if you want that type of control ability. I think at the point you are going to spend a lot of money and even in the end you are not going to get exactly what you are looking for.

Dimming PAR30/38's is only sufficient when you can hook up some type of fixture to hold the static dim % when used on a timer and in between on/off periods, so you do not have to re-adjust the dimming every day, but again, this can get pricey.

If this is what you really want to do, then I say go for it and let us know how it turns out!

Maybe I misunderstood, are you planning on screwing the lamps in via e26/27 sockets or hard wiring them directly into an external driver which will be plugged in via socket?

plan would be to hollow out the body and have the wires from the LEDs comming out of the end of the screw in portion of the bulb. Then I would hollow out the socket of the fixture to allow me to run the wires through the fixture and to an external driver.

Dimming will be controlled by a reef angel controller.

On my other tank I have a DIY 14LED setup. I can do this option again with ~6 LEDs on each side. I just want an aesthetically pleasing way to hang the lights without building another hood. I don't like the look just a rectangular heatsink hanging above tanks.

I am tempted to order a few Gu10's without drivers and go from there.... You'd have a lot of wiring dimming each color back for each bulb (Par 30 or Gu10) but if it were done correctly I think it could be nice.

plan would be to hollow out the body and have the wires from the LEDs comming out of the end of the screw in portion of the bulb. Then I would hollow out the socket of the fixture to allow me to run the wires through the fixture and to an external driver.

Dimming will be controlled by a reef angel controller.

On my other tank I have a DIY 14LED setup. I can do this option again with ~6 LEDs on each side. I just want an aesthetically pleasing way to hang the lights without building another hood. I don't like the look just a rectangular heatsink hanging above tanks.

Ah, okay, got you, sounds interesting.

Archived