inTank Media Baskets

my greatest DIY ever

BGJ223

I have done many DIY projects, but this has to be the best one. Not because of price or looks or anything. Just because of how functional it is.

I don't know if any of you have done this already, but I wanted to share anyway.

This is the Pico cleaner 2012.

IMG_20120321_153602.jpg

My pico is bare bottom and I have struggled with getting airline tubing down to the bottom without overflowing my tank. With rigid tubing attached to soft airline tubing, gunk siphoning is a breeze.

How I did it

Get some 3/16 thin walled rigid tubing

some airline tubing

a heat source (I used a lighter)

A pill bottle

Heat the rigid tubing just a little so it is pliable, then mold your bend over the pill bottle. Cut tubing to necessary length, then attach airline tubing.

• 2 weeks later...

for those with pico sand beds that want to siphon the sant use a 1/2 in rigid pipe. cut to length..silicone rigid air tube in one end makking sure not to plug the air tubing totally.. after cured attach air tubing.. now you made a pico sand bed cleaner...

I donno why i just thought everyone was doing these things in picos already.. if not HTH.

What exactly does this do?

It is a siphon tube. For siphoning gunk out of the aquarium. With rigid tubing it is easier to direct the end of the tube where you want it to go.

A little brush on it would make it even better!

That is a good idea. I have not had much need for a brush, but if I do, maybe drilling a hole though a toothbrush head would work.

only problem with a brush on the end would be that you would make it bigger and therefore fit in less places......but i have plenty of tube coming so i could make 2(one normal and one brushed)

tada!!

081a3ae2.jpg

will try and get one made with a little brush at some point ;)

Nice it came out really well.

and incredibly easy lol, i heated it over the electric hob instead of my lighter as i was scared the lighter would blacken the acrylic.

Builder Anthony

I made a little bit of a cheaper version on a thincker hose i just stuffed a pen in one end and it fit tightly.Its a little shorter but it does help.

Archived