Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fix it with duct tape?

Cheese-Lover

Cheese-Lover

So. I am the idiot that decided to drill their tank. Their tank that happens to be 1/16th glass. And I've never drilled glass before.

562979_371020426253466_100000365358637_1220623_1171837997_n.jpg

This is the second of two hole. The first is perfect.

I was thinking I might be able to get away with attaching a piece of acrylic to the outside and applying alot of goop. Anyone see any issues with this fix?

Tank is <3 gallons. So pressure isn't too much of a problem.

And no. I'm not going to buy a new one. Fix or give up are my two options.

Cheese-Lover
If the tank is less than 3g it couldn't cost too much to replace. Why not just start over with a new tank?

I don't really want to spend ~$100 for another <3g tank. Especially before I even give fixing this one a go.

Silicone into the crack and silicone a piece of glass to the outside of the tank? I'm thinking that would do well....

I would just practice drilling holes on the rest of the tank and buy a new one. You will have practiceded to refine your procedure and hopefully won't repeat the error.

If you fix it I wouldn't put anything live in there until I leak tested with FW for a few weeks. I could see you coming home to a lot of dead coral and fish that are worth more than a new tank cost and then you'd feel kinda stupid about not wanting to buy a new tank!

Cheese-Lover
I would just practice drilling holes on the rest of the tank and buy a new one.

I would, but I have no intention of ever drilling any holes from now on... >.>

If you fix it I wouldn't put anything live in there until I leak tested with FW for a few weeks. I could see you coming home to a lot of dead coral and fish that are worth more than a new tank cost and then you'd feel kinda stupid about not wanting to buy a new tank!

I know what you mean, this tank will probably sit for a few months... Since I'm probably not going to fix it in time for the < 3 gallon comp.

And if I do fix it in time, I wont have had it tested for long enough to risk it.

Thanks guys for the input.

Silicon the inside seam....and get windshield epoxy injectant for the outside ;) also may I suggest cutting a piece of black acrylic to go on the inside - cut a bulkhead hole and silicon the acrylic to the back glass using clamps...then fit your bulkhead through both glass and acrylic this way you don't see the crack on the back ;)...

secret to glass holes is no pressure on the drill. just hold it as straight as possible and let it slowly sink into the whole you are drilling.

Cheese-Lover
secret to glass holes is no pressure on the drill. just hold it as straight as possible and let it slowly sink into the whole you are drilling.

With my drill... There is no slowly sinking with the weight behind it... >.>

I vote duct tape

This holds water. I tried for ####s and giggles... (Not that I am willing to use it with a duct tape fix.)

Get a small pane of glass that covers the WHOLE crack, silicone it to place and drill through the existing hole. Simple and efficient!

Do like mentioned above cut a piece of black plexy the size of the piece of glass you Broke, silicone it inside the tank, drill the bulks and it works good as a repair.

Cheese-Lover
Lol...exactly what I said...

Like you and two others have said.

Its how I am going to proceed...

Like you and two others have said.

Its how I am going to proceed...

Word to your baby momma's grandpappy's second cousin's pet squirrel

Nano reefer20

Fix it the classic way...put your gum on the crack :P

I would do what everyone else said,just silicone the cracks and put acrylic/glass over the affected area and you're all set.

Archived