Cultivated Reef

Gillz's 8g Cadlights Build

KMitch

Alright folks... updates (no tank still, these updates are mods!)

So one of the problems that many people have had with the slide out filter in the back is that it doesn't sit totally square so some water can trickle back and avoid the filter. That won't do! I really like the pull-out concept so I don't want to actually seal the back permanently. Solution was easily identified using that nifty search feature on Nano-Reef.com!

DSC_5879.jpg

DSC_5880.jpg

I purchased some black airline tubing, cut to size and slit lengthwise. This was then slid of the tops of the back pieces and will form a secure fit.

DSC_5889.jpg

(bonus points if you saw the Hokie Bird in my t-shirt. Go HOKIES!)

Next problem - the pump. LOL!

The pump that comes with the tank is 75 gph, which isn't even 10% turnover. It's also the right size for a beta tank! :huh:

DSC_5882.jpg

(Next to a pair of scissors for size comparison)

This is how, if Cadlights had their way, the filtration would look:

DSC_5886.jpg

That will never do.

The removable back proved easy to take to the LFS and engineer a solution. I test fit several power heads and found the Maxi-Jet 900 was a great fit. I cut down the sponge in the back to support it properly and attached a hydro-flo return to the other side. I intentionally went with a 230gph pump- by my math there is probably a 30% decrease in output when you use the hydro-flo dealio. That makes this pump output more like 160gph which is a much more acceptable! I also like the first chamber as a refugium so I decided to make the second chamber the filter chamber and cut the included sponge in half. This will provide space for the Purigen and carbon after the sponge before the water passes through the final sponge.

DSC_5891.jpg

DSC_5890.jpg

Comments and philosophical debate welcome.

The way you have it set up now will feed your fuge with unfiltered, dirty water.

I hope you're OK with that.

Um... yeah? I've never met a copepod that was fussy.

Really?

I've never met a copepod.

I fox with the humans.

You're missing out. Rather tasty. Mini-shrimp cocktail.

Nice 8 gal tank. I seem to remember that quite a few folks had breakage probs during shipping with that brand, but happy once they got a good one. I like the look of them especially with that light. Very sleek!

Are you really gonna use all that foam??? You know what everyone's gonna say, lol.

Are you really gonna use all that foam??? You know what everyone's gonna say, lol.

I might chop some of the stuff in the 3rd chamber. I need a tank with a solid back to engineer if I can get by with no foam if I wedge the pump in place. Ideally I wouldn't have any foam in there (or anywhere) but lacking a tank this is what I have to work with!

My modification for that back chamber will be the one you'll utilize in the future probably.

I took it out. I took a hammer. I repeatedly hit the back until it was in pieces. I then took a razor blade and cut the black plastic out of the tank and the... weird weak glue they used. Then I bought an AC50 and put it on the side. You'll see what I mean when you fill her up. The bottom of the filtration pull out doesn't mate with the bottom of the tank perfectly. With the stronger pump you'll be pulling in sand from the heater chamber and will quickly have a sandless tank.

My modification for that back chamber will be the one you'll utilize in the future probably.

I took it out. I took a hammer. I repeatedly hit the back until it was in pieces. I then took a razor blade and cut the black plastic out of the tank and the... weird weak glue they used. Then I bought an AC50 and put it on the side. You'll see what I mean when you fill her up. The bottom of the filtration pull out doesn't mate with the bottom of the tank perfectly. With the stronger pump you'll be pulling in sand from the heater chamber and will quickly have a sandless tank.

Photos? Not sure I understand what you're doing fully.

The back chamber is junk.

I threw it away :D

Whenever the back chamber slides into the tank it leaves too much of a gap at the bottom of the tank. The pump will suck in the sand from under that gap and it will clog the pump. I entirely removed the back section and use a hang on the back filter on the side. Also gets you more floor space for rockwork.

Don't get me wrong... It's the coolest fish tank ever. I absolutely loved mine. But the back chamber area is poorly designed. The glass is very sexy and the lighting def can grow and keep coral.

My replacement tank will be here today! Shame I am on the opposite side of the country for work.... Good thing my fiancée can pick it up!

We are overdue for an update!

I got the replacement tank in from Fedex and the fiancee was kind enough to pick it up for me. Upon initial inspection there was a scare on the back wall but further analysis identified it as a piece of silicon and we're good to go! :happydance:

After getting back from my trip my live rock had spent 2 extra weeks in a 5 gal bucket, which probably helped to eliminate any significant cycle. I installed everything into the tank, setup the live rock and sand and added the water from my live rock bucket plus some freshly mixed SW to get a full tank.

The MJ900 that I replaced the back pump with was strong enough to cause some problems with balance of water between front and back chambers, but I trimmed the impeller a tad and all better. I also took off the spinner because it was just too dang big!

I'm very happy with the aquascape - it's got some nice holes and a little cave on the bottom left for a future goby home. Also has lots of places for me to put frags at various heights above the light.

I did have one minor scare which was this morning when the temperature read 88*F! After a panic unplug of the heater I figured I should test the POS coralife thermometer against something more reliable -- turns out the temp was right at 79*F as it should have been. Phew.

Initial thoughts - I'm happy with my purchase. It looks good and the removable filter seems to do the trick nicely. I knew I'd end up changing the back pump so that wasn't a shock to me. The little lid that came with is also nice, it has a little notch cut out in one corner to allow feeding without completely removing the lid.

The light seems to be pretty good. It's got a nice blue color to it and I see no reason why the types of corals I want to keep (softies, zoas, shrooms, maybe a rare LPS) won't thrive under it.

I'm going to submit my order for my CUC from ReefCleaners.org today and will probably be looking for my first fish soon since I don't expect much cycle from the tank as it was running in a 5 gallon bucket for several weeks!

K

DSC_6186.jpg

DSC_6187.jpg

DSC_6189.jpg

DSC_6190.jpg

DSC_6192.jpg

• 3 months later...

I know it's been a while but... any updates?

I'm curious about what you did with the filtration system as it doesn't seem to make much sense to me in stock form.

Maybe I missed it but did you upgrade the pump? if so, what dis you go with and are you happy with it?

• 1 year later...

Archived