Coral Vue Hydros

Bubble magus NAC QQ

Dr. Pete

Hopefully, somebody can help me with this. I received the Bubble Magus NAC QQ protein skimmer today. This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. What do I do with the little plastic piece that looks like a tooth pick? I'm not sure where this fits into the skimmer. I can post a pic if needed. Thanks.

Yep. Definitely looks like an impeller shaft. You will have to open the pump intake and pull out the impeller assembly to see it, but I think this one is just a spare.

5536588245_97a27a9349.jpg

Let me know how you like this skimmer. I am less than impressed with my AquaticLife 115 mini skimmer and going with external fuge/sump, so a better skimmer is on my list of things to spend money on :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yep. Definitely looks like an impeller shaft. You will have to open the pump intake and pull out the impeller assembly to see it, but I think this one is just a spare.

5536588245_97a27a9349.jpg

The impellar shaft that comes preinstalled in the pump is made of metal. I replaced it with the ceramic one as seen in this pic. So...metal vs ceramic. Are there any pros or cons to using either one?

the metal ones tend to rust they are normally steel or cheap grade stainless steel and dont last that long. one also wants to avoid metals in the tank ( unless titanium or high grade stainless)

Let me know how you like this skimmer. I am less than impressed with my AquaticLife 115 mini skimmer and going with external fuge/sump, so a better skimmer is on my list of things to spend money on :)

+1 and off topic but I agree

115 Mini was a waste of money IMO. Skimmer upgrade coming this week- AquaMaxx HOB-1 :)

the metal ones tend to rust they are normally steel or cheap grade stainless steel and dont last that long. one also wants to avoid metals in the tank ( unless titanium or high grade stainless)

Thanks. That makes sense.

Archived