Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MrCoral.com Order - TERRIBLE Experience

FireCorals

Chase... the credit card? Glad they treated you right.

Yeah, this is probably the second time in 10+ years I have had to dispute a transaction and was actually quite surprised how well they handled it and how informed the rep was with situations like this. From what he says this is a very common and unethical practice by many merchant holders and a good reason why most of them lose their merchant privileges, not to mention credibility, but after everything I have read about this guy, he has only had a hair left of that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a situation with a "one man show" coral dealer on another forum. I bought some stuff in a "live" sponsor sale & thought I would be okay. Everyone was seeming to praise him. It took quite a few days for him to respond back to me after I paid RIGHT AWAY. He still didn't answer my question when he did respond. I saw him posting multiple new sales on the forum & I even posted in his OWN section of the forum about contacting him. Still no response. I opened up a dispute with paypal & he responds right away.

I responded basically saying I do not like his customer service & want a refund. Now I filed a claim, so we'll see where this goes. I have no worries about spending money. I just wanted to be treated right.

I won't even speak of mr.coral.

I'm having a situation with a "one man show" coral dealer on another forum. I bought some stuff in a "live" sponsor sale & thought I would be okay. Everyone was seeming to praise him. It took quite a few days for him to respond back to me after I paid RIGHT AWAY. He still didn't answer my question when he did respond. I saw him posting new sales on the forum & I even posted in his OWN section of the forum about contacting him. Still no response. I opened up a dispute with paypal & he responds right away.

I responded saying I do not like his customer service & want a refund. Now I filed a claim, so we'll see where this goes. I have no worries about spending money. I just wanted to be treated right.

I won't even speak of mr.coral.

Wow how gay. I won't even mention selling a coral unless I have styrofoam, a box, heat/cold pack, tape, and baggies ready to go that very second. I get paranoid with other peoples money and as a result I try to give them what they want as quick as possible. It stresses me out to "hold" money that's not mine yet.

Wow how gay. I won't even mention selling a coral unless I have styrofoam, a box, heat/cold pack, tape, and baggies ready to go that very second. I get paranoid with other peoples money and as a result I try to give them what they want as quick as possible. It stresses me out to "hold" money that's not mine yet.

Same and I think it is a good trait for a honest business person.

JamieSheffield

I'm sorry for your hassle, but both of your problems come from you not reading directions/warnings posted on ebay and on his own site.

I've had a couple of perfectly satisfactory orders from Mr. Coral, and I think it has to do with my reading the information on his site prior to placing my order (so I understood what "Limit 1" means to him), and I wasn't going to try "corssing the streams" between his regular site and ebay.

He sells pretty nice frags very cheaply, and if you don't expect too much, you'll likely be happy...

Jamie

I'm neither defending or flaming Mr. Coral as I have had experinces in buying from them, some good and some, just O.K.

The question I have is for Nano-Reef, Chris Marks or any one of the mods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was of the assuption that E-Bay auctions were frowned upon. So how is it that a sponsor can do this? Kinda seems like it goes against each other? :huh:

But I do know he won't give refunds if there is a problem with DOA corals. Instead issuing a store credit, which means you have to buy again to use it.

Yet another good reason to support your LFS as well as forum members. My best corals came from people here, on this forum. My second best came from my LFS. I've ordered online several times (mr coral included) and never was as happy as I was at my LFS or here on this forum.

Matt

I'm sorry for your hassle, but both of your problems come from you not reading directions/warnings posted on ebay and on his own site.

I've had a couple of perfectly satisfactory orders from Mr. Coral, and I think it has to do with my reading the information on his site prior to placing my order (so I understood what "Limit 1" means to him), and I wasn't going to try "corssing the streams" between his regular site and ebay.

He sells pretty nice frags very cheaply, and if you don't expect too much, you'll likely be happy...

Jamie

Completely understood about crossing streams, it was worth a try considering they are both his companies, it was only one frag from eBay and I was willing to cover the fees. All he literally had to do was throw this tiny frag in the box with my order from his site (what I like to call good customer service). If not, well, that sucks, but I will deal with it.

But please do not tell me you are willing to defend the 30% cancellation fee. That is absolutely ludicrous and extremely unethical, whether it is in his terms or not it is AGAINST his merchants TOS to charge this fee when he hasn't even approved the charge, nor is he selling me the ORIGINAL products that I ordered. It's an invalid order because he didn't make the necessisary mods to his shopping cart to enforce his crazy rules, instead he allows it to happen, for the shopping car to accept the order and charge my credit, then hold my money ransom til he gets what he wants and that is 1. Buy corals I don't want or 2. Buy more corals I don't want so I can get the corals I actually did want or 3. Take $60 of mine for doing absolutely nothing other than clicking a few buttons.

This is not a professional, legal or ethical business practice no matter how he or anyone else wants to spin it. Sorry, just being frank.

JamieSheffield

Nope, I agree, the 30% cancellation fee is ridiculous, and your CC company will back you up on that...

Jamie

I would say it appears he is in violation of the UCC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Commercial_Code) Since the amount is small (under $5k) and chase is already working on it no need to go deeper in to it. In my case many years ago I was purchasing servers for a project close to $200k the project was canceled by my business partner before the items were shipped, the vendor wanted to charge us a 25% restocking fee...long story short UCC+Lawyer = that vendor going out of business as the state started an investigation of shady business practices :D

1fishmonger
sorry for your ####ty experience :(

you would think that mr coral would learn a thing or two from threads popping up like this every month or so. granted yours is a bit worse than most Ive seen--sorry man

I just dont understand how mr coral can read these and then still respond so stubbornly and not make things right. even if the customer is being a 100% ahole (which you are NOT btw), it's a supplier/retailers responsibility to take the blame.

The reason is because he wants to sell 10,000 frags/year or something and doesn't care how he does it.

Hahahah weren't you the one that was so excited to order from them? How ironic this is, and FYI notice my sig, its revised for you:)

On a side note, I am sorry to hear this but I tried to warn you.

Hahahah weren't you the one that was so excited to order from them? How ironic this is, and FYI notice my sig, its revised for you:)

On a side note, I am sorry to hear this but I tried to warn you.

Guilty as charged :(

There's nothing wrong with wanting to like this website. I want to like it so bad, but it's just executed poorly as is. It's a fantastic model. Cheap small coral frags so you can get variety! Fantastic!

During my order my "WYSIWYG" corals changed in shipping. this was attributed to "discoloration during shipping" but they look nothing like the frags i bought.

Guilty as charged :(

Fair enough, again I'm sorry to hear about this as with every other post synonymous with mr coral. I hope everything turns out ok.

Fair enough, again I'm sorry to hear about this as with every other post synonymous with mr coral. I hope everything turns out ok.

It sounds like it has from what i can tell, but a lesson has been learned.

I am getting my money back in full, not worried about that. I just would of preferred to work out things civilly rather than having to make this thread and wasting my life. I am busy enough completing a sale for my old company, answering questions customers have for my LEDTRic products and shipping out orders.

This is the last thing I needed.

I actually had a customer contact me while I was dropping off orders at USPS requesting if he can change his order to a cheaper model, I grabbed his package, went home replaced it, gave him a partial refund for the order and went back to ship it out.

I know that if you guys aren't happy, I am not going to be successful in this business and even if I am successful without my customers happiness that doesn't make me comfortable, I prefer everyone to be happy and I guess that is where MrCoral and I differ, our business ethics and practices are completely different.

It sounds like it has.s from what i can tell, but a lesson learned.

Amen, I'm just surprised Sonny has not chimed in yet.

Hmm as a new reefer, I like being aware of these businesses... Now I can narrow down my list to order from only vendors

1fishmonger
Hmm as a new reefer, I like being aware of these businesses... Now I can narrow down my list to order from only vendors

You should have some pretty good local shops around ;) No need to buy tiny online frags.

Completely understood about crossing streams, it was worth a try considering they are both his companies, it was only one frag from eBay and I was willing to cover the fees. All he literally had to do was throw this tiny frag in the box with my order from his site (what I like to call good customer service). If not, well, that sucks, but I will deal with it.

I don't know what would b so difficult for him to pack them up together. I have combined ebay and website orders with other companies before. It should never be a big deal.

The reality is that he is going to respond to the pressures upon him. People keep ordering from him as is, so he continued to do business as he always has. There are multiple negative postings about him and his frags (I have ordered from him in the distant past, the experience was ok, I got what I paid for) but more recently there seems to be these "I know his reputation is poor, but I am going to order anyway" kind of transactions and I have to wonder why?

Keith

You should have some pretty good local shops around ;) No need to buy tiny online frags.

Are you from CO? I think ill stick to my local reefers... not gonna lie but CO has some of the nicest corals I have ever seen ;)

Archived