inTank Media Baskets

NEW! - CPR Nano Reactor- Fits in Biocube

JDK

little_ocean_treasures

You should never tumble carbon because it's breaks down and ends up in your tank which is not good at all. And GFO should tumble lightly...kind of like a light surface boil is what should be happening. Like the top layer is bouncing up and down ever so slightly.

I just added a BRS GFO reactor to my BC 29 two months ago with only 4 Tablespoons running it right now. My phosphates went from 0.16 (before having it) down to 0.00 finally this month. And if I have that thing running anything more than a very light boil I get tiny GFO pieces in my tank and my corals hate it. They close up half way until it clears out.

Basically GFO, which is Granular Ferric Oxide, is actually found in rust. Ferric Oxide is iron and oxygen in crystal form but yes, it comes from rust. So having it directly in the tank is not good either.

So don't ever tumble carbon at all (or Chemi-pure) and only lightly tumble GFO to prevent it from caking together is why it's done. Carbon does not cake and does not need tumbling.

Ive had mine for a couple weeks now and it works great. It cleared up my cyno problem right away, I run it with PhosBan and it does tunble very lightly. Very happy with the reactor and its totally worth investing in.

Did you put floss at the top and bottom as per the original post? I just got mine up and running this week. Fits in an Aquapod12 chamber 1. Had to relocate my heater and skimmer intake. Not sure I have it set correctly, but I put floss in the bottom and top as per OP's instructions. With the floss in the tumbling action is greatly reduced per my observation.

Did you put floss at the top and bottom as per the original post? I just got mine up and running this week. Fits in an Aquapod12 chamber 1. Had to relocate my heater and skimmer intake. Not sure I have it set correctly, but I put floss in the bottom and top as per OP's instructions. With the floss in the tumbling action is greatly reduced per my observation.

I just put floss on the bottom. I put the finest mesh screen that came with the reactor on the top where the lid is to catch fine particals. Adjusted the flow of the powerhead so there is just very little movement at the top of the GFO and its working great. I might have put alittle to much GFO in the reactor but everything seems to be doing very well and its been about 2 weeks.

Red Sea Reefer

Just ordered mine. Looks like there still tweaking the design. The current model width is 1.75 vs the original 2 inches. Also a different strainer mechanism on the top lid. Price is $45 plus shipping. I have been running GFO in a canister but wanted to switch to this. I'll keep carbon in the canister and place the nano reactor in chamber 1 of my BC.

I got one and i think i'm going to return it... the powerhead is so loud!!! anyone else having this issue?

Can't hear my powerhead over the other stuff in my tank. I would say mine is pretty near silent. Maybe try taking it apart and snapping back together? Could be a loose cover that is vibrating?

Anyone have extra GFO they want to sell? These reactors only need a few tablespoons and the BRS product sizes are huge. Please PM me. Thanks.

Also looking for a comparison between this reactor and the two fishies phos reactor

Red Sea Reefer
Anyone have extra GFO they want to sell? These reactors only need a few tablespoons and the BRS product sizes are huge. Please PM me. Thanks.

Also looking for a comparison between this reactor and the two fishies phos reactor

The GFO will last a lifetime and save you big$$$ compared to CPE.

Big differences between this and TLF are: (1) size, TLF is ridiculously huge for the amount of GFO we use and (2) the CPR is in tank, no possibilities of leaks.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had it up for about a month. Using phos ban and Pura pads cut to size for the top and bottom. Seems to have reduced a red slime issue I was having on the sand. Fits in chamber one of my ap12.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Bought it! Thanks for the info.

Still looking for High capacity BRS GFO if anyone has more than they need on hand.

Hi metrokat

You still using the CPR tumblr?

It so happens I have one of these being delivered tomorrow. I purchased mine from Premium Aquatics. This will replace a media reactor I bought from sapphire aquatics. My plan is to put it in chamer 1 of my BC29. I'm not going to use floss, but will use a small media bag I have instead.

• 2 months later...

Not to bring up an old post, but....

Is anyone still using this nano reactor?

How is it working?

Thanks

SF

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking about buying this one. Or the smaller mini. Has anyone expirienced microbubbles or any issues. I'm currently losing th fight with my I'm ghost skimmer spewing microbubbles everywhere. Lol

Archived