inTank Media Baskets

NEW! - CPR Nano Reactor- Fits in Biocube

JDK

Last week I received a new product. The CPR Nano-Reactor. It is meant to be used to run biopellets, GFO, or GAC. This model urrently only available on Ebay through Ameka Aquatics:

Dimensions (with pump): 3.25"L x 2"W x 11.5"H

Dimensions (without pump): 3.25"L x 2"W x 8.25"H

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPR-Nano-Reactor-T...=item5ae542e221

xbah3d.jpg

This thing is great. Very small and fits in the middle rear chamber of my Biocube 29. Runs on a little RIO pump with adjustable flow. I was having trouble with phosphates and looking to run some GFO but all the reactors I was looking at required the reactor to be outside the tank. Did not want this. Plus with the BRS calculator recommending 5 tbsp of GFO for my tank the larger reactors seemed like overkill. Ameka Aquatics is currently the only retailer selling the CPR Nano Reactor which technically not released yet. On their website the sell the Beta version of the reactor which is OK. However if you go to their Ebay store they sell a first run factory production model of the actual reactor which will be released. It is an updated version of the beta model and much better IMO. It is also cheaper than the beta model (read the description in ebay store).

Anyone with an AIO nano and some space in the back should check these out. Only thing I had to do was shove some poly filter in the reactor both above and below. Below to keep the GFO from falling out the bottom. and Above to hopefully catch any possible fines from getting out. My algae and cyano is disappearing fast and this product was of great benefit. Highly recommend it.

i need to have it now...... :wub:

When I saw it on Ebay and the dimensions I bought it immediately. Past cpl weeks I have been sorting through different reactors to run small amounts of GFO and this thing was perfect.

how often do you change the media?

Have been changing out the GFO every 2-3 days until I get the phosphates down (hanna meter). Once they are down to the level I want I will change every 3-4 weeks. With high levels of Phosphates GFO can be exhausted in 24 hours once the pellets reach capacity. I also plan on adding BRS Rox carbon to the reactor my BRS order arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

This thing is great. Would recommend it to anyone running a sumpless AIO. Tumbles the GFO very well. Had to add some filter floss on the bottom of the reactor chamber to prevent small pieces of GFO from falling out. Also placed filter floss in the upper portion of the reactor chamber to catch fines.

Currently running BRS Rox carbon in the top of the chamber and GFO in the bottom. One of the best purchases I have ever made for my tank. 10x better than passively running CPE or Purigen in a media basket.

Just ordered one. Cant wait to see how well it works.

Remember you are going to need to add filter floss to the bottom of the reactor chamber and then put the GFO on top of that. I would also suggest putting some filter floss in the upper portion of the reactor chamber. Good luck think you will like it.

At those dimensions, looks like it would fit a JBJ28 also

Yes I would think so. There is plenty of room in the middle chamber of my BC. It fits next to the media basket with plenty of room on all sides.

Thanks ive got filter floss on hand and will test it first in a bucket to get the flow right while the GFO rinses. I'll update this post after that. Thanks again JDK.

Thanks ive got filter floss on hand and will test it first in a bucket to get the flow right while the GFO rinses. I'll update this post after that. Thanks again JDK.

Here is a pic:

4hw1gp.jpg

How can you tell how well the media is tumbling? Just wondering cause you won't' be able to see it once its in the chamber, how would you know to adjust the flow to make it tumble more or less....????

Also,with the carbon separated as in your pic, does it tumble? Or is that not necessary for carbon? Going to try one in my AP12 chamber 3 or 2. So I'll let you all know if it fits.

How can you tell how well the media is tumbling? Just wondering cause you won't' be able to see it once its in the chamber, how would you know to adjust the flow to make it tumble more or less....????

I tested it in a bucket with water to see how much it is tumbling and tuned it in to where I wanted it then placed it in the rear chamber. There is a valve that you adjust on the pump to control the flow. I prefer very little tumble with GFO though.

Also,with the carbon separated as in your pic, does it tumble? Or is that not necessary for carbon? Going to try one in my AP12 chamber 3 or 2. So I'll let you all know if it fits.

No the carbon does not tumble. It is sandwiched between the two pieces of filter floss. Both filter pads are a little oversized to keep them snug in the chamber. The upward flow and pressure of the water keeps the filter pads and carbon up top. However if you kill the power sometimes the bottom piece of filter pad will slide down the chamber a little if you did not use a big enough piece of pad.

Aunt Minnie

Any idea when the production model will come out and if it will have any major changes? I was under the impression that the CPR Nano-reactors currently available on eBay are "factory seconds" or pre-production prototypes.

Any idea when the production model will come out and if it will have any major changes? I was under the impression that the CPR Nano-reactors currently available on eBay are "factory seconds" or pre-production prototypes.

No the prototypes or "beta" models were being sold by Ameka a cpl months ago. I believe they still sell them as well not sure though check their website you can see the differences between the Beta model and this model. These are listed as "first" production run models which are probably a small test run before final production is put into gear. The model I have and linked to I believe is the final version. It is also 37$ where I believe the full release model will be 50$. So if it is the same model it is quite a deal. It came with an instruction manual and mesh screens (biopellet use?) so I believe this is the model to be released.

This might be a dumb question, I have no experience with reactors...Why don't you tumble the GFO and carbon together?

I believe some people do but most do not. The Idea is that one is harder (not sure which one) than the other and will break up the softer media thus releasing fines and dust into the tank. I have read of people running them together but I would not recommend it. Some people do not even tumble the gfo at all in fear of fines getting into the DT.

looking at the measurements, this reactor can fit in chamber 1 right?

Never thought of that but yes it looks like it will. I would measure to be safe though. However remember if it is sitting on the bottom of chamber 1 the water level will be above the top of the reactor. I do not see how that would be a problem since flow is going upward and out just remember it will be submerged unless you raise it up.

Yeah, was thinking of placing egg crate to raise it a bit so the little but of sand in there doesn't get sucked in the pump

Ive had mine for a couple weeks now and it works great. It cleared up my cyno problem right away, I run it with PhosBan and it does tunble very lightly. Very happy with the reactor and its totally worth investing in.

I dont see why not? Maybe to be on the safe side use filter floss and sandwich the Purigen in between it. But don't take my word for it. See what others say.

Archived