Cultivated Reef

TO fuge or not to fuge

gbru316

I'm in the middle of a 10g AIO build. The filtration section is the width of the tank, approximately 5" wide by 10" deep. The first chamber is a hydor nano slim skimmer, and the last chamber houses the return pump (mj 900). The middle chamber (which is roughly 5" wide x 3" deep) was originally going to be a fuge with a ball of chaeto, but now I am wondering if the small amount of chaeto would be worthwhile.

Tank will primarily focus on SPS, with some zoanthids for a little variety.

Would the chaeto make a beneficial addition? Or would I be better off using it to house a nano-reactor with GFO?

godfathernikki
I'm in the middle of a 10g AIO build. The filtration section is the width of the tank, approximately 5" wide by 10" deep. The first chamber is a hydor nano slim skimmer, and the last chamber houses the return pump (mj 900). The middle chamber (which is roughly 5" wide x 3" deep) was originally going to be a fuge with a ball of chaeto, but now I am wondering if the small amount of chaeto would be worthwhile.

Tank will primarily focus on SPS, with some zoanthids for a little variety.

Would the chaeto make a beneficial addition? Or would I be better off using it to house a nano-reactor with GFO?

Depends on your goal. I added a softball sized clump to my 12g, and it has been in there about a month. While I havent noticed it reducing nitrates very much, if at all, it does have pods all over it, which my gobies love to gobble up.

• 2 months later...

Chaeto is pretty weak when it comes to nitrate uptake, especially in a nano. But it does a great job of preventing film algae elsewhere in your system.

GFO reduces phosphates. Not sure it does anything for nitrates. That said, for small systems, I've seen cheato described as a luxury and GFO as a near necessity. {shrug} I've never used GFO myself.

In my experience, I've come to believe that a fuge w/ chaeto is beneficial in the earlier lifetime of a tank. However, the day comes when nuisance algae begin to grow in the fuge/sump area, due to the fuge light, that outplay the gains of the chaeto. The "net" becomes algae in the display. At that point, a reactor or two w/ GFO and carbon can be started, then as that becomes established, the chaeto and the fuge light can be removed. The nuisance algae in both areas will then slowly disappear.

This has been my experience with at least two systems, an Aquapod AIO and my current 40-Breeder.

I can only comment on the chemistry in my reef. I have a crap load of macro algae along with loads of coral and an over stocked fish count. I have zero nitrates, and am skimmerless since Easter. I used to have a large clump of chaeto along with other macros in the tank and it has been suggested that in fact I have a deficiency of Nitrate. (i have some phosphates as I was lax on water changes and feed heavy, this is now under control)

A small amount of Nitrate, apparently, is needed for coral and macro growth.

The folks on the macro forums have told me to remove my chaeto as it is sucking up the nitrates.

Some references:

Nitrate Limited.

Minimal Nitrates are good.

:shrug:

I can only comment on the chemistry in my reef. I have a crap load of macro algae along with loads of coral and an over stocked fish count. I have zero nitrates, and am skimmerless since Easter. I used to have a large clump of chaeto along with other macros in the tank and it has been suggested that in fact I have a deficiency of Nitrate. (i have some phosphates as I was lax on water changes and feed heavy, this is now under control)

A small amount of Nitrate, apparently, is needed for coral and macro growth.

The folks on the macro forums have told me to remove my chaeto as it is sucking up the nitrates.

Some references:

Nitrate Limited.

Minimal Nitrates are good.

:shrug:

+100, I believe in my fuge, and it helps out on PHOS, and nitrate issues ... But everyone's tank is different. So Take the news of the loyals, that are here every day, and run with it. what have u got to loose on trying a refugium ? nothing at all !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I got rid of my fuge and havent looked back. It was a sponge for detrus and other crap, since its removal my sump is much cleaner, and I have less cyano. I rather run my skimmer wetter, change my GFO and simplify my setup, but that is me.

Refugiums can be gunk collectors, but to some extent that's their point. The pods and worms help break it down and make it useful. If taken beyond capacity, then the gunk accumulates and becomes a nitrate factory. But I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing. It puts all of the tiniest gunk in one place. If it accumulates, then remove it. I'd rather siphon my fuge than my sand bed any day. I hate vacuuming display sand. Way too much trouble.

Not that a refugium will make sand siphoning unnecessary, but it can certainly help.

Macroalgaes are extremely good at filtration. I had a macro oriented tank once, and it had 0 nitrates from day 1. That said, chaeto is not really that useful IMO. Other display macros make a tank very clean.

Archived