SaltCritters.com

75w mh sunpod led combo thingy ( now dubed the franken light)

stuie25

im currently running a 75w sunpod with a 14k bulb in it, i like the light but it is very blue. The stock leds in the sun pod are garbage and i lost all the adapters so they dont get used.

I bought a dim4 controler on here from another member and plan on running an aditional 3 white and 3 royal blue leds in the spot where the factory leds were.

im just wondiering about a set of uv leds as well. i love the tank shots of people running uv leds but im just wondering if it will get washed out by the mh and everything else.

the plan is to run one dim 4 channel to a relay for the sunpod ballast, so sunrise will start with the leds and work up to the mh later in the day and then turn off and slowly ramp eveything back down.

I'd really like to see how this works out, post pics if you can during the process. I have a 20" sunpod over my 12ga AP and the leds hang over the side, so it probably wouldn't work for my setup, but it will be interesting to see how it goes for you. Dim4 should be plenty for what you are doing with no need for additional drivers.

il turn this into a build thread as soon as i get started , dim 4 was shipped this week and i think i have eveything else i need.

• 1 month later...

some build pics from my new stand and elect setup got the dim4 and the leds now to gut the sunpod

20120501_122254.jpg

20120501_122244.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

got bored and finally cut up the sun pod this weekend, the leds and MH lamp are all controlled from the dim 4, currently running 3 blue and 3 white leds directly from the dim 4 controller. the mh ballast is wired into a 12v relay in the light that is controlled from the third channel of the dim 4

20120528_110407.jpg

20120528_104227.jpg

currently the leds come on and ramp up in the morning, the mh comes on for two hours then the unit ramps down with the blue shutting off last. since im not using external drivers the leds don't dim as much as id like, in the morning they dont kick in till about 8v so there isint as much dimming as id like so i may end up adding external drivers at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

its currently up and running, not very pretty but it works, currently running 3 blue and 3 white , as thats what the dim4can drive internaly. The white and the blue are on all day, the blue goes off last and the third relay channel, which is supposed to turn a fan on and off runs my relay for the MH ballast which is on from 12pm to 2 pm every day, still adjusting the timeing a bit but so far i like it

20120619_170250.jpg

20120619_170306.jpg

you can tell that there are more blue than white on the left side, becuase the dim 4 does three 1w leds its hard to ballance, i may have to use the fourth channel for more leds

20120619_170149.jpg

i also planning on adding a pipe to the back of the cabbinet fo fly the light from thats why the wires look bad and that getto wood blocking.

Archived