Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Gumdrop Coral Crouchers

melbell86

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post some pictures of my gumdrop coral croucher pair. I have had them for about 5 months now and they are doing great. They were very shy at first but come out often for food. They both love my birdsnest corals, and sit in them all day. If anyone else has pictures please share I would love to see some other gumdrops since they seem to one of the rarer fishes.

407167_10150515963587549_554147548_9089205_929707535_n.jpg

424803_10150608342722549_554147548_9373158_2115754213_n.jpg

045-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

Very cool!! :)

Coral Crouchers are awesome.

thanks! they are really neat little guys. Very curious, and definately have their own personalities.

i almost got one of those today, but someone grabed it off DD before i could buy it

I think I saw that little guy! The one that was blind in one eye?? He was about $20 cheaper than usual too :) I will keep checking the divers den for another!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nano sapiens
Those guys are so adorable :wub:

Yeah, if only I'd see him more than once in a while (they tend to hide a lot). I've named mine 'Goober' :)

After doing some research, there are (4) different species of 'Coral Crouchers' (Caracanthus), but only (2) are commonly imported. The one I have was sold to me as the 'Madagascar Spotted Coral Croucher' (Caracanthus madagascariensis). The other closely related species is known as the 'Gumdrop Coral Croucher' (Caracanthus maculatus).

Edited by Nano sapiens
  • 4 weeks later...

How big?

How Aggressive?

How difficult is it to feed?

These are adorable, but I have a sneeky suspicion that I won't be able to keep one happy in a 10 gallon with a small goby and I'm worried that it would eat my sexy shrimp...

Bongo Shrimp
How big?

How Aggressive?

How difficult is it to feed?

These are adorable, but I have a sneeky suspicion that I won't be able to keep one happy in a 10 gallon with a small goby and I'm worried that it would eat my sexy shrimp...

Half dollar size ish.

Not aggressive, very shy and timid. Don't have anything that would pick on them or try to eat them.

I had to spot feed mine, luckily they already at frozen.

They will eat anything they can fir in their mouths. Sexy shrimp for sure. Remember they are scorpion fish and are predators.

Half dollar size ish.

Not aggressive, very shy and timid. Don't have anything that would pick on them or try to eat them.

I had to spot feed mine, luckily they already at frozen.

They will eat anything they can fir in their mouths. Sexy shrimp for sure. Remember they are scorpion fish and are predators.

Thank you! Guess I might even have to fear for the boxer crabs too... Even if that's not the case, I love my little sexy guys too much to part. Somehow I doubt they'd eat the green-banded goby or the jaguar goby, but the green might steal food; Raphael's a bit of a brat. :lol:

• 4 years later...

I just picked one up last week, he is a dark brick red color and is so cool. He was suffering in the tank at the LFS. He is a bit banged up from some sallylightfoot crabs but is settling in in my 20. He is about an inch long, he likes his live brine shrimp. I don't think a sexy shrimp would fit his mouth.

• Like 1

I just figured out the color pattern of the fish above is similar to the pattern of the corals they like to hide in. It's a perfect match. The one I keep now is a solid color and he lives in the branches of a dead acro type coral. It will be interesting to see if it changes color to match the background over time. I had a forest fire montipora colony which would make a nice home for a pair of the madagascar crouchers. I may start up another colony and look for a pair, they say they will breed in captivity and they lay there eggs under the branches. If the fry were not too tiny to be sucked into the filter and a good food source a person could raise a batch up.