ReefCleaners.org

15 gallon Kessil lit.

miniwhinny

miniwhinny
I really agree with this statement, better to wait for that special coral you really want that fits right in.

Yup, back in the day...I'd snap stuff up just to have that "full" look but then realized I had a tank with very little in it that wow'd me. Plus I'd have the hassle of re homing lol.

Going on the search and waiting for that perfect piece is half the fun. Take that tiny froggie head. I've passed up at least 2 dozen frogs to get the color that this one has. I think when you're patient it makes the "score" even better :) Oh, and you're tank will look REALLY COOL *grin*.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
miniwhinny

Wanted to share my frag/spare/not-good-enough-for-the-main-tank tank.

20L

Via aqua 100w heater

Powerhead for movement.

Baby Radiata

Female mandarin (had well over a year)

Mated pair jigsaw picassos (had about 5 years)

Lots of

zoas,

maxi minis,

toadstool leather,

kenya tree,

duncan,

yellow sun coral,

orange sun coral,

acans,

frogspawn,

sympodium,

mushrooms,

conchs,

turbos,

hermits,

other snails.

I didn't 'scape. I just threw the rocks in. How come it's so hard to scape a display tank and so easy to scape the spare one in the laundry room! Anyhow, just wanted to share.

008-3.jpg

miniwhinny
Is that a huge mushroom?

It is but it was way bigger I measured it at over 11 inches across, Then about 6 months ago it decided to split like an anemone would split it pulled itself apart right through the mouth and then again so I ended up with 3 much smaller ones. They're all healed up now. Luckily for the clowns they make nice soft beds :)

NanoTopia
Wanted to share my frag/spare/not-good-enough-for-the-main-tank tank.

20L

Via aqua 100w heater

Powerhead for movement.

Baby Radiata

Female mandarin (had well over a year)

Mated pair jigsaw picassos (had about 5 years)

Lots of

zoas,

maxi minis,

toadstool leather,

kenya tree,

duncan,

yellow sun coral,

orange sun coral,

acans,

frogspawn,

sympodium,

mushrooms,

conchs,

turbos,

hermits,

other snails.

I didn't 'scape. I just threw the rocks in. How come it's so hard to scape a display tank and so easy to scape the spare one in the laundry room! Anyhow, just wanted to share.

008-3.jpg

Gotta love it when the frag-spare looks better than most peoples display tanks :lol:

miniwhinny
Gotta love it when the frag-spare looks better than most peoples display tanks :lol:

I'm must admit it baffles me...there's no filtration on this tank at all! No skimmer, no HOB. I don't even do the water changes with fresh water. I change 5 gallons a week on my display and it's so clean I use the same water as the "new" water to do a 5 gallon change on this tank. I really over feed. The Radiata eats like a horse and I must feed the clowns 3 or 4 times a day! I do have a massive clean up crew in there so I'm sure that must be making the difference.

buddythelion

As a Z + P lover, it baffles me that no one ever complimented on how GORGEOUS these palys are! I would love to have one these in my z + p garden! What's their name?

1522.jpg
miniwhinny
As a Z + P lover, it baffles me that no one ever complimented on how GORGEOUS these palys are! I would love to have one these in my z + p garden! What's their name?

Thanks :) I love them too and IRL they're even prettier. They don't seem to have a name. I'm be more than happy to frag you a couple for free if you'll just cover postage. PM me if you're ever interested...or trade if you have any nice palys you'd trade for :)

buddythelion

Argh! The pains of shipping. I don't know how to ship nor do I have any z + p's of equal looks ready for fragging. :(

I would definitely like some, and your offer is very generous! I'll be pming you.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

I love those zoas! :wub: , and the maxi minis are insane!!, how I wish we had those here

Btw..thanks for stopping by my thread :D

miniwhinny
Man, those mushrooms are huge! I have one of those in my tank, I didn't realize they get THAT big!

Oh those are the small bits after the mother one split! I measured her at 12 inches across. A few months back she tore herself apart at the mouth and split into 3!

I remember your spare laundry room tank!!! I think you posted about it a couple of years ago and I loved it then. I LOVE it now too :happy:

I agree....your spare frag tank looks nicer than most DT here!!!!!!!

Love that hairy mushroom too!

Yay! love this tank :) I think I have those same hairy shrooms..I took them out of my 125g..one is about 5 inches across and it was bigger and split into 3 :D

I <3 your tank mini.

eddiecorrea

Nice tank. I like the fake sand bed idea. I wish I would have seen that before I setup my tank a few weeks ago.

Saw you might be upgrading to the A350W in the future. Let me know if you sell your A150W. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Nice tank. I like the fake sand bed idea. I wish I would have seen that before I setup my tank a few weeks ago.

Saw you might be upgrading to the A350W in the future. Let me know if you sell your A150W. :D

Thanks Eddiecorrea, still not sure if I need the 350 - there's so much light with the 150. I tend not to know when to STOP MESSING with things lol. If I do get one I won't be selling the 150...learned years ago not to part with stuff too readily because I invariably regret doing so :)

One word of warning about the fake sand bed. They are cool looking and you won't be able to tell it's not loose sand when it's in the tank but...I made mine right in the tank and the epoxy didn't stick to the silicone around the edges. I found it had lifted up ever so slightly but enough to be blowing detritus under there. I ended up having to remove it. You may be better framing it to fit the bottom glass taper it down to the silicone in a way that it looks natural.

I'm convinced I have to try the fake sand bed as well. I have an idea to us egg crate and get it sealed up dry before adding any water. Idk. Well see.

moar pix plz :flower:

- how do u like bare bottom? I was going to do the pico BB but decided on sand...I have a 10g in the works and I may finally give BB a try :scarry:

got2envy, For fear of offending sandies ;) (hey, we all do what works for us personally right?) I just couldn't imagine my display tank with sand. I don't have particularly strong flow with LPS and softies in there but even with moderate flow I don't have a scrap of detritus on the tank floor. I capture it in my AC filter and wash the filter pads once a week. I've never had an algae issue and presume from how happy my corals are - my params must be smack on*. For those folks who just can't stand to see a BB - well, either make a false sand bed or grow stuff :) I have rics, sympodium and will get some GSP so the bottom is entirely covered in life one day.

Sand looks nice and natural but BB is so unbelievable easy to keep clean.

* don't have a test kit - never have, never will :)

Pschom, go for it ! :)

Sweet tank.

May I ask what camera your using? I currently have a 20L with 2 kessill 15k lights. I can't get my camera to take good pics of the colors. Yours are awesome and show the reds really well. My shots are all washed out in blue.

I read the primer in the photo section and followed the link. Im missing something or my camera just plain stinks.

Sweet tank.

May I ask what camera your using? I currently have a 20L with 2 kessill 15k lights. I can't get my camera to take good pics of the colors. Yours are awesome and show the reds really well. My shots are all washed out in blue.

I read the primer in the photo section and followed the link. Im missing something or my camera just plain stinks.

It's an older Canon EOS Rebel. I'm quite surprised the colors look about spot on because the actual tank itself usually looks too blue in the pics. I wish I could help you set yours differently but I'm completely camera dumb so whatever settings are default - those are what it's set on lol.

moar pix plz :flower:

Sorry, you can't have any ! Lol.

I only buy new corals in the fall and winter (I'm a seasonal reefer :D ) So I'd just be taking pics of the same stuff I've already shown *grin*.

I'm building up a good cash supply for winter shopping though!

I'll try to reset my camera to factory specs. I'll see what that does. Thank you for the reply.

Edit;

Looks like your SLR blows my P&S out of the water. No pun intended. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Just read this whole thread. I must say you did a beautiful job with the aquascape. The Kessil looks so nice, after this post Im off to research it. Thanks for sharing and look forward to more updates.

Archived