Innovative Marine Aquariums

15 gallon Kessil lit.

miniwhinny

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, you've convinced me to buy the A350 when it comes out. I cannot wait...!

Oh, I'm dying to see it !!! Should be this spring right?

Oh, I'm dying to see it !!! Should be this spring right?

The site says April 2012. Been reading here and there about next week. I'd get two a150s but they aren't controllable and it probably can't support sps at the spread I need. 4 is just too much, and I'd like it to be single point. Hope the 350 has all these options.

The site says April 2012. Been reading here and there about next week. I'd get two a150s but they aren't controllable and it probably can't support sps at the spread I need. 4 is just too much, and I'd like it to be single point. Hope the 350 has all these options.

Can't wait to see it pschom.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I swapped out the 15 for a 20L (keeping the false sand bed clean was virtually impossible. It's back to BB for me1)

I tried to keep the 'scaping exactly the same.

Got a few more critters. Finally starting to get a little rainbow going :)

Can't capture the beauty of this crocea who seems to be very happy sitting right under the light :)

2001.jpg

2002.jpg

2003.jpg

and the rainbow shot - starting to fill up a little.

2004.jpg

Why the change? Colors are awesome. Can't wait until mine pops like that.

It was the fake sand bed :( If I ever make one again I'll cover the entire top in an extra layer of epoxy to make it flat like glass. It was textured like sand paper and despite good water flow everything and it's auntie got stuck. Didn't take more than a few weeks for me to start going batty lol.

Your tank is looking awesome, I like your approach on scaping and livestock. More pics please!

Thanks NT, I take that as a real compliment because your tank and 'scape is simply stunning!

I love this new BB. Beautiful coral placement! Topnotch!

Oh yours too d'Espresso !!!! :)

Here's some pics. I need to get more corals so I'm not posting the same ones lol.

Todays FTS

2005.jpg

2007.jpg

2010.jpg

2011.jpg

2012.jpg

2013.jpg

and these are coming back from being bleached....slowly :)

2014.jpg

Great tank mini.

I need to get more corals so I'm not posting the same ones lol.

Having lots of corals is cool, but having a few large colonies is sweeter IMO. Get a few more of the ones you've been dreaming of and then let them get big :D

MooseBranch - many thanks, much appreciated.

viplok - ditto above and "dam sis i am jelly" works too :);) lol

Catch22 - I'm a light freak...can't get enough of the stuff lol. Of course I'm looking at an excuse to get the new Kessil Tuna Blue but in all seriousness "yes" one kessil is more than enough. I've had to tuck my Yuma under an over hang and push my green fuzzies off to the side as much as possible. The green fuzzies were a grass green when I put them under the kessil for the first time...they are now white and highlighter yellow, poor things (they're coming back don't worry) If you were keeping SPS and you wanted them across the tank then I'd recommend 2 just because of the length of the tank but certainly with LPS and softies you're good to go with one. Growth is also unreal. I bought 2 polyps of Candy Apple Reds just a month ago and I now have 7 heads (of course most are still babies)

Tiny 1/4" head of torch or froggie :)

I'm not sure which it is yet because it's so small. Anyone know for sure?

2015.jpg

and my first two florida rics who IRL are awesome colors that I just can't capture with my picture taking skills (or lack thereof)

2016.jpg

Thanks guys...I'll go with froggie :)

I use photoshop to crop (from massive room size pictures) and sharpen after I've cropped and I use Faststone to shrink to 800 pixels across but that's all. I'm running the 15k kessil but after running a 14k phoenix in my sunpod I'd call the kessil 15 more like what you'd expect in a halide 20k. The 15k to the eye looks like a very clean blueish white (if you can picture that) and it really makes the colors pop without them looking disco like. My camera is a canon eos but I'm not sure how to balance the white so the pictures come out with that color pop already built in lol.

Beautiful tank! I love your coral selections. Very nice work!

Thanks coach :) It's taken me wayyyy too many years for this lesson to sink in but I've finally learned to be patient and wait for just the right piece rather than buying just to fill the tank - especially important in a nano tank.

Thanks coach :) It's taken me wayyyy too many years for this lesson to sink in but I've finally learned to be patient and wait for just the right piece rather than buying just to fill the tank - especially important in a nano tank.

I really agree with this statement, better to wait for that special coral you really want that fits right in.

Archived