ReefCleaners.org

Retired 6 Gallon Rimless

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

Week 9 Update

sorry for the long gap in between the updates, but I've just been a little busy stocking and testing equipment for the tank (:

The AI Nano is awesome. Love it. My review video is on my youtube channel. Just click the link in the description. The poopy skimmer has been turned off so i can test to see if its worth having on or not. As far as i can tell. The tank is remaining very nutrient low even without the skimmer. So that's a plus because the tank is completely silent without it.

Let's see what's new:

I stole the green monticap that was supposed to go in my 29, i liked it too much to let it be dwarfed by the bigger corals in there. so i'm going to let it grow out and then put a frag in my 29. I also have a temporary guest (candy cane coral) with 6 heads that is doing wonderful. It puts out gnarly looking feeder tentacles almost every night. it'll be moved into the 29 gal after it passes the roger test (quarantine) I'd rather have the 6gal crash than the 29.

What else? my xenia hates the lights so its staying super localized and short. the rock looks rather cool in my opinion, but it will have to be cleaned up soon. Parker (clown) and alfred (shrimp) are both doing marvelous. Both of them have their spots in the tank and they're fun to watch :P

Lastly, I HAVE CORALLINE growth on the glass. something i did not expect to happen in this tank. I'm happy that my tank is balanced enough to have coralline spreading. :)))))

Anyhooters, here's some pics if you'd like to see:

July Full System Shot:

7c060564.jpg

Angle:

efac0ee2.jpg

Alfred and the Awesome Zoa Colony:

ba521ca4.jpg

Just the Zoas:

fac9df4d.jpg

LPS Guest:

d5b84a4a.jpg

Two Plating Monti's (they're close together but the green one will be moved in like 2 minutes (:

ffb49067.jpg

Crown Piece (Green Milleopora) ENCRUSTING!

a532c423.jpg

My Bud Parker:

bc0fcf59.jpg

Purple Polyp Birdsnest frag doing wonderful:

4c86c69c.jpg

TheKleinReef

Week 10!

I've decided I want an SPS forest in this small tank. which will be tricky but definately doable. After i found out that even in such a small tank the alk drops1 dkh over night i decided i needed to start dosing. so i dose 2.5ml of b-ionic 1 & 2 every day. which keep the alk right at 9dkh and the calcium right at 420ppm. Its been stable there for almost 4 weeks. due to this recent success I GOT 2 MORE SPS FRAGS! I don't know their names so any input would be greatly appreciated. :D

Here's one:

bbe4a090.jpg

and the other:

ab8c7c7e.jpg

The AI is hiding all the color but the top one is greenish with a red/orange hue. while the bottom one is all green.

(:

I had my eye on a piece of purple polyp stylophora, but it was a 3"x3" piece for $199. I decided to wait for them to frag it and sell me a $40 piece instead. Insanely beautiful though.

That is all. thanks for checkin' in.

TheKleinReef
Isn't a topless edge... essentially the same thing as a regular tank?

wow. lol i guess your right. (:

Love the tank, what lights do you use? They get nice coverage

AI Nano Sol Blue (:

Deleted User 4
Thank you! That means a lot! I've seen your tank and it looks amazing!

Thanks man. Love your setup especially with the ai nano sol. Looks like a perfect combo.

I saw your videos on youtube as well! awesome tank. I have a topless fluval too. I've been keeping sps for about 6 months. Everything is doing great.

TheKleinReef
I saw your videos on youtube as well! awesome tank. I have a topless fluval too. I've been keeping sps for about 6 months. Everything is doing great.

thanks! I'd love to have this tank completely filled with sps. and then have the rock covered in zoas and mushrooms. i think it'd look pretty cool.

TheKleinReef

its good to know sps garden is possible. i just need some rare stuff.

anyone know of any good places for rare sps?

Hey man, I'm about to buy an AI nano but I can't find the dimensions of the arm mount anywhere...

It would be awesome if you could post the length of the arm!

Thanks,

Deleted User 4
Hey man, I'm about to buy an AI nano but I can't find the dimensions of the arm mount anywhere...

It would be awesome if you could post the length of the arm!

Thanks,

+1

• 2 months later...
TheKleinReef

Well its been 11 weeks. and the dynamics of this tank have changed once again. instead of a 6gal nano. i now have a 6 gal frag tank! It has some rock on the sides for mother colony placement and a nice frag rack in the center. Its what i wanted from the beginning. sure its not pretty but its functional. the guy at my LFS has seen some of my corals and asked to grow and frag them out and he'd buy them so i figured a frag tank couldn't hurt. besides, i also wanted to keep my 29 gal frag free. without further adieu my 6 gal frag tank:

32F95489-6C8D-4988-AE5D-1A3EE3E4542B-18975-0000049C96CFA467.jpg

that picture could not have turned out any worse.... ugh

6622D20B-97BC-4783-931C-42ED9B93A996-18975-0000049C81AFA690.jpg

and some of the frags:

E3EDFBC9-369B-44B8-8DF0-85873894A015-18975-0000049D22AB8AA4.jpg

D5C1ACAC-B2DB-410C-BA36-D774B5127FC1-18975-0000049D1C60CC49.jpg

93E6A2B3-1355-4BCF-9EFB-B06F0D09ACDE-18975-0000049D0D9AB028.jpg

B22B9DAA-3652-42F8-BF1E-78E6DD529BDE-18975-0000049D16C83F99.jpg

any advice on how to make coral growth go faster than it already is would be much appreciated.

I'm tempted on changing the lighting on this tank becasue the AI nano just doesn't seem like its good with coral growth. color is fine but i don't need color, i need growth.

one last thing:

the calcium is 500+ on this tank with 1 water change per week and 1 dose. would cutting out the dose help? I'm assuming it will... I'll try that. I'm just astounded the ALK can stay at 8.9 and the CAL is at 500

oh well.

feed back please? :)

• 2 months later...

Archived