inTank Media Baskets

AquaMaxx HOB-1

JDK

Was wondering how many inches the inlet and outlet tubes take up? Would like to run this skimmer on my biocube 29 and was wondering where it would fit? Thanks

The inlet and outlet tubes require about 3" of space side to side and the tubes extend approximately 3" into the tank. The hanging brackets are 7" apart. Hope this helps.

The inlet and outlet tubes require about 3" of space side to side and the tubes extend approximately 3" into the tank. The hanging brackets are 7" apart. Hope this helps.

Thank you. Have been looking for this info and could never seem to find it. Appreciate it. :D

Thank you. Have been looking for this info and could never seem to find it. Appreciate it. :D

i'm running it on my biocube, i had to heavily modify the hood to fit it on (pop off the back lid and pretty much removed the back panel) that being said it works amazingly from day 1 i was pulling out a full skimmer cup of tea looking skim and now (about a week later) its pulling out some REALLY nasty stuff by far the best skimmer i have tired and for the price!!

i'm running it on my biocube, i had to heavily modify the hood to fit it on (pop off the back lid and pretty much removed the back panel) that being said it works amazingly from day 1 i was pulling out a full skimmer cup of tea looking skim and now (about a week later) its pulling out some REALLY nasty stuff by far the best skimmer i have tired and for the price!!

Hood will not be a problem my tank is rimless. Got some detailed and picture labeled measurments on reefcentral. Have heard nothing but fantastic things about this skimmer. It is a relabeled warner marine and they are known for good quality. Think I will pull the trigger.

Are you running it in the first chamber?

Hood will not be a problem my tank is rimless. Got some detailed and picture labeled measurments on reefcentral. Have heard nothing but fantastic things about this skimmer. It is a relabeled warner marine and they are known for good quality. Think I will pull the trigger.

Are you running it in the first chamber?

yes both in and out in the first chamber, i made the mistake of putting the inlet in chambe one and the out in chamber two it flooded chamber two and drained a good inch out of chamber one the display. you wont be disappointed with this bad boy...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
little_ocean_treasures

Okay, mine finally came in yesterday and I hooked it up last night. I have no skim mate what so ever this morning and I did rinse it twice with warm water. Plus, it's noisy as heck. It's the air gurgling on the right side making noise but will it go away? I've heard so many reviews that this skimmer is so quiet...not mine, at least yet. lol And one more thing. I have a small o-ring gasket that I can not for the life of me figure where it goes. The big one goes with the collection cup, got that. But what's with the smaller one?

I see a small one on the intake pipe as it passes into the skimmer chamber... There are two.. one on the chamber and one around the pipe.

AquaMaxx-HOB-1-Hang-On-Back-Protein-Skimmer-2.jpg

I've been looking at this skimmer for the last three days.... I'd get the CPR but the return is on the wrong side for my nanocube... Thinking this might be the ticket since there isn't a pump I have to make room for on the inside of the tank. My understanding is that if the pump on this skimmer poops out our kind of SOL because it's nearly as much as a new skimmer. :o

little_ocean_treasures

Yeah, I found that out later that's what that little o-ring was for but now that I have it up and running and that part doesn't move much anyways I'm not worrying about adding it. I know it's not a seal as the gap is too big so I'm assuming it just stabilizes and holds the the tubes in place but they don't really move much anyways. Thanks tho! ;) There are things in this pic that are different from mine...like the return. The first black piece is a T on mine and not an elbow and my o-rings aren't black but reddish. This must be a little bit older design I'm thinking.

I finally got skimmate when I went to clean and water change my tank yesterday...wow did it go crazy. lol And now it has been lightly collecting ever since. I'm thinking it's still breaking in. But the noise is still there. I took the yellow hose and put it on the other tube (left one) on the top and it made it quieter but I might try the cotton ball trick I read some do.

Yeah, I found that out later that's what that little o-ring was for but now that I have it up and running and that part doesn't move much anyways I'm not worrying about adding it. I know it's not a seal as the gap is too big so I'm assuming it just stabilizes and holds the the tubes in place but they don't really move much anyways. Thanks tho! ;) There are things in this pic that are different from mine...like the return. The first black piece is a T on mine and not an elbow and my o-rings aren't black but reddish. This must be a little bit older design I'm thinking.

I finally got skimmate when I went to clean and water change my tank yesterday...wow did it go crazy. lol And now it has been lightly collecting ever since. I'm thinking it's still breaking in. But the noise is still there. I took the yellow hose and put it on the other tube (left one) on the top and it made it quieter but I might try the cotton ball trick I read some do.

How 'not quiet' is it? Like..... My tank is in the living room and we watch TV in there. Will I be wanting to unplug the skimmer when I am in there since it will be sitting only 4' away from my head? Or is it just a slight 'noise'..... I remember thinking my MP10 was annoying but now I don't hear it. I assume there can be ways of baffling the sound of the skimmer... If the pump makes a rattle, find it and isolate it. I just don't want to get the thing and regret it. I know I would shoot myself if I had to hear the CPR in my GF's class room all day because the Maxi 1200 on that thing is loud and ready to blow.

BTW if anyone has a pump suggestion for my old CPR bak-pak I'm all ears.

little_ocean_treasures

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't get on here as often as I should. :huh: lol The noise on the first and second day was pretty darn annoying but it has since quieted down quite a bit thankfully. It was loud enough at first to be heard when watching TV for sure but now I barely hear the thing ever. I didn't actually use cotton in the air muffler as I was worried of hindering the power of the pump...even tho it may not of I realize.

I hope you will like this skimmer as I do. I have had internal skimmers and hated them on so many levels but this is the best one I've purchased for sure. Even turning off my pumps to feed or do a water change and the water levels drops, this thing still skims the same due to it's long inlet tube and is not affected by lowered water levels like an internal skimmer would be. That has to be a favorite feature of mine as I turn the pumps off almost every other day.

• 3 weeks later...

How are the noise levels on this skimmer? I had the Warner Marine version a few years back but I don't really remember how loud they were

Summoner12
How are the noise levels on this skimmer? I had the Warner Marine version a few years back but I don't really remember how loud they were

I made a thread about how I made the skimmer work for my 12g. If you are using this on a normal sized tank in a sump, you won't notice it is there. If you are like me, using it on the back of a small tank and it is in a room you are in often...... you will hear it. Honestly, you'll forget it is there after a couple of weeks of hearing it. Watching TV I don't hear it at all. When I am fast forwarding between commercials on the DVR, I hear it.... but only if I am not focused on fast forwarding.

Here is the link to my thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=303063

I think in general it is 'not loud' but then again I don't have much to compare it to. What you hear is the water and the guggle of the pump sucking air. If you can muffle that, your fine. My big grip is how I have mine setup, and the return can gurgle if the water level is low. Tank is topped off, nothing.

Archived