SaltCritters.com

[biocube 29] my fist saltwater

jailhouse

For one thing put the sponge in chamber 3 back in. If your worried about detritus build up just make it part of your weekly cleaning. When you run the media basket as a refuge in chamber 2 there is a high chance that some of the micro algae that your growing in there will break off and flow into chamber 3 which will then be sucked up by your pump. If your pump clogs up it will run hot and potentially overheat your tank. I'm running a very similar setup to you and the sponge will not hurt as long as you clean it once a week or every other week.

Also I'm not sure what question your asking when you say I removed the sponge in chamber 3 but still nothing. What was the effect you were looking for there?

I figured out that I had to much water in the tank after my waterchange. I will replace the sponge this weekend.

I'm a noob and paniced when I wasn't getting variations in water levels in my chambers.

The cloudliness seems to be getting better now.

I just recieved my reef master water tester and here are the results.

Calcium 440

carbonate hardness 214.8

phosphate .25

nitrate 10

I think my tank might still be cycling and the high nitrates are adding to my dust algae problem. I will be waiting for the nitrate to reach 0 before I introduce coral and fish.

New pics. So since we last talked I've had the dust algae disappear (thank you cheato). And I've added two new coral to the family. I'm a little concerned about where to place my zoas. I've read that to much current is bad for them. They are currently under my koroala 425. I will post some pictures and appreciate any feedback from you guys.

stats are as follows:

Salinity 1.025

calcium 440

phosphate .25

hardeness 214.8

nitrate 5 (if I hold it up to the sun it looks like 0)

on with the pictures:

post-73240-1333489354_thumb.jpg

for some reason I can only upload one pic. I will try later. But the zoa is on the right hand middle and the new ? is below that.

• 2 weeks later...
The cloudliness seems to be getting better now.

I just recieved my reef master water tester and here are the results.

Calcium 440

carbonate hardness 214.8

phosphate .25

nitrate 10

I think my tank might still be cycling and the high nitrates are adding to my dust algae problem. I will be waiting for the nitrate to reach 0 before I introduce coral and fish.

Your phosphates are high. Do you run any GFO or chemi-pure? The high phosphate would explain your dust algae. Check your topoff water and water change water for phosphates and see if you're introducing them that way or another.

Read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Great article on phosphates.

Your phosphates are high. Do you run any GFO or chemi-pure? The high phosphate would explain your dust algae. Check your topoff water and water change water for phosphates and see if you're introducing them that way or another.

Read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Great article on phosphates.

Thanks. I should have updated more. My nitrates and phosphate are now at 0. I am runing chemipure along with cheato.

Ok so I did the tab modification while I was doing my water change. Now I'm not getting the cascade effect from chamber 1 to chamber 2 and chamber 3 seems to be level aslo. I removed the sponge in chamber three but still nothing. I also seem to be experiencing dust algae. My glass looks like it's frosted and after I clean it it's back to the same in about two hours. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Raise your water level. Should help with the waterfall noise. Disreguard the biocube min and max level. You could probably raise it to just below the filter floss in the top of the media basket. Mine is higher but only to accommodate the water level my tunze 9002 skimmer needs.

Archived