SaltCritters.com

GSP Removal?

TEKWRX

I've got a few different patches of Green Star Polyps that are just spreading like crazy. What's the best way to remove from the rock? Can I just safely peel it off? Any tips?

I've had the same frag of gsp for like 2 months and I doubt that it grew even a single polyp since I got it. My birdsnest from 2 weeks ago has grown more.

Im starting to think that posts like these are just conspiracy theories to mess with me.

Any waySupposedly,You need to make sure you get every last bit of purple Matt, or " it will grow back faster than before"

patback, believe me it is a weed once it starts growing. haha

OP, as far as removal goes, if it's growing on relatively smooth rock/surface, it might peel off by just raising a piece and pulling. If its on porous and not so smooth surface, it won't come off. I promise you that. Haha only way is to chip off the piece of rock it's on or replace the rock completely. Good luck

I recently removed a couple pieces of Pink Star Polyps (same thing as green, just pink) from glass by peeling it off. It should work the same way for removing it from rocks.

After I had the pieces I simply super-glued them to frag plugs and 1 day later they both have polyp extension.

Very easy coral to frag.

HTH- Wizzy :happy:

I had a colony of this stuff that grew like a science fiction movie nightmare. Seems to like very high mag levels in relation to calcium. Mine looked like shag carpeting from hell.

I was only able to get some of it off my rocks by pulling. I went to the hardware store and got a metal brush and tore the rest out like that. Just make sure if any bristles fall off to remove them.

Well, peeling didn't really work. The rock is very porous. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a wire brush. Could flip the rock over so it gets no light, letting it die off? Would have affect the water parameters too negatively?

Well, peeling didn't really work. The rock is very porous. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a wire brush. Could flip the rock over so it gets no light, letting it die off? Would have affect the water parameters too negatively?

Thought that would happen, unfortunately. Well, how big is your tank and the gsp you're trying to kill? Even then, I imagine it would creep its way back into the light.

GSP, while nice looking, is the devil. Just a couple weeks ago I set my GSP rock outside in 20 degree weather for two nights to kill it. I think it is finally gone... thank goodness.

I had a colony of this stuff that grew like a science fiction movie nightmare. . . .I went to the hardware store and got a metal brush and tore the rest out . . . .

From the GSP's perspective, YOU were the nightmare, lol. :lol:

I've had the same frag of gsp for like 2 months and I doubt that it grew even a single polyp since I got it. My birdsnest from 2 weeks ago has grown more.

Im starting to think that posts like these are just conspiracy theories to mess with me.

I KNOW!! I've had two frags about two months now, and other than some polyp extension, I havent noticed any growth at all! ITS ALL LIES!

I KNOW!! I've had two frags about two months now, and other than some polyp extension, I havent noticed any growth at all! ITS ALL LIES!

Took me about 3-4 months before i saw some really explosive grown on my GSP... it's not stopping too...

Any waySupposedly,You need to make sure you get every last bit of purple Matt, or " it will grow back faster than before"

+1, my BN grows like crazy, MY GSP isn't even OPENING anymore:(

Anyways, I DID once have a tank with great GSP growth. You are crazy if you throw it away (someone mentioned that, not the OP) It was hands down my biggest seller on ebay. I literally made about 1K off a single matt that grew about as fast as i could sell frags. If you don't sell/ ship stuff you can AT LEAST trade it! Gosh, tons of people would love to have some healthy GSP frags!

it tears off unless you have really porous rock, sometimes it won't. If it tears off just use super glue to attach to plug/ wall whatever. If it doesn't tear off take out the rock and a chisel and hammer and chisel off sections- its actually pretty easy and you're frags are made instantly:)

i just noticed you ARE trying to kill it--BOO, sell that dang rock and buy 10 new frags w/ the $$$ :D I mena, are you really trying to save a $10 rock by killing $50 of coral???? If there's stuff on the rock you want chisel chisel chisel, its won't take long and sometimes it peals after you chisel off a big chunck.

Depending on size of tank and size of matt, yes, killing it off by flipping it over could very easily affect water params- you're killing a living organism.

Too funny! I agree totally with this!

godfathernikki

If your rocks are anything like mine, you'll never be able to just peel it off. I tried several times and just shredded it to bits. If you just want to kill it off, aptasia X works well, I use it to keep my gsp from overrunning my mushies

Flipping the rock over doesnt work either lol i have a roundish rock that is completely covered with no visible rock left. It sits on the sand bed isolated from my rock work. I thought for sure the underside of the rock was bare untill i took a look one day. And sure enough the entire bottom of the rock was covered in the gsp purple mat. It didnt have any polypls on the underside just mat. But that means that the gsp pushed through sand to grow along the bottom of the rock. Gsp and xenia are both the devil in higher nutrient tanks. However i dont think hardcore pure water sps people can even keep them alive in their tanks.

Here's a quick video of some GSP in my old tank before I removed it. As it would grow in lose folds once it covered it's main rock I would tear the stuff off that was lose, rubber band it to lose rocks, and sell it. It was very nice looking to say the least.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42148466@N04/5245490438/

In a small tank though it plays havoc with calcium/magnesium levels because of it's growth, and that was my biggest reason for nuking it. I still have some frags left, but after I changed up my tank chemistry to be more SPS friendly it's fairly stagnant.

Xenia doesn't bother me as much, although my nutrient levels are too low for it to grow. Plus, Xenia is no match for aggressive and larger palys which will happily consume the stuff.

If your rocks are anything like mine, you'll never be able to just peel it off. I tried several times and just shredded it to bits. If you just want to kill it off, aptasia X works well, I use it to keep my gsp from overrunning my mushies

Friday I removed GSP runners that had crisscrossed an area around and beneath another frag. My rock has a very pebbly texture, but I found that by using a pick I could then peel up smaller pieces. Today you can't tell anything was there. :)

Archived