Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
henningero

Fungia (short tentacle plate) coral disappearing?

Is this a goner? I've had it for only two weeks, and after about the third day it stopped inflation it's tentacles. Since then, there is less and less "flesh" visible within the skeleton. I have a 24" deep tank with 2 HO T5 fixtures @ 72 watts each. I run 2 10K and 2 Actinic bulbs in each fixture. The coral was in the middle front of the tank on the substrate with medium flow. My water parameters are as follows:

Temp: 79

Ammonia/Nitrite: 0

Nitrates: 10

PH: 8.2

Nothing else in the tanks is new or having any issues. Thanks in advance.

Josh

post-73019-1331683583_thumb.jpg

Whilst you can still see small amounts of flesh inbetween the skeleton, it looks to be long gone....did it get stung or just melt away?

wow that thing looks horrible lol

It wasn't stung that I'm aware of, but I did notice a curious hermit crab a few times. It seems to have just melted away. Should I remove it, or hold out hope for a miracle???

I remember reading some place that if your plate coral dies completly. keep it in ur tank. because it could possable

grow new babies from it. I may be wrong tho.

I read that, too. I guess I could just keep it in and cross my fingers. It's a shame, because it was so great looking in the store!

It wasn't stung that I'm aware of, but I did notice a curious hermit crab a few times. It seems to have just melted away. Should I remove it, or hold out hope for a miracle???

Keep it in the tank! There have been many anecdotal reports of them growing new baby polyps weeks after their "death." Fungia's are generally such hardy animals so I'm sorry for your loss, but I think it's worth a try to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Edited by gerbilbox

wow that thing looks horrible lol

Thanks! Very helpful!!! LMFAO!!!

Keep it in the tank! There have been many anecdotal reports of them growing new baby polyps weeks after their "death." Fungia's are generally such hardy animals so I'm sorry for your loss, but I think it's worth a try to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the condolences. I have heard that they were fairly hardy as well, so I thought that I would give it a try. I must have gotten a lemon!

Thanks for the condolences. I have heard that they were fairly hardy as well, so I thought that I would give it a try. I must have gotten a lemon!

If your plate skeleton grows new polyps you'll get to have another try.

LOL, the lemon coral, the one coral no one ever wants to get.

If your plate skeleton grows new polyps you'll get to have another try.

LOL, the lemon coral, the one coral no one ever wants to get.

Nice! Thanks everyone for the replies.

What is your calc, Alk, and mag at?

ya dont expose to air let it sit for months,someone had one they refered to as a plate factory because of babys it would make ,might even want to look for those in petshops

+1 to just leave it in the tank for a good long time

dunno what the problem was--what's your SG at? how do you measure it? did you have it positioned on the sand bed? (where it should be)

do you think you could get a feeding response if you tried to feed it now?

What is your calc, Alk, and mag at?

Alk is at 8, and I don't test for calc or mag.

+1 to just leave it in the tank for a good long time

dunno what the problem was--what's your SG at? how do you measure it? did you have it positioned on the sand bed? (where it should be)

do you think you could get a feeding response if you tried to feed it now?

My SG is 1.025 steady, and I did have it on the sand bed. I also tried to feed some mysis, but it is not responding. I do weekly 5 gallon WC in a 27 gallon cube.

How do you measure your SG? Maybe have a friend/LFS do a quick double check? It's prolly fine but definitely worth investigating imo

How do you measure your SG? Maybe have a friend/LFS do a quick double check? It's prolly fine but definitely worth investigating imo

I use a hydrometer for this (cheap plastic with floating needle). I do clean it before and after each use, but I am aware of the lack of precision and/or reliable results using these. I think I may take a water sample to the LFS just to confirm all of my results.

I just feed my orange plate pellets a few times a week. maybe 5 pellets at a shot. it loves to eat. leave it on sand. med flow. med light. its growing well so far. had it for 10months.

I just feed my orange plate pellets a few times a week. maybe 5 pellets at a shot. it loves to eat. leave it on sand. med flow. med light. its growing well so far. had it for 10months.

You're lucky. I didn't even have enough time with it to develop a feeding pattern...

BTW, what type of pellets do you feed the plate? I've never heard of feeding pellets. Also, do you feed all 5 pellets at once? Does the plate take all 5 in it's mouth at once?

Edited by henningero