ReefCleaners.org

New golden seahorse in new 2 gallon fluval spec AIO

TinKnocker07

TinKnocker07

I put in my new golden seahorses in my new 2 gallon fluval spec AIO pico. I plan on putting coals in with them but I'm going to wait until the 1 pound of live rock start to turn purple. What coral is good with these little guys and what inverts are good to put?

post-66538-1331609294.jpeg

ohai.its.steven.

Golden seahorse? Are they dwarf seahorses? If not, I'm not sure about how they'll do in your 2g. And how old is your tank?

C.I._Reefer
Golden seahorse? Are they dwarf seahorses? If not, I'm not sure about how they'll do in your 2g. And how old is your tank?

also, what is your substrate?

BlackSumbel

Can't really tell from the pic, but the Coronettes look wrong for Zostrae. You could put like... 2-3 pairs of H. zostrae in a 2gl.

Other species, no. Way too big for a 2gl.

C.I._Reefer
Can't really tell from the pic, but the Coronettes look wrong for Zostrae. You could put like... 2-3 pairs of H. zostrae in a 2gl.

Other species, no. Way too big for a 2gl.

+1

In answer to your actual question, go to seahorse.org. They have information about care, tank size, and, more relevant to your concern, tankmate compatibility on everything from coral to fish to inverts.

Bongo Shrimp

That tank is way too small for those seahorses. You need to get them in a bigger tank asap.

Plus most corals do not belong with seahorses nor do seahorses belong with most corals. More importantly however they need a much bigger tank.

Looks like reidi or kuda to me but the pic is too small. They also look skinny.

this is the second person in 24 hours keeping non dwarf seahorses in 2- 2.5 gallon pico's AHHHHH!!!!

I would quote what i said before, but i can't find it (deleted???)

29 gallon tank MINIMUM for 1-4 ponies, some small cold water species you can get away with a 20 gallon ,but they're pretty rare in the trade.

take those ponies back, or find adoptive homes for them. 2 seahorses will create as much waste as a FULLY STOCKED 29 gallon tank, if not more.

post-21395-1331911065_thumb.jpgregarding corals and seahorses.

non dwarf seahorses can be kept with a wide variety of non stinging corals. they are happy to hitch on leathers, gorgonians, and softies. HOWEVER preferred temps are 72-76 degrees for tropical species, so you need to keep that in mind.

Here's my 46 bow (retired) seahorse tank. Kept 4 in here. Meat coral is the only inappropriate coral. As you can see, lots of choices. Temps were the problem. I didnt have a chiller, one days temps got to 82 (a pretty normal reef temp) all 4 horses had got ill and died within days. Probably vibro.

Archived