Innovative Marine Aquariums

(un)Official Aussie/NZ Reefer Thread

castiel

Shipping is not the big killer.

3-18 months in QT with customs is the killer.

Meh! Wow! That's something else. But I understand, introduced species have wreaked havoc on the native wildlife. We get our dose of this in South Florida too. We have breeding populations of non-native parrots, snakes, lizards, tropical and marine fish that are causing the same problems.

I might order some too when I finally get my double peninsula going, for the sump/display fuge.

You order first though and let me know how you go =0p

1. Where are you based?
    Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs :)

2. What type of system do you have?
    ADA 60-F, EcoTech Radion xr30w, Mp10ES... ok rimless and i spend my money on stupid things

3. Any plans for future systems?
    Probably not, I just want this tank looking pretty :)
    Actually I lie... i might upgrade to a larger shallow tank... and maybe buy a pico... :lol:

4. Where do you buy equipment?
    here (age of aquariums)
    here (aquarium products wholesale)
    and here (guppys)

5. What types of equipment/accessories do you wish you had easier access to?
    ..i just wish they were cheaper lol
    the pico skimmer that i've seen on here is amazing, I just wish I had one -_-

6. Where do you get livestock?
    Reeflections, Coburg aquarium or Williamstown aquarium.. I've spoken to the guys at Subscape in Richmond.. apparently they're opening up a marine section which should be cool :) considering I work around the corner.. hello lunchbreaks..

7. What types of livestock do you wish you had easier access to?
    None :) I'm pretty happy with what the LFS have :)

8. Where do you get coral?
    The above LFS and online..
    here (coralcrazy)
    and here (100% reef safe)

as a tip.. I usually just go into the LFS and request corals/fish and they put them aside for me :lol:

9. What types of coral do you wish you had easier access to?
    Acans... and Rics...
    and rare/colourful Zoas.. its really hard to track them down

Other than that.. I just wish they weren't $2394729387 for a frag
    and I wish they had frags, not giant pieces of coral..

10. What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)?
    Frags.. and rics, and zoas, and acans hahaha :P

11. How do you see reef keeping in Aus as different to the US?
    I think its a lot more expensive over here. We seem to be a bit behind on things over here.. and we don't get the same equipment or livestock :(

12. Any other comments
    I'm pretttttttty sure my bank account hates me.

1. Where are you based?
    Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs :)

2. What type of system do you have?
    ADA 60-F, EcoTech Radion xr30w, Mp10ES... ok rimless and i spend my money on stupid things

Cool, I just moved to Sandringham (so much closer to Reeflections and Mentone ... and not so much of a hike to Frankston (my favourite)).

Where did you get your 60F out of interest? I've been trying to find such a tank but can't anywhere ... closest is Aquarium Products Wholesale (as you linked earlier), but their 60H is $1100!

Oh by the way, Bunarong Aquarium (Frankston) had some nice zoas at the weekend, I bought a few batches of them which you can see in my pico thread. Not sure if they are 'named' yet, but the orange, green and blue varieties are very nice. A few large colonies (like the blues I got) for $45, smaller frags (like the greens and oranges) for $15.

Where did you get your 60F out of interest? I've been trying to find such a tank but can't anywhere ... closest is Aquarium Products Wholesale (as you linked earlier), but their 60H is $1100!

I got mine off Aquarium Products Wholesale - but I had to call them up and get them to arrange an import of it. I sort of whinged heaps... and it wasn't cheap lol :(

You could definitely try Richmond's Subscape aquarium - they are big on CADE tanks (which are insanely good looking btw... I'd totally get one of those instead of an ADA if i could :wub:) I think if you ask them to track one down (any ADA tanks) and import it for you they would.. there's a lot of FW freaks in melbourne :P

Alternatively there are some nice rimless ones around at the LFS, or they'll custom make them for the same price with starphire glass :) pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

I've never been down to bunarong aquarium! is it big?? hellllloooo adventures in the next few weeks lol

Yeah it is big, they have a large 'softies' tank, a large 'zoas & acans' tank (had some nice micromussa at the weekend too ... I got a small frag for free!), and a large 'SPS' tank. Plus two BTA/morph tanks, and several with livestock. Noticed two tanks for mantis shrimp too, though couldn't see them!

By comparison ... probably as much coral & livestock as Reeflections (fewer euphyllia, more zoas/acans), same kind of equipment as Mentone.

Very nice owner too - we bought $100 worth of zoas, hermits (4 for $12) and a morph on Saturday, he threw in the Acan frag, green paly frag (about 4 polyps) and the neomeris for free.

Yeah it is big, they have a large 'softies' tank, a large 'zoas & acans' tank (had some nice micromussa at the weekend too ... I got a small frag for free!), and a large 'SPS' tank. Plus two BTA/morph tanks, and several with livestock. Noticed two tanks for mantis shrimp too, though couldn't see them!

By comparison ... probably as much coral & livestock as Reeflections (fewer euphyllia, more zoas/acans), same kind of equipment as Mentone.

Very nice owner too - we bought $100 worth of zoas, hermits (4 for $12) and a morph on Saturday, he threw in the Acan frag, green paly frag (about 4 polyps) and the neomeris for free.

omg. I'm going there over the weekend lol

I've been desperately trying to find acans/micromussa in melbourne - and reeflections only gets the odd 2/3 colonies @$60 each... and its difficult cos they're so big lol and I want to watch them grow out on frags.. same with the zoas.. I'll definitely go check it out, thanks for the heads up! :lol:

checked out your thread - and those are some nicccceee zoa frags :D you should be stoked! I'm sorry for your tanks though :( next ones/one will be amazing I'm sure!

Cheese-Lover

I'm looking for a black sun coral...

Even just a frag with 1-3 heads...

Do you think I can find one? Got to love the Australian reefing scene. >.>

NewZealandReefie

Cheese, I've seen them here so hold out hope that you'll find one eventually!

I waited over a year for florida ricordea and recently got my hands on some blue ones and some green ones :)

Despite all of this... I'm still thinking I may need to make another giant move again. (Although, I didn't read this whole thread...mostly skimmed it. Hopefully it isn't that bad rofl!) I'll be sure to visit first. :)

• Where are you based?
    Western Australia, about an hour south of Perth...

• What type of system do you have?
    I've got a modded RSM 130d
    Soon to be with an XR30W

• Any plans for future systems?
    Not really, i like smaller tanks and think 40-50 gallons is as big as i would go, i would definitely go for a tank with better dimensions next time (probably a shallow)

• Where do you buy equipment?
    Some i buy at the LFS but usually it's
    the Reef Shop - Aquatic supplies or inTank

• What types of equipment/accessories do you wish you had easier access to?
    I haven't had so much trouble with access to most types of equipment it's more the drastically smaller number of competing products (probably part of the higher price issue)

• Where do you get livestock?
    Vebas Aquariums, its about 50-60 kays away and there is two other stores on the way but i cant stand the pr*cks who run the others and these guys are super helpful

• What types of livestock do you wish you had easier access to?
    I'm pretty happy with whats available, the picing on the other hand -_- I am dissapoint

• Where do you get coral?
    Vebas, they've got 4 huge coral/frag tanks which are usually pretty well stocked

• What types of coral do you wish you had easier access to?
    Probably Acans and Zoas, Vebas are currently on the hunt for nice acans for me but they are no longer dealing with their QLD suppliers very much, which is reportedly where all the good ones come from so we are in struggletown to say the least

• What is the one thing you wish you had easier access to (ie what the Americans have)?
    Beautiful Australian corals that are never actually seen here (crazy acans, euphyllia, scolys etc) I mean half of LiveAquarias Divers Den LPS are Aussie corals

• How do you see reef keeping in Aus as different to the US?
    Well behind, More expensive, Labour intensive

Hey, Jessy-Ray! Thanks for your post, interesting to read your perspective.

I think I should also have asked whether you all are part of other forums. I know that Cheese is on Masa, but any one else? I have looked at TheReefuge ... but doesn't seem very active.

Hey, Jessy-Ray! Thanks for your post, interesting to read your perspective.

I think I should also have asked whether you all are part of other forums. I know that Cheese is on Masa, but any one else? I have looked at TheReefuge ... but doesn't seem very active.

Nah sorry pal it's Nano-Reef or nothing for me :lol:, I also want a frogspawn with the green bodybut have never seen one here :(

It's not that bad, I just like to whinge!

Where are you moving to?

I haven't done nearly enough research to be certain what area I favor, but from what little research I have done (very little :P )...I'd say I like the Brisbane area. I probably still have a few years before I move though. I need to be near the ocean again! It's in my blood, lol. So by then, you guys better have more options for corals. :)

Yeah I have seen that set up on masa, very impressive! He also sells acro frags quite cheaply, I plan to buy some from him when my larger tank is finally set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived