Top Shelf Aquatics

Worm ID needed

siliconflux

siliconflux

Looks like an Oenone/Eunice worm, however, I just wanted to get everyone's consensus. The size of this bugger was over 12 inches long and I havent seen a fireworm get this large before.

1) Nocturnal and light sensitive

2) FAST withdrawal

3) My hunch is, it was predatory, however, this is not confirmed

4) Very destructive in a nano: Moves around ALOT of sand & LR!

Higher Res: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/bugger.jpg/

post-72440-1331574339_thumb.jpg

altolamprologus

Looks like one of those evil bristleworms that goes around munching corals and fish. The ones with obvious heads tend to be the predatory ones.

siliconflux
How did you catch it...?

12" Tweezers

He came out immediately following "lights out" lastnight. I grabbed him directly from behind (which appeared to be a natural blindspot). I only saw about 1-3 inches of this beast at first and was more than a little surprised when I pulled the other FOOT of him out of the LR.

Yeah, for an ID you probably want a close up of the head. The Eunicids, as said, have a very distinctive head and tentacles.

siliconflux
Yeah, for an ID you probably want a close up of the head. The Eunicids, as said, have a very distinctive head and tentacles.

Here is a fantastic closeup of what the head looks like. You cant see it now, but this worm has a fully functional jaw and is able to open it, much like a snake.

post-72440-1331672070_thumb.png

Now that is neat. I wouldn't have guessed it had a mouth that works like that.

Well I'm no expert, and I don't have a good source of characteristics of classification for each group, but judging from the head, I'd say your looking at an eusyllinae or an oenonid. I want to say phyllodocid too, but I don't think the head is a good match. From the reefkeeping article and the jaw, I think an oenonid worm is the right answer.

Maybe this could help? http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/polychaete/frame.html

siliconflux
What are you going to do with it? :)

Unfortunately, it has been euthanized with extreme prejudice.

I brought it down to the LFS, who gave me a positive ID of Oenonidae. They argued over the exact genus (Halla, Oenone, Laranda or Tainokia), but they all agreed on the words "nocturnal serial killer" and "eats anything it can stun with mucus, including fish and possibly coral".

They mentioned some other things about poison, reproduction, survivability OUTSIDE the tank that I am not mentioning here, cause I do not want to give anyone nightmares.

Stay the heck away from this worm.

Archived