SaltCritters.com

Multiple clownfish pairs in one tank

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

Can you keep two pairs of different clowns in one tank? For example 2 black ocelaris (1pair), and 2 ocelaris clowns(2nd pair).

Can you keep two pairs of different clowns in one tank? For example 2 black ocelaris (1pair), and 2 ocelaris clowns(2nd pair).

You might be able to get away with it when they are different types like skunks and a occ pair but not when they are in the same genus

altolamprologus

Depends on how big the tank is. 500+ gallons would be fine but in smaller tanks one pair would kill the other

You might be able to get away with it when they are different types like skunks and a occ pair but not when they are in the same genus

All clowns except for maroons are in the same genus

Blennylover14

Depends on the fish and the size of he tank, if you put them in at the same time, maybe... But it all depends.. I had 8 clowns hosting one 18" carpet at one time. But then again they were all the same kind of clownfish

altolamprologus
Depends on the fish and the size of he tank, if you put them in at the same time, maybe... But it all depends.. I had 8 clowns hosting one 18" carpet at one time. But then again they were all the same kind of clownfish

Yours were also most likely in a female/male/all other gender neutral hierarchy. That's the only way it works in small tanks.

Blennylover14
Yours were also most likely in a female/male/all other gender neutral hierarchy. That's the only way it works in small tanks.

Yeah, they eventually ended up as 2 dominant females and the rest males, and all got along, which really suprised me!

C.I._Reefer
Yeah, they eventually ended up as 2 dominant females and the rest males, and all got along, which really suprised me!

u sure it wasn't 1 dominant female, one male, and the rest non-gender?. That is the MUCH more likely scenario. 99% of the time, 2 dominant females will kill each other in any sub 55g tank

one female per tank ! no way there can be two females. you can put 4 juvies in a tank, and they might be fine for a year, then two will pair up and harass the others,and then when they are close to breeding they will kill the others!!! they get hormonal, and vicious. unless you have a big tank and can divide the beatdowns to multiple clowns where there are to busy chasing away clowns! but poor clowns. just 2 per tank cuz you might end up cycling another tank! clowns are cool but they suck for that reason ;) unless you need a good reason to get another tank!!

only way i would try is if i had 2 nems and the tank aquascaped with the nems on each side of the tank and some rock dividing them in a 6" tank at the least. it has been done in smaller tanks, but a 4" tank will be pushing it. if you add all 4, and they are juvi at the same time. then you might have a success story.

Archived