SaltCritters.com

Tenecor vs CPR-MRT vs Chris' Tanks vs Eclipse

khalpern

I am trying to choose between a Tenecor 8-gal flatback hex, a CPR-MRT, one of Chris' tanks, and an Eclipse series el-cheapo tank as a good pre-built starting point for a nano-reef setup. As far as I can tell:

(1) None of the 4 seem to have sufficient lighting for a reef; installation of a DIY PC kit (such as that from AH) appears to be necessary. I've seen postings describing successful installations for the Tenecor, Eclipse, and Chris' tank.

(2) Only the CPR-MRT includes a protein skimmer (presumably comparable to their SR2 in-tank skimmer). I'm not sure how big a difference this makes. This tank is not in production at the moment, but can be obtained anyway.

Does anyone have advice that would lead to a strong preference for (or against) any of the 4 tanks?

Links are provided below.

Thanks for your help.

CPR MRT

Eclipse Systems

Tenecor 8-gal flatback hex

Chris' Tanks

i say go with chris's tank or the MRT. yeah the MRT comes with a protein skimmer but that isn't neccessary. chris's tank comes with lighting and that is necessary. and a 32 watt power compact is enough over a 7 gallon tank. if you want more you can always add more, or have chris add more while making it. whatever your chice is, just make sure it is what you want and it is economical for you:)

don't get the eclipse six or three or explorer. my first nano was a six. tank wise it was fine but the scratches got to be too much. go for the 7g bow, if i were to re-start that be one of my choices.

actually i would go with a 15H or 20XH to better aquascaping. chris's 12g offers good height. i thought he had good lighting too (2x32w's?). you can always stick a berlin air luft, lee's or piccolo in the back. i thought chris had sufficient clearance in his sump area. (no first-hand exp. though)

Thanks for the great advice!

I decided to order a tank from Chris. He kindly accepted my order even though he is no longer officially producing the tanks. It should arrive in a couple of months.

Archived