Innovative Marine Aquariums

Josh's 2.5 gallon SPS Reef

BGJ223

The tank looks awesome! Can't wait to see it grow out.

I am sure it won't grow out as fast as yours. LOL

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki
I am sure it won't grow out as fast as yours. LOL

Well, yeah. I imagine so. ;-)

Sad news to report.

Glass shrimp died last week. One of the GSP is not opening, not sure why. A small amount of algae is growing on one of the rocks, not too worried about this yet though.

Other than those little issues, things are going quite well. Temps stays a solid 78.6 day and night, I have only seen the fan come on twice so far and that has only been for a few minutes.

SPS are growing quite nicely now and I fear I will need to manage the growth of some of them soon due to their proximity to other corals.

porkchop-rob
I was going to snap some pics of the tank, but someone didn't want me to clean my glass.

20120511_195728.jpg

where can i get one of these scrapers? all of the ones i am finding are WAY too big for my 6 gallon.

Also....AWESOME little tank. great inspiration.

where can i get one of these scrapers? all of the ones i am finding are WAY too big for my 6 gallon.

Also....AWESOME little tank. great inspiration.

Go checkout http://www.micro-reefs.com

Great pico related stuff at great prices, and he is from this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tank is doing quite well in this summer heat. Temp has stayed a constant 78.0.

The flat worms are getting to be very annoying. I have upped my water changes to a few times a week to siphon them out and cull the heard. It doesn't look like it is making much of a difference though.

looks good, are you dosing anything for the sps coral? I just brought my first sps (birdsnest) and wondering if i should add any supplement. only one way to tell is to test right?

• 4 weeks later...
looks good, are you dosing anything for the sps coral? I just brought my first sps (birdsnest) and wondering if i should add any supplement. only one way to tell is to test right?

The only thing I find myself dosing is Alk on occasion. But usually water changes keep that in check for me.

Do a picture man!

Here ya go, not the best but it is a pic.

DSC_0736.JPG

Gah! I'm so excited to have found your thread! I'm trying to get a 4 gallon SPS tank going at work, but so far I've been unsuccessful :(. I'm wondering if you can give a noob some advice. I'm running an AC70 with chaeto and just filter floss in the back for now, no media basket yet. I have a PAR30 bulb with 3rb, 1cw, 1nw about 14 inches above the water. I've cycled, added the cuc, then added a couple porcelain anemone crabs, an open brain, and a nice large birdsnest frag. The open brain loves it in there, i feed it every couple of days, but the birdsnest was not super happy. It wasn't dying, but its polyps went from full extension at the store to pretty much zero extension in my tank in 2 weeks. I moved it from my rockwork down into a place with less light and less flow in my sandbed, but that did not help :(. Today I moved it to my 12g display at home, for fear I'd come in any day this week to discover RTN. I noticed you mentioned that less polyp extension could be due to too much light exposure? I was worried that the flow from the AC70 was too much for it too, but you have an extra powerhead as well. Should I consider adding a powerhead to increase flow?

Gah! I'm so excited to have found your thread! I'm trying to get a 4 gallon SPS tank going at work, but so far I've been unsuccessful :(. I'm wondering if you can give a noob some advice. I'm running an AC70 with chaeto and just filter floss in the back for now, no media basket yet. I have a PAR30 bulb with 3rb, 1cw, 1nw about 14 inches above the water. I've cycled, added the cuc, then added a couple porcelain anemone crabs, an open brain, and a nice large birdsnest frag. The open brain loves it in there, i feed it every couple of days, but the birdsnest was not super happy. It wasn't dying, but its polyps went from full extension at the store to pretty much zero extension in my tank in 2 weeks. I moved it from my rockwork down into a place with less light and less flow in my sandbed, but that did not help :(. Today I moved it to my 12g display at home, for fear I'd come in any day this week to discover RTN. I noticed you mentioned that less polyp extension could be due to too much light exposure? I was worried that the flow from the AC70 was too much for it too, but you have an extra powerhead as well. Should I consider adding a powerhead to increase flow?

Yeah I have experienced too much light causing a loss in polyp extension, but it does not sound like you have that issue. Can you explain your light setup a little more? How many Ma are you running your lights at?

What do you keep your salinity at? I try and keep mine 1.025 (Using a refractometer that was calibrated with saline solution)

I doubt you have too much flow in there. another powerhead would not hurt, helps keep gunk suspended and prevents some settling.

Also, my Birdsnest tend to freak out every now and then in my other tank.

New Pics, Finally!!

Here are the shots I took last night. As you can see a couple corals have taken a turn for the worse. My sunset Monti fell on to the GSP and browned out a little. Also two of my SPS frags have lost some tissue. Other than that, the tank is chugging along.

DSC_0743.JPG

DSC_0747.JPG

DSC_0748.JPG

DSC_0754.JPG

Oh and I might have a couple flatworms in there too. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived