ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki
I felt it was October 31st watching that video! The choice of music was awesome! Clarity of that water, just superb!

Thanks Mike,

The water clarity is thanks in part to the Chemipure Elite, Purigen, macro algae, changing the filter floss every other day and weekly 30% water changes. I'm going with slightly larger water changes because I'm actually feeding meat to both Shadie and the majanos. I stopped feeding the aiptasia because it's already multiplying without any assistance.

One nice thing about having so many majanos in there is if any food does get loose and floats around in the water, one of the majanos or aiptasia snag it up pretty quick.

What I'm finding surprising is that I thought these things were supposed to be a menace to every coral in your system, but I have majanos and aiptasia cuddled up next to palys and zoas and they don't show any sign of being stung or iritated.

I also didn't realize that yellow colony polyps will eat mysis shrimp.

Funny you should mention that. He attacks bamboo skewers and chopsticks. I've been sticking with the long forceps because he never strikes at them. Weird, huh? I can move things around in the tank with the forceps and he could care less, but put a chopstick in there and he gets very upset.

Too funny. He must be for preserving the rain forest or saving the trees or something :P

Propaganda

By far my favorite tank from the contest. If this tank doesn't win, there is something wrong in the universe.

(And damn you, I want to do this now.)

Islandoftiki
By far my favorite tank from the contest. If this tank doesn't win, there is something wrong in the universe.

(And damn you, I want to do this now.)

Thank you for the kind words!

I hope I am inspiring people to think outside the box. That is what moves this hobby forward. Experimenting with new things and pushing boundaries. Taking things that seem counter-intuitive and turning them into something functional, beautiful and entertaining.

If I win something from this whole project, that's great, but that's not my goal. My ultimate goal is to open people's minds to new possibilities. So many people think that the ultimate goal in this hobby is to keep the most difficult corals and fish. That's fun and a good challenge, but to someone new to the hobby, why not set up a pest tank? Believe me, these "pests" are just as beautiful as anything else in the ocean, and on top of that, they're pretty hard to kill. I think it's a great introduction to the hobby, and less impact on the environment to fail and kill something that was going to get flushed down the toilet anyhow.

When my friends and neighbors look at my tanks, the pest tank is just as wonderful and amazing to them as my main display tank. They don't truly grasp the idea that these are the weeds-of-the-sea, and they don't understand the challenges involved in keeping tiny tanks, but they are always impressed just the same.

On top of all of this, everything you see in my tank was given to me free of charge. Every one of the corals and the mantis shrimp were free. This was thanks to many of the members of the local saltwater aquarium club and with many donations from my local fish store, Rose City Aquarium.

Had I not last-minute decided to go absolutely nuts with the hardware aspect of the project, something very much like this could have been done on a shoestring budget of less than a hundred bucks (including livestock).

Cheers to those of you who are inspired by this project. Feel free to contact me for help, information and suggestions! I'm always happy to share my knowledge.

Dendroguy

wish the stupid cat hadn't knocked my mantis tank over, or I would've had a pest tank like yours :angry: *sigh* oh well at least they like their new digs. Hopefully* I will be able to breed mine and have baby mantis shrimp

Islandoftiki
wish the stupid cat hadn't knocked my mantis tank over, or I would've had a pest tank like yours :angry: *sigh* oh well at least they like their new digs. Hopefully* I will be able to breed mine and have baby mantis shrimp

If you figure out how to breed them, you sir, will get a gold star.

Propaganda
Thank you for the kind words!

I hope I am inspiring people to think outside the box. That is what moves this hobby forward. Experimenting with new things and pushing boundaries. Taking things that seem counter-intuitive and turning them into something functional, beautiful and entertaining.

I think you succeeded in doing just that. I thought the project was brilliant on two counts:

1. Choosing "pest" livestock. Extremely hardy and unlikely to die, great choice for such a small tank.
  2. Calling into question our attitudes towards these creatures. You made what many consider pests beautiful; that is a really incredible thing and the best thing about this tank.

Had I not last-minute decided to go absolutely nuts with the hardware aspect of the project, something very much like this could have been done on a shoestring budget of less than a hundred bucks (including livestock).

I have three sons, this may have to become a little family project. :D

Islandoftiki
Your pest tank will forever kick my 14g tanks ass. I love it!

Convert your 14g to a pest tank! It's easy!

Islandoftiki

And now for something completely different....

Night time in the pest tank!! Spooky! If this doesn't give you the chills, I don't know what will!

• Like 1
Islandoftiki
" This video is private.

Sorry about that. "

Makes me sad.

Doh! Fixed!... Now,

if you dare!!!!
Islandoftiki

It's mayhem in the pest tank!!! Corals eating corals! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

• Like 1
It's mayhem in the pest tank!!! Corals eating corals! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

I love it! Great vid.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Absolutely love it!

I would have given you a crash course in close proximity of different species in picos! I learned this lesson back in 2004, but I know you know this, and only did video to show us some action!

Islandoftiki
Absolutely love it!

I would have given you a crash course in close proximity of different species in picos! I learned this lesson back in 2004, but I know you know this, and only did video to show us some action!

Yeah, I think it happened because I was gluing some random palys and zoas in the tank and may have pushed the xenia into the palys by accident.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Yeah, I think it happened because I was gluing some random palys and zoas in the tank and may have pushed the xenia into the palys by accident.

Never admit to a homicide! LOL We could lose you forever on the boards, that would suck!

Islandoftiki
Never admit to a homicide! LOL We could lose you forever on the boards, that would suck!

Meh, at worst, it would have lost a hand or two. It's not like it doesn't have 70 or more! And I assure you, this xenia is unkillable.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Meh, at worst, it would have lost a hand or two. It's not like it doesn't have 70 or more! And I assure you, this xenia is unkillable.

Nano-reef police knock on his door, "Sir can we ask you a few questions", Officer I swear I didn't touch her, it was the movement of my hand that caused a wake in the aquarium!

So you are admitting to secondary murder? LOL

Islandoftiki

Ooooh! Oooh!! You know what I just found in the pest tank? A rust brown flat worm!!! The pest tank is complete! Now that's an epic quality pest!