SaltCritters.com

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

would you say this tank was easier to care for than a regular reef nano?

It a toss-up. Two quart water changes couldn't be easier. The biggest downside to such a small tank is getting all of your equipment in there. The biggest thing I would have liked to have had would be an ATO. Without an ATO, you're pretty much married to your tank. You'll need a tank sitter to top it off daily if you go away for the weekend. I was able to get two days between top-offs with the partial cover over the tank, but that was sometimes a stretch depending on the relative humidity.

Honestly, if I were to do it again, I would figure out how to put a sump on the tank for all of the equipment and to add a little volume for extra stability, but that's just my personal preference.

• 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

how active was shadie on a day to day basis? Was he active for a mantis or secretive?

He was on the secretive side, which is pretty normal for G. viridis. It wouldn't be my first choice for a mantis after having an extra-interactive O. scyllarus. However, he was an appropriate size for the 2 gallon tank. None of the super interactive ones are small enough for a pico tank. Of course, you never know; every individual mantis has a different personality, just like we do.

Islandoftiki

okay. do you know how interactive smithi is?

Both Smithii and Wennerae are supposed to be pretty good.

• Like 1

With one punch, poor fish was OUT COLD. She snatched chromis motionless body and dragged it back to her cave. (I should probably add that 4 chromis were added just for that purpose - feeder fish)

Islandoftiki

I keep hearing more and more anecdotal stories of mantis attacking chromis. I don't think I'd try keeping a mantis with chromis. Damsels, on the other hand... I've never heard of a mantis attacking and eating a damsel. They must taste like crap.

In my O. scyllarus tank, my damsel got hit the other day. Twice. That's what he gets for trying to steal food out of her arms (maxillipeds). Betty didn't hit him very hard, but enough to leave two faint marks (which don't show up well on camera).

f6909e56-bc7b-47c4-9ba2-c85ba7ccee19_zps

He's been just fine and the marks are almost completely gone in a couple days. I heard her hit him, but it wasn't even as hard as she's hit me, which really didn't hurt, so it was obviously a light tap warning shot. She's crazy tolerant of that fish's shenanigans.

• 4 months later...

Is this tank still around or did you take it down already for Hawaii?

All of my tanks are broken down, but this one is going with me as well as my 10 gallon and 25 gallon tanks.

I actually have two 2 gallon Fluval Spec tanks to play with, but one is just a stock freshwater setup. The Spec will inevitably be the first one set up as we're going to be renting for about a year before we buy a house and I imagine most landlords won't mind a 2 gallon aquarium. That and it's super easy to move when that time comes. Should be able to do plenty of interesting tidepool creatures in a 2 gallon. Heck for some of these critters, living in a climate controlled 2 gallon tank would be the lap of luxury compared to the puddles that many get stuck in for extended periods of time.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any endemic species of mantis shrimp that would be suitable for a 2 gallon tank, so that's going to have to wait until I get some bigger tanks up and running.

I keep toying with the idea of sumping this tank. That might be challenging with the relatively thin glass.

Regardless, the gears are turning...

• Like 1

Reading this thread was a great little journey!

For ATO, I like to use the battery operated air pumps that are designed for bait buckets. They are low voltage and can be wired directly to your float switch. Pump air into a gallon jug, and it forces your top off water out. You should be able to find an example if you google it. I use on for my office pico, lasts a week or more with a gallon jug.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

know Is a Very old thread but what is that very colorful crab in the video next to the one taking the food from the coral.

If I recall correctly, that was some random xanthid pest crab that I was given.

This guy:

3107F3C8-orig.jpg

He was pretty cool, but stayed hidden most of the time.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, that was some random xanthid pest crab that I was given.

This guy:

3107F3C8-orig.jpg

He was pretty cool, but stayed hidden most of the time.

I got something like that, the thing is a monster, throws my rocks around. Never pinches me. I have held him

\

• 1 year later...

Thank you, Islandoftiki. This thread had inspired me to set-up a Fluval Spec 2-gallon on my work desk over a year ago. I had it running for about a year with live rock pieces in the filter area (your set-up advice, early in the thread) and the stock lighting and filter pump. Kept "easy" level inhabitants successfully. I had co-workers topping it off. This was not a problem as I was the "Betta tank" expert for their fresh water desk aquariums and they were happy to work with me in exchange for my free advice about their pets and vacation tank maintenance top offs for them.  I have straight razor-ed  all of the inner works out of my Fluval 2-gallon tank (the black rear overflow filtration section) and will set it up again with an Aqua Clear 20 on the back and an ATO, two "D" battery operated air pump into a gallon RO water bottle (Look on You Tube). Lighting will be an "Asta 20." The tank will sit on a custom cut 1/2 thick plywood (painted gloss black). That wood will have a similar piece screwed onto the back that runs up behind the tank. I do this for two reasons... The tank sits on plywood so that it can be moved on a moments notice should my work location change. The light can fit onto the piece that runs up the rear of the tank, thereby avoiding stress on the glass. The Asta 20m has a wide clamp that accommodates the wood thickness. I am waiting for the top off switch brackets to arrive and will begin round two for this tank. It would never happen without your thread, Islandoftiki, which I recommend with regularity. Thanks... Kenny

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 6:16 PM, kaptinvic said:

Thank you, Islandoftiki. This thread had inspired me to set-up a Fluval Spec 2-gallon on my work desk over a year ago. I had it running for about a year with live rock pieces in the filter area (your set-up advice, early in the thread) and the stock lighting and filter pump. Kept "easy" level inhabitants successfully. I had co-workers topping it off. This was not a problem as I was the "Betta tank" expert for their fresh water desk aquariums and they were happy to work with me in exchange for my free advice about their pets and vacation tank maintenance top offs for them.  I have straight razor-ed  all of the inner works out of my Fluval 2-gallon tank (the black rear overflow filtration section) and will set it up again with an Aqua Clear 20 on the back and an ATO, two "D" battery operated air pump into a gallon RO water bottle (Look on You Tube). Lighting will be an "Asta 20." The tank will sit on a custom cut 1/2 thick plywood (painted gloss black). That wood will have a similar piece screwed onto the back that runs up behind the tank. I do this for two reasons... The tank sits on plywood so that it can be moved on a moments notice should my work location change. The light can fit onto the piece that runs up the rear of the tank, thereby avoiding stress on the glass. The Asta 20m has a wide clamp that accommodates the wood thickness. I am waiting for the top off switch brackets to arrive and will begin round two for this tank. It would never happen without your thread, Islandoftiki, which I recommend with regularity. Thanks... Kenny

That sounds awesome!  That's funny that you mention bettas.  This very tank now houses a betta fish.  I have my second Fluval Spec sitting next to it with another betta fish in it.  We rescued the two who were being used as table decorations at a child's birthday party.  I have made a few modifications to the tanks for the bettas, but they are otherwise mostly stock and sadly, freshwater now.  Hopefully towards the end of next year, I'll have a saltwater tank up and running.  I still have boxes and boxes of equipment in the garage.  Life has been extraordinarily busy since moving to Hawaii.  This new year is going to be an exciting one. 

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/25/2021 at 12:48 AM, Islandoftiki said:

Hey gang!  I'm back after 6 years!!

Come follow my new tank!

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian Tidepool Tank!

Hi there! I know this thread is pretty much closed since you've moved to Hawaii! Congrats by the way im so jealous! I've only just found this thread and its inspired me. I've always loved the so called pest corals and hitch hikers. Think I will be setting up one or 2 similarly themed tanks once i get situated in my new place. Do you think you will try this style or theme of tank again? It seemed to be super cost effective especially considering most hobbysists and stores cant get rid of the pests fast enough.  Thanks for the inspiration! Going to have to check out your Hawaii tank as well! 

Islandoftiki
On 4/8/2021 at 7:43 AM, kekke1082 said:

Hi there! I know this thread is pretty much closed since you've moved to Hawaii! Congrats by the way im so jealous! I've only just found this thread and its inspired me. I've always loved the so called pest corals and hitch hikers. Think I will be setting up one or 2 similarly themed tanks once i get situated in my new place. Do you think you will try this style or theme of tank again? It seemed to be super cost effective especially considering most hobbysists and stores cant get rid of the pests fast enough.  Thanks for the inspiration! Going to have to check out your Hawaii tank as well! 

Absolutely!  Honesty, to this day, I would give anything to have this tank back.  It was by far and a way my favorite.  I highly recommend it, but it's not something I can probably do in Hawaii, so I'm looking to come up with a new outside of the box tank that fits what I can do here.  So, with my newly cycled 5 gallon Fluval Spec, I'm getting ready to start something new and hopefully weird that you haven't seen before. 

Please PM me when you get your tank going.  I'm excited to see what you do and hope to follow your thread, and I welcome any questions you may have.  I always want to help people with unusual projects. 

Okole maluna! 

Islandoftiki (John) 

• Like 1