SaltCritters.com

new BC 14?

QED

I have been looking to get back into Saltwater fish keeping for awhile but want to do so without spending a lot up front and have a small clean looking set up. From what I have found cost wise the Oceanic Biocube 14 with matching stand seems to fit what I am looking for best. Is the newer version with the "PC/LED" any better? Any words of caution before purchasing this tank? If nothing major I think I'll be buying one shortly. My plan is to get the tank up and let it run for some time before doing much to it. I have been shopping around for live rock and found that Saltwaterfish.com has a nano package with 12 pounds quite cheap has anyone bought this? What live rock is the best to purchase? I am not really into much green growth on the rock more so just coraline. Would dry rock be a better bet, and how long should I expect for coraline to grow?

Sorry for all the questions trying to get all this figured out!

Thanks,

QED

Reef Hollister

Read and take this to heart:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversio...hp/t180788.html

Alot of good info. Plan on gettting out the bioballs first thing and getting a media basket.

Get another source of flow such as a Koralia.

Upgrade the return pump.

All that info is in the forum.

If you don't mind a tough cycle, get some Florida Live rock. If you use dry rock you will have to have a source to start the coralline and patience.

I would recommend this from this seller. He has a very good reputation and the stuff is loaded with life.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-lbs-of-Primo-De...=item256c96c6c4

I was looking at adding a Koralia Nano, and possibly upgrading the stock pump. I have heard a MaxiJet would be good for this?

What do you mean by tough cycle? I think I may go dry rock as its cheaper and I would avoid all the pests that I hear horror stories about lol

Another question, Would a ATO fit in the back chambers?

Reef Hollister

Most people, including myself, start their upgrades to a Koralia and Maxijet. Both will help.

By tough cycle, usually called a hard cycle, there is already alot of life on the rocks, so it has a chance of dying creating a bigger spike in the ammonia etc. levels. On the other hand, since there is already alot of bio there already, it can recover quicker. The question is do you want to have a cycle that won't have as big of a spike, but is much slower, or a bigger spike and quicker recovery. There are many others on here that can explain it better than I can.

Remeber with dry rock you will still have to find a source to start the coralline growth and be very patient. You will also have to either get live sand or a source to add life to your sand.

IMO the good hitchhikers from Florida live rock far outweighs the risk of pests. In fact, I got some really good stuff and had no bad HHs. There was one crab that I would have questioned, but he didn't survive the trip. I'm not much of a risk taker except in career choice and in my tank I suppose.

I don't know about the ATO. I've never tried, but others can answer.

I'm pretty sure I may just be patient and do the dry rock route. Unless anyone can vouch for saltwaterfish.com. It just seems like I have a bit more selection on what I can buy and whats a few months of waiting long term...Any idea of how much I should buy? I'm thinking 20-30 pounds?

Also after some reading the inTank basket seems like the way to go...Is the Chempure/Purigen or the Chaeto route better? How often would I have to replace Chempure/Purgen?

Dnanoreefer

in tank basket is the way to go, you dont need to run chaeto if you dont want. maxi 900 isnt nessecary also, it is nice but not a total nessecity. a kroralia nano 240 is great amout of flow. base rock, meaning dry rock will work fine and is half the price of "live rock" from an established tank or cured. it will take a little wile for the dry rock to build up the "live" characteristics but its fun to watch. adding one or two peices of live rock from a local fish store will help the other dry rock a bit also and as hollister said live sand is kind of a must. imo. good luck

Archived