Top Shelf Aquatics

Lostmindedv's Biocube HQI!

lostmindedv

Bigboosting
Just incase anyone was wondering about the AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 and what kind of skimmate it pulls here is a picture:

That's after a week or so. Hope it helps anyone out there thinking of getting one for their Biocube.

That is very similar to what mine pulls as well. I have no other skimmer to compare it too on my tank, but it does seem to consistently take out nasty looking stuff.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

Pssh that's nothing.The 3 foot skimmers on the 1,000 gallon systems at work pull gallons of baby diarrhea :lol: Yours is pretty good for that skimmer though.I have that one on my quarantine tank (more for aeration than anything) and the darkest it's gotten is like lemonade.

lostmindedv
That is very similar to what mine pulls as well. I have no other skimmer to compare it too on my tank, but it does seem to consistently take out nasty looking stuff.

I've never used another skimmer either and I never thought I would need one, but after seeing what this pulls out of a my fish only tank right now I would never run without it lol. This skimmer is doing great for the cost though, couldn't be happier :)

Pssh that's nothing.The 3 foot skimmers on the 1,000 gallon systems at work pull gallons of baby diarrhea :lol: Yours is pretty good for that skimmer though.I have that one on my quarantine tank (more for aeration than anything) and the darkest it's gotten is like lemonade.

Don't hate Alto :P

It's probably only getting a lemonade skimmate because your QT doesn't have much bioload. Mine was pulling like nothing at first when I first set up the tank, but now with 3 fish, a cleaner shrimp and CUC its pulling some good skimmate.

Your tanks looking great Mind, nice job on the aquascaping. I just picked up an HQI myself, and was hoping I could ask you a question about the JPJ ATO.

1) the JPJ ATO comes with two sensors right? So I would put both sensors in chamber 3 with the heater and return pump. One sensor would be at the level I want the water to be at, and the other sensor about an inch or two above that as a failsafe against the display tank overflowing. Does that sound right?

2) How high are the water levels in chambers 2 and 3 in your tank?

thx and nice job!

lostmindedv
Your tanks looking great Mind, nice job on the aquascaping. I just picked up an HQI myself, and was hoping I could ask you a question about the JPJ ATO.

1) the JPJ ATO comes with two sensors right? So I would put both sensors in chamber 3 with the heater and return pump. One sensor would be at the level I want the water to be at, and the other sensor about an inch or two above that as a failsafe against the display tank overflowing. Does that sound right?

2) How high are the water levels in chambers 2 and 3 in your tank?

thx and nice job!

Yes, it does come with two sensors. I have mine set up like this: 1 sensor at the height I want the water in chamber 3. Then I have the other sensor in a bucket of distilled water used for topping off. It is in the bucket so my pump that's used to pump water into chamber 3 doesn't run dry. I believe I have pictures of my setup on page 1 if you want to take a look.

I have my water level stay below the first basket of my intank media basket.

Thanks for the compliments man! Let me know of you need me to go into more detail about the JBJ ATO setup.

lostmindedv

Looks like I have some red coralline algae growing on my dry rock :) If it stays red I'll have a mix of red and dark purple.

From my Iphone so it's kinda sucky

lostmindedv

Finally got around to ordering some stuff for my birthday. Here's what I ended up ordering:

Bulk Reed Supply:

• Refractometer
  • Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit (Ca, KH, Mg)

Dr. Foster & Smith

• Ocean Nutrition Formula One Flakes
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula One Small Pellets
  • Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Medium Pellets
  • Coral Pro Salt 55 gallons
  • Reef Gently AccliMate Pro
  • Coral Rx Coral Dip Pro

With all this stuff ordered I should be set for the summer. During the summer I plan to start adding some corals, which is why I got the Coral RX dip. Also, I'm very interested in using the Reef Gently AccliMate Pro. Watching the video and seeing all the different functions it has seems like it will be a worth investment. Everything should be in later this week :) Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...
lostmindedv

I think I'm going to remove the cheato from the back. I haven't been able to get it grow with the intank light even with it right inside the ball. It keeps getting thinner and thinner and random pieces of the cheato are making it into the display which is frustrating.

I don't think it gets enough light/flow in the back chamber two even with the light :/

Any suggestions?

altolamprologus
I think I'm going to remove the cheato from the back. I haven't been able to get it grow with the intank light even with it right inside the ball. It keeps getting thinner and thinner and random pieces of the cheato are making it into the display which is frustrating.

I don't think it gets enough light/flow in the back chamber two even with the light :/

Any suggestions?

What's your phos and nitrate levels? Chaeto will grow in low light and zero flow so it's definitely not that.

lostmindedv
What's your phos and nitrate levels? Chaeto will grow in low light and zero flow so it's definitely not that.

I don't have a test kit for phos yet, sorry about that. According to my API test my nitrates are 0ppm. The API test always reads 0ppm for nitrates even at the end of the week which I'm guessing is because of the cheato reducing it.

I guess it's a good thing that the cheato isn't growing because that would mean my nutrients are under control? There's enough phos and nitrates for it to live, but not die. Maybe that's why it is not growing? I guess I was just expecting a little growth out it.

lostmindedv

Going to be picking up some coral frags something during the next week and have been reading on light acclimating the coral when they arrive. From the readings I've done it seems as if the "screen method" the favorite.

That being said, is the fiberglass screen below what I'm looking for? I plan on cutting it squares that fit on the top of my HQI. Then I'll layer the squares so it blocks about 75% of the light and remove a layer once a week. Does that sound right?

Fiberglass Screen

This is going to be my first time with corals so I want to make sure I'm doing it right so sorry if this is dumb.

Did you try the Reef Gently Acclimate yet? Mines arriving on Wed and I was wondering how you liked it. We have the same tank/equipment so I'm looking for updates.

lostmindedv
Did you try the Reef Gently Acclimate yet? Mines arriving on Wed and I was wondering how you liked it. We have the same tank/equipment so I'm looking for updates.

I have not yet. I might be getting some corals/livestock this weekend so if I do I'll post pics and a review of it.

Archived