ReefCleaners.org

The Water Box

JamesHL88

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geledium. Get rid of it or put it in the sump.

Mexican Turbo Snails are know to eat Gelidium according to several posts on RC.

Also, it is the major source of Agar which is used in many applications: labs and also in foods !

FWIW

Whats bad about it ?Is it invasive, because Im kind of wanting macros to take over the display.

Yes it is invasive and spreads, not sure if this is the type you want in your tank.

Read up on it some more and then decide what you want to do.

A Google search with " gelidium algae " will bring up a lot of links you can follow and read including some from a number of different forums

So one of my chromis decided to see whats up with that u tube overflow thing while i was at work today lol. Got home and found him swimming around in the filter sock. All is well though he is back in the display and doesnt seem harmed in the slightest. Funny critters and crazy contraptions make for a surprising hobby.

Just ordered a 21 watt Exotic par38 Led 20000k reef lamp :) trying to get some color out of these weak ass sps :( im so noob. I also ordered a cheap media reactor but it was in an order i canceled. I will get it later. Super excited XD gonna have me a sweet LED spotlight!

I couldnt decide if i wanted to keep the gelidium algae in the display or not. But the turbos decided for me :(

aww. that macros is not a good one for the display honestly. it's rubbery, with small leaves making removal nearly impossible. If you want macros to take over the display, you could look into Blue Ochtodes, Halimeda, Red Grape, Codium, Red Titan.

Thanks kat. Ill definately look into those. Since i dont have my tang anymore im really considering taking this tank in a planted direction. But then again my reef just kind of develops how it wants without paying much attention to my plans.

I got asked to maintain the freshwater aquarium at the animal clinic. One thing led to another and im tearing it down and making it SALTY! WOOT WOOT :)

So im bout to start browsing bulk reef supply and i will have a new build thread soon :P

Acclimating the tank to the addition of the leds

2012-09-22133529_zpsd8ac81e6.jpg

2012-09-22133756_zps00b8d2da.jpg

Also i got the freshwater tank at the animal clinic emptied and cleaned out. Everything is ordered from BRS to get the tank started. Its a 110 gallon xh tank and im going to make it a fish only with inverts. Hopefully ill get some pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived