Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Water Box

JamesHL88

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you :) They cut it for me at lowes for free. But they didnt cut it like i thought they would. They scored it and broke it like glass. Wasnt expecting that but it worked.

godfathernikki
Thank you :) They cut it for me at lowes for free. But they didnt cut it like i thought they would. They scored it and broke it like glass. Wasnt expecting that but it worked.

Really? And that gave you a clean enough edge to seal? I'm surprised. I used to work for a picture framing company and cut acrylic like that all the time, but the edges were alway kind of rough. They were clean and straight enough for picture frame, but I would have guessed you'd need something like a table saw for a sump. Well it looks like it worked anyway!

I always liked scoring acrylic on a wall cutter, it sounded like a giant zipper lol.

Ok so the sump is plumbed! Unfortunately i havent recieved my fuge light, and skimmer yet. But everything else is done.

I wanted to wait until i had all my equipment to take pictures but i got excited so heres what i have so far.

Home made acrilic sump/fuge soft plumbed with eshoppes 300 overflow.

2012-07-27174004.jpg

2012-07-27173937.jpg

2012-07-27173655.jpg

2012-07-27173711.jpg

2012-07-26145348.jpg

2012-07-27174646.jpg

2012-07-26145609.jpg

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING :)

2012-07-26150010.jpg

godfathernikki

Lookin good man! Just a quick tip on those HOB return's - if you haven't done so yet, you might want to drill out a little hole at the water level to make sure the siphon breaks when your return pump is turned off.

If you look closely at the return on the left you can see what I mean.build_29.jpg

I already did godfather, but thanks for the tip. I did a fuge on a 20 gallon one time and that was the real learning curve for me. This time i had more confidence and a direction i wanted to take the build.

I plumbed it last night added the hole in the return and tested it for power outages over and over. It went well enough that im spending the night out of town tonight. Fingers crossed.

Well i made it back home and i am very satisfied with how well the system performed. The only tiny issue i could find is there is a little salt creep forming around the bulkhead i used on the overflow box. It isnt dripping, but im going to rub a beed of silicone around it anyways. I cant wait to get my skimmer and fuge light in.

Got home from work today and my yellow tang was being devoured by hermits :( . It had been acting lethargic for a couple of days now so it wasnt a big shock but it still sucks. I guess another large water change is in order <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

first, glad to see yall are safe after the storm! good thing for petrol too! lol

anyway, awesome tank! love the scape and coral selection! awesome sump/fuge build, looks very well constructed!!

have you considered changing one of thew t5 daylight bulbs for something else? possibly a aqua blue or a geisseman actinic? think it would give you a little less white, and a lil more pop! anyway, good luck!! looks great!!

Brad and Kat,

I went with eshoppes because of the $. I know I blasted the eshoppes nano that I had but this one has been performing flawlessly. As for the sock, I've been planning on making a sock holder and frag rack out of some spare acrylic I have. I have just been too busy.

Jerzsky,

Thank you for your compliments :)

I don't know what my OP says now but my current bulb combo is

Next bulb change I'm going to swap a 10000 with another 460

I'm also battin around the idea of a DIY retro led/t5HO canopy

Power came back on this morning. everything worked out great. Heat got a little high because there was no AC, which caused my soft corals to close up. But Everything is still in one piece. Can't say the same for the fence in my backyard :(

A power outage is what I most fear with my tank. Our AC went out early this summer and I lost my favorite fish, a long nosed hawkfish. I was floating bags of ice in the tank to keep it below 82C and I think the bag must have moved suddenly when melting and scared him into jumping. He found a gap in the 1/4" screen. He was still wet when I found him but definitely dead.

If we lose power it will likely be in the winter so I've been looking into buying a generator before January. I was hoping you could fill us in on your generator and what you were able to run with it. I'm most concerned by refilling them since so many seem to only last a few hours and I'd want something that could keep the tank going through the night and through a normal work day. I've read a few articles, but would love to know more how it actually worked for you irl.

Its a craftsman 10hp 5600 watt. Its a beast. I use it in a power outage to run my entire tank, tv, dvd player, two box fans, and several phone and laptop chargers. I use it at work to run ridiculously large powertools. Im pretty sure it could run some small window unit air conditioners but didnt want to risk it. Its pretty damn loud but it is worth its weight in gold. It ran for 18 straight hours on roughly a tank and a half. Cost me about $30 in gas. And my tank is fine. The only issue here was heat. I had to open my cabinet doors and turned off both heaters. I wouldnt have a reef right now if it wasnt for this genorator.

Archived