Pod Your Reef

Reefin' at Work

banshee

No more macros. I'd have to get rid of the emeralds first, which I still might do. I only ordered the two mangroves, the gorg and the tisbe pods. I was happy with the shipping and packaging though. I'd like to order more macros but they always seem to be out of stock on the really nice ones. I'll keep an eye out in case they get more before the contest deadline. I'm really interested in getting more softies though. If I don't find some nice ones soon I may start moving some from home to this tank for the duration of the contest.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel
The mangrove arrived with the little sprout. I'm excited for them to grow! And I'm excited for them to keep this tank in tip top shape. ;)

I hope to! I was thinking about going to the LFS today to see what I can find. I keep hoping to find some more fast-growing softies to fill in the left side of the tank. I even posted on my local club forum looking for pest corals like xenia, kenya tree, cloves, or whatever but got no bites. I get paid at the end of the month so I'll have to do a big shopping spree to get some stuff before the 1st!

Like that the mangrove grows .. good sign that it has nutrients and is cleaning your tank water.

Watch for the lighting as too much heat on the mangrove will kill it off ...

On getting more lifeforms ... yes you will IMO need some .. so keep us posted on what you add and how things are doing as you increase the load Thanks for sharing

Albert

I caught my emerald up in my soap dish eating chaeto. he knew i saw him and quickly hopped off.

Duh ... am I missing something here :) :)

Albert

I'm sure it will open before too long. Did you order any other macros from them? If so, what did you think of the packaging and portion size? I couldn't believe how MUCH they send out. I wasn't crazy about their giant cylinder bags though. There was no way I could temp float the macros in my little 10g tank. Luckily everything survived without the acclimation!!!!! I'm not complaining about the amounts they give though...not at all :happy:

Gena ... I know what you mean .. what I used to do with those tall bags that do not stay upright and sink somewhat in the water is transfer their content to smaller bags I used to keep, and then float them.

That used to work well

Albert

return the emeralds!!!!!!!

Here is just one link on the Emerald crabs ... and I remember that they eat bubble algae but to be honest one should not have bubble algae in their tank to begin with, as they can be a "real" problem as you probably know already

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Emerald-Crab_p_178.html

Albert

I caught my emerald up in my soap dish eating chaeto. he knew i saw him and quickly hopped off.

:)

I had bubble algae in my 14G which is why I got the emeralds. Once it was gone they began picking at everything so I moved them to the pico where they were perfectly fine until I got the macros. Now I have a couple spots of bubble algae in my 14G again so I may take them back home to clean up that tank again and move all my macros to the pico. It's just a pain and I haven't wanted to do it yet. Maybe tomorrow since I'll be pretty much alone in the office. I'll have to pick some nice corals out of my home tank to bring in.

albertthiel
I had bubble algae in my 14G which is why I got the emeralds. Once it was gone they began picking at everything so I moved them to the pico where they were perfectly fine until I got the macros. Now I have a couple spots of bubble algae in my 14G again so I may take them back home to clean up that tank again and move all my macros to the pico. It's just a pain and I haven't wanted to do it yet. Maybe tomorrow since I'll be pretty much alone in the office. I'll have to pick some nice corals out of my home tank to bring in.

Sounds like a plan and what you may have to do to get rid of those bubble algae again ... are they the shiny round big one types ?

You can check this link for info on Valonia ventricosa

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

Albert

Great news! The gorg has some PE on two branches already! I cleaned out the filter and got the flow back to where it should be and gorg perked right up! I took a video and some pics but they're uploading now. If I can I'll post them when I get home. :happy:

My first video!

Taken with my iPhone so not the greatest but I tried to show how much flow this tank has by getting the movement of the GSP in there. And some top down shots. At the end you can catch the madarin for a bit. He was playing shy!

albertthiel
My first video!

Taken with my iPhone so not the greatest but I tried to show how much flow this tank has by getting the movement of the GSP in there. And some top down shots. At the end you can catch the madarin for a bit. He was playing shy!

Nice and for one taken with an iPhone pretty good I would say

Albert

I feed the tank algae pellets, mysis, rotifers, arctipods, etc. I'm sure it will be okay. I might grab a bottle of phyto too.

I added more stuff today. Two feather dusters (bought 1 and I guess the other one hitch hiked!), a plug of xenia with some zoas grown on it, a pink mushroom, and a sun coral. :happy: Pictures to come once things start to open up!

PICTURES!

New FTS:

FTS6-15.jpg

Pink Mushie:

pinkmushroom.jpg

Small Feather Duster:

smallfeatherduster.jpg

Sun coral:

suncoral.jpg

Xenia with zoas:

xenia.jpg

albertthiel
Looks good, what are you feeding the gorgonian?

Interesting topic indeed as there are IME two types, those with lots of Zooxanthellae which therefore need a lot of light and less food particles and the other type that has less Zooxanthellae and therefore needs more feeding (shrimp meat and the like)

I also remember as I have not had any for quite a while that they like water flow and that they need to be held firmly in place and not be allowed to float around in the tank as they will invariably end up in a spot that is not good for them (not enough light or not enough flow or both). FWIW

Albert

I feed the tank mysis, Rotifera, arctipods, shrimp pellets, and algae pellets. I'm sure it will be able to catch some of that. I also plan to grab a bottle of phyto next time I go to the LFS. :)

albertthiel
I feed the tank mysis, Rotifera, arctipods, shrimp pellets, and algae pellets. I'm sure it will be able to catch some of that. I also plan to grab a bottle of phyto next time I go to the LFS. :)

No doubt in my mind that you are feeding such a variety of foods that all livestock should be real happy and find what they like best ... and I am sure too having read many of your messages that you do not overfeed so the tank remains in balance and not overloaded with uneaten foods.

A pic of a nice Elephant ear from ZephNYC I believe that looks in real good shape and that is one of my favorite additions to a reef since they grow, are no really aggressive and are no that difficult to keep in great shape. I used to have a huge one that was so big that it took two of us to move it when I decided years ago to move it from a 125 to a custom built 300 gallon one. Yes two of us ... as it was huge ... don't think I have any pics on my current Mac but I may have some on zip drives I used in those years to back up pics ... problem is to find the right zip drive as I seem to have so many :)

sarcophyton_zeph.png

On another note ==> : I wish all the Fathers out there a real Happy Father's day ... and a great week end or balance thereof.

Albert

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-new FTS:

EndofJuneFTS.jpg

I took it last week and just now pulled it off my phone.

I updated the first post with the full livestock list and I added a green tree leather today. I hope it does well. I haven't had any luck with leathers as of yet. Everything else seems to be doing well. The gorg puts out polyps at least a couple hours a day for feeding. The sun coral is opening more often too. The pink mushie fell down to the bottom of the rock and attached there so I'm letting it stay. The feather dusters each moved to their own spots right in the middle of the cave. I moved the acans to the front so I could see the mushroom and I need to glue down the xenia/zoa frag plug. It keeps end up in the sand but thankfully nothing on there seems to care where it is so long as it's not touching the nem! :lol:

I'm hoping my paycheck comes through tomorrow so I can finish my shopping for this tank before the deadline. I'll probably bring in some stuff from home and pick some stuff up from the LFS too. After that I can finally sit back and watch it grow!

albertthiel
Semi-new FTS:

EndofJuneFTS.jpg

I took it last week and just now pulled it off my phone.

I updated the first post with the full livestock list and I added a green tree leather today. I hope it does well. I haven't had any luck with leathers as of yet. Everything else seems to be doing well. The gorg puts out polyps at least a couple hours a day for feeding. The sun coral is opening more often too. The pink mushie fell down to the bottom of the rock and attached there so I'm letting it stay. The feather dusters each moved to their own spots right in the middle of the cave. I moved the acans to the front so I could see the mushroom and I need to glue down the xenia/zoa frag plug. It keeps end up in the sand but thankfully nothing on there seems to care where it is so long as it's not touching the nem! :lol:

I'm hoping my paycheck comes through tomorrow so I can finish my shopping for this tank before the deadline. I'll probably bring in some stuff from home and pick some stuff up from the LFS too. After that I can finally sit back and watch it grow!

Looking good ....

Thanks all! I decided to take some pics today at feeding time while everything was open and happy (except the sun corals - they haven't opened today).

Acans:

acans.jpg

Feather Dusters:

featherdusters.jpg

Fuzzy mushrooms:

fuzzymushrooms.jpg

Happy gorg:

gorg2.jpg

gorg.jpg

GSP:

GSP.jpg

nem:

nem2.jpg

nem-1.jpg

Xenia and zoas:

xeniaandzoas.jpg

Fiesta, the mandarin:

mandarin-1.jpg

FTS:

FTSJuly3.jpg

The emeralds and the hermits were all hiding out in the back. Guess they're camera shy! ;)

albertthiel
Thanks all! I decided to take some pics today at feeding time while everything was open and happy (except the sun corals - they haven't opened today).

Looks really great Banshee ... nice work in keeping that aquarium in great shape !

Archived