Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefin' at Work

banshee

I do behavior evals on the dogs at the local shelter. Yesterday I met a very cute brown dachshund with one blue eye. She reminded me of your pup :) I wanted to call her Lily(I think I remember that being your dog's name) but someone had already named her Hannah. She was a very sweet girl and I thought of you.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news and bad news.

Good news - Got a ton of macros tonight! Going to make a baggie of pieces for the pico!

Bad news - The mandarin is suicidal. He somehow managed to swim up into my filter and really messed himself up. I don't know how he did it. All the sudden I just heard an awful noise in the AC70 and looked in and there he was. I quickly got him back into the tank and then grabbed a bag of carbon from my fish drawer and cut it open and threw away the carbon. I rinsed it and then covered every little opening on the filter with it. I hope he makes it. :(

Good news! The mandarin seems to be recovering from yesterday's adventure!

mandarin5-24.jpg

Here's a shot where you can see my female emerald and parts of the maxi mini sticking out of it's hole:

emeraldandmaxi.jpg

My female emerald. I need to get a pic of the male. He's HUGE!

emeraldcrab.jpg

New macros. Codium, dragon's breath, and blue ochtodes:

macros.jpg

FTS 5-24:

FTS5-24.jpg

Top down shot:

topdown.jpg

Nice save on the Mandarin! I bet he was just trying to pull a Finding Nemo move and jam up the filter. Sad thing is he did!

Glad he is doing well.

Me too! I thought for sure he would be toast! He's very low key today but he's moving. Haven't seen him eating yet today but hopefully it's just a little stress that will go away!

I'm glad he's doing well today. Do you think he was sucked up into the intake tube, a la nemo? That's crazy!!!!!!

I think that's exactly what he did. He didn't eat his mysis today so he's not out of the woods yet. I'm hoping some nice, juicy pods came in on the macro so he can get himself a snack. You can probably see in the pictures where I covered the intake tube with mesh. Hopefully he won't find a way to do that again!

Updates!

May contest FTS:

MayFTS.jpg

May FES:

MayFES.jpg

New coral, hot pink acan with purple edges:

acan.jpg

My favorite HH, a feather duster:

featherduster.jpg

My male emerald. I think I'll name him Brutus. He's huge and a bully to the female!

maleemerald.jpg

The tank is doing well. The mandarin has recovered from his adventure and is eating well. The maxi mini has moved into a slightly more visible location and looks happy. And the emeralds keep things nice and neat. :happy:

Love the acans! Nice color choice :)

Gotta love that pink! :wub:

I'm really liking this pico, I bet you won't frag that gsp and send it to me! Haha jk.

After the contest I just might!

Ran all my tests today and did my weekly water change. All good except salinity was a little high. Removed a cup of water and replaced with RODI so should be good now. Placed an order for some new stuff: Mangrove pods, yellow finger gorgonian, and a couple bottles of tisbe pods to keep my mandarin happy and fat. Oh, and my coworkers named him Fiesta. They said he looks like he should be the mascot for a mexican restaurant. :lol:

As an aside, does anyone want to get rid of some xenia? I want some for this tank but the LFS wanted me to pay $15 a stalk for it!

Glad to see you back around these parts!!!!!!!!

I have some xenia I'll be getting rid of. But, from everything I've read, they do not ship well at all. Especially not priority mail. Try your local reef club!!!!!!

I got my live-plants.com order last night and got everything into the pico today! :happy:

Mangroves in the filter:

mangroves.jpg

Yellow Finger Gorgonian:

Gorgonian.jpg

My maxi mini finally moved to where I can get a pic!

nem.jpg

FTS with mandarin:

FTS6-14.jpg

FTS:

FTSJune14.jpg

I got two 8oz bags of tisbe pods too. Added one to the fuge and going to add the other later. Fiesta the Mandarin is one happy fish today! :lol:

albertthiel
My 3 and Under Contest Entry

Tank

JBJ 3 Gallon Pico

Light

BoostLED Par30

LR from LFS

Fish:

Green Mandarin

Corals

GSP

Fuzzy Mushrooms

Acans

Yellow Finger Gorgonian

Macros:

Codium

Fauchia

Blue Ochtodes

Chaeto

Mangrove Pods

Inverts/CUC

5 hermits

2 emerald crabs

1 whelk

1 purple/green maxi mini

FTS 6-14:

FTS6-14.jpg

Nice for a 3 Gallon indeed

Albert

I got my live-plants.com order last night and got everything into the pico today! :happy:

Mangroves in the filter:

mangroves.jpg

Nice mangrove indeed and already a growth ... or did it come that way

Albert

The mangrove arrived with the little sprout. I'm excited for them to grow! And I'm excited for them to keep this tank in tip top shape. ;)

are you going to add any more corals?

I hope to! I was thinking about going to the LFS today to see what I can find. I keep hoping to find some more fast-growing softies to fill in the left side of the tank. I even posted on my local club forum looking for pest corals like xenia, kenya tree, cloves, or whatever but got no bites. I get paid at the end of the month so I'll have to do a big shopping spree to get some stuff before the 1st!

Jacob042426

also, why are you keeping the beatiful macros in an ugly soap dish and not out in your dispays? i love the look of macros, and you have some nice ones. take advantge of their beauty!!!!

Oh...I love that yellow finger gorg a lot. I'll be watching closely to see how it does for you. I may take a chance on one of those in my new tank. I've never had a NPS gorgonia!!!!!

also, why are you keeping the beatiful macros in an ugly soap dish and not out in your dispays? i love the look of macros, and you have some nice ones. take advantge of their beauty!!!!

My emerald crabs will eat them. Otherwise they'd be out of the soap dish in a heart beat.

Gena, I hope it does okay! I'm really excited about it! So far there's no PE but it's only been 6 hours since it went in. I'm hoping it will be good to go in a couple days!

I'm sure it will open before too long. Did you order any other macros from them? If so, what did you think of the packaging and portion size? I couldn't believe how MUCH they send out. I wasn't crazy about their giant cylinder bags though. There was no way I could temp float the macros in my little 10g tank. Luckily everything survived without the acclimation!!!!! I'm not complaining about the amounts they give though...not at all :happy:

Archived