Top Shelf Aquatics

40 Breeder Paludarium

GioReef

Current FTS

IMG_2655.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original plans were for a planted paludarium, but I might be changing my mind. Now I'm thinking I should ditch the paludarium idea and just go complete planted...

Needless to say, I'm not sure what the end product will be, so expect lots of changes.

Ordered 4 bags of Eco-Complete, some manzanita wood(currently soaking in a rubbermaid), and some other miscellaneous junk.

Here are some pictures of the setup...

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

Still gotta clean everything up but you get the idea :lol:

It's going to be running that 4 bulb Fishneedit T5HO and possibly a DIY C02 system. As far as filtration goes, I have an old Fluval canister that might be used. Also had an exo-terra fogger laying around that could be used if I decide to take the paludarium route.

it would be much better with some salt, coral, LR, and a goby or too in it! lol

I know! I don't quite have the funds or the time to do a larger reef currently... someday

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this tank going. Ended up using the canister filter because it would make things a little simpler. I still have to organize the electrical a bit, but here are some pictures. Let me know what you think

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Looks great so far! Any idea what you'll be keeping in it?

Thanks! Well I'm thinking a South American theme with a school of tetras and a pair of German rams. I also have a small angel in another tank that will be transferred over. Not really anything set in stone yet haha

altolamprologus
Thanks! Well I'm thinking a South American theme with a school of tetras and a pair of German rams. I also have a small angel in another tank that will be transferred over. Not really anything set in stone yet haha

That sounds like it would look awesome. With the angel in there, the tetras would school like crazy!

That sounds like it would look awesome. With the angel in there, the tetras would school like crazy!

That's what I'm hoping for, it's beautiful :)

CORY CATS!!!

You know, I've thought about corydoras... Never had them, so maybe this is the chance haha

Get a nice groups of them! There great bottom swimmers! I have a group of six in a fresh water tank, soon to be planted! You going to do CO2?

You probably already have checked it out, but if you haven't or if there are others that want to see amazing planted tanks check out ADAs youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/aquadesignamano/videos

Gioreef. If you go the paludarium route check out this giant system a local reefer set up in Minnesota. Its not nano by any means but is cool inspiration

altolamprologus

Another schooling fish to check out is celestial pearl danios (sometimes called galaxy microrasboras). I have somewhere between 15 and 20 of them in my 55 planted (we can't remember how many we've bought and the tank is so densly planted it's impossible to count). They are great schoolers and males are always displaying to each other and to females.

Gioreef. If you go the paludarium route check out this giant system a local reefer set up in Minnesota. Its not nano by any means but is cool inspiration

OMFG I'm in love

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while, so here are some new pics. Lots of change, as you can tell :)

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

The HC will be emersed with a magnetic "frag rack" that is currently being painted. I'll see how it goes because I won't be running CO2 for submerged growth.

IMG_2655.jpg

I still have some planting to do, as well as attaching the Anubias to the driftwood. Also need to setup the floating planters/soapdishes, currently they are just holding the plants up :P

Oh, and don't mind the Hemigraphis on the far left, it needs to be pulled out of the water as soon as I figure out what to do with it haha

Not really haha. Currently I have 2 neons in there from my old tank, so I might just go buy more of them. There are also 3 Amano shrimp in there, which will also be increased as the tank matures.

I'm really thinking a pair of rams as the eventual candidates.

That sounds nice. What kind of rams? Take a look at gold rams. We got a pair of long fin ones at the fish store and there awesome looking!!

That sounds nice. What kind of rams? Take a look at gold rams. We got a pair of long fin ones at the fish store and there awesome looking!!

Most likely the regular german blue, but I was also looking at the gold, like you mentioned. I'm not really too fond of the long finned variety actually haha

Archived