Top Shelf Aquatics

2.6 Gallon Hexagon

Robby.F

This is my entry for the "3 and Under Pico Contest".

The tank is a 5 gallon hexagon that I cut down to size. It now measures just under 6in tall and each side is 6.25in long. I wanted to make a shallow tank and have my rock in the center. The goal for this tank is simplicity, but its not going to be simple to build as I have already discovered.

To create the simple look I want I will be drilling the tank and have a 2.5 gallon sump underneath to hide all my equipment and filtration. This involves building a small stand to support the tank and hide the sump from view.

This is my first pico tank so wish me luck! :D

Robby

6916805698_56724ac7c4.jpg

photo (1) by Robby-F, on Flickr

6916805802_47b4828946.jpg

photo (2) by Robby-F, on Flickr

This is my entry for the "3 and Under Pico Contest".

The tank is a 5 gallon hexagon that I cut down to size. It now measures just under 6in tall and each side is 6.25in long. I wanted to make a shallow tank and have my rock in the center. The goal for this tank is simplicity, but its not going to be simple to build as I have already discovered.

To create the simple look I want I will be drilling the tank and have a 2.5 gallon sump underneath to hide all my equipment and filtration. This involves building a small stand to support the tank and hide the sump from view.

This is my first pico tank so wish me luck! :D

Robby

What did you use to cut it down? I am looking at cutting my 5 gallon bowfront in half...

I started by using a hack saw but ended up using a circular saw (wasn't a clean cut, but better than expected). I then sanded the rim until it was level and smooth

I started by using a hack saw but ended up using a circular saw (wasn't a clean cut, but better than expected). I then sanded the rim until it was level and smooth

Lol a circular saw, wouldn't that just break it apart? I would have have thought that a zipsaw would have worked better...but kudos to you for making it work!

As one of the first official Judges of this competition, I give you my seal of approval ;)

Lol a circular saw, wouldn't that just break it apart? I would have have thought that a zipsaw would have worked better...but kudos to you for making it work!

Haha yeah wasn't the best method but I made it work! I'm not even sure what the tank is made out of, its thin and a single mold.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update of the tank! I drilled the bottom of the tank and added 1/2in bulkheads. I have PVC for my overflow and loc-line as my return. I just finished painting the stand and put everything in place. The sump is a 2.5 "Petco" tank, I plan on using a curtain to cover the front and hide the sump. Let me know what you think!

7062925469_92edd00896.jpg

securedownload by Robby-F, on Flickr

7062925573_e25c902ee9.jpg

securedownload (1) by Robby-F, on Flickr

dallasprstn
Here is an update of the tank! I drilled the bottom of the tank and added 1/2in bulkheads. I have PVC for my overflow and loc-line as my return. I just finished painting the stand and put everything in place. The sump is a 2.5 "Petco" tank, I plan on using a curtain to cover the front and hide the sump. Let me know what you think!

epic. i can already see the monti's plating from the center. lol.

Finally have water in the tank! Getting sand today, and going to start my search for rock to cover my plumbing. Hope to have updated pictures later today!

I added sand on April 1st (deadline) so my FTS was a bit cloudy.

7062888193_bd39b2a2f2.jpg

photo (6) by Robby-F, on Flickr

After my water cleared I was able to add some rock. I drilled two holes in a shelf rock as my base, and on top I created a tower of base rock going up the PVC overflow. Still waiting for water to clear up to take a picture of the base rock in place, and I plan on adding more live rock tomorrow.

7062888081_2d1d42d713.jpg

photo (5) by Robby-F, on Flickr

dallasprstn

this thing looks so awesome with the rock in it...is that par30 coming in tomorrow or Wednesday? I can tell its gonna look sweet with that thing.

Wow, looks fantastic! Great job, can't wait to see it come to life!!!! Really, clean looking setup, light looks awesome.

Archived