SaltCritters.com

Dallas' Gorgonian Pico

dallasprstn

dallasprstn
as long as you provide a maxi mini anemone or something for each group of inverts, they should be ok with eachother. the crab/anemone shrimp should claim one anemone and the sexies will claim another anemone.

i seee...well i think i'm just gonna stay with a bunch of sexy shrimp!

• 2 weeks later...
dallasprstn
How's it coming along?

pretty good, I kept waiting for a diatom bloom that never happened...I've been testing throughout the cycle, and not much happened, small spikes and now I'm in the clear. I'm gonna do a 50% water change on Saturday and then add my first frag on Sunday! that's pretty much it. I'll post some more pics when my frags are in!

dallasprstn

UPDATE TIME! :D

So, today I went on an LFS run, and hit up like 4 stores and here's what came home!

Corals:

-Armor of God Zoas

-Purple Zoas

Inverts:

-Pom Pom Crab

I also added a few frags from my big tank and this is what it consisted of..

Coral:

Tubbs Blues

Dragons Eyes

Eagles Eyes

Pink Palys

Red Zoas

Orange Ricordea

Here's a pic of the tank right after adding the corals..

7043905233_fb32f38863_z.jpg

And here's the pom pom drip acclimating!

6897808562_e1083cb710_z.jpg

I'm really digging this tank, and liking how it's turning out. I'll probably move the coral around, but I'm glad everything is in there safe and sound!

you may have trouble with sexy shrimp and zoas...

also why the boxing crab? is he replacing some of your sexy shrimp?

dallasprstn

we'll see, i've known people who have kept them and no problems, and the opposite as well so I think I may risk it and if anything goes south, I'll just tear those shrimp to pieces. :D

and yes, I've always wanted one, but my tanks have always been a little bit too big to big to actually know they exist, so I figured I'd put one in this tank! I'm still gonna have a few sexies, but I thought they could use a neighbor.

+1 mine ate a clementine polyp yesterday. It was removed and taken to the LFS almost flushed the little bastad.

dallasprstn

Pictures/Update!

well.....today i went to one of the lfs around me and bought something...does anyone notice anything different?

7044008387_240617a740_z.jpg

I've been wanting a gorgonian for a while and thought that it would add a sweet dimension to the pico. I've never had one before but i've done a little research on the care of them, both the non-photosynthetic and photosynthetic ones and i think this is a photosynthetic gorgonian based on the fact that the polyps are tan and that can be a good indicator, and also the fact that the owner of the store told me it was photosynthetic. He said that it wouldn't be that difficult if I kept up with water changes, kept the parameters in check, and spot fed it some sort of coral food every few days to help with growth, which i have no problem doing. And...for $10, I thought now would be a good time to test one out, and if all goes well, i may try another kind!

6897913024_bb35bb02ba_z.jpg

The Pom Pom crab is doing well, he just kinda chills in the crevices of the rocks, but sometimes feels adventurous enough to explore the tank. I love watching this guy, and even though it he only has one anemone, I'm hoping it'll split so he'll have another one.

7044009219_661a6e0a72_z.jpg

And here is a close up of the gorgonian, I love the size and color of the gorgonian, it seems to add a whole new level of depth to the pico. That's it for now!

dallas. :happy:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I'm a big fan of aquascaping, and being that I love to dive, your two rock islands are impressive! They make a statement. Keep up the good work.

dallasprstn

nope, i'd like to add one, but i think it'd be a little too large...if i add any anemones it'd be a rock/flower anemone, but I'm not sure if I even wanna add one of those anymore.

anyone have any ideas of what i should stock next?!

dallasprstn

just realized I havent added a CUC yet, I think I'm gonna add one nassaruis, and two or three dwarf ceriths, is that too much or too little?

just realized I havent added a CUC yet, I think I'm gonna add one nassaruis, and two or three dwarf ceriths, is that too much or too little?

Depends on who you ask. LOL

The common misconception out there is you need a huge clean up crew to for a tank. I honestly think you would be fine with 1 crab and 1 snail. That will equal less waste for you to have to clean up.

You also have the option of not having a clean up crew at all. Just means you might need to go into the tank with a toothbrush a little more often to clean things up. But the plus side of this is less waste added to your tank.

What to stock next-

I say you take a frag plug with xenia and glue it to the back wall on one side. And do the same on the other side with GSP.

• 3 weeks later...
dallasprstn
Are we going to get some updates here any time soon?

oh yes we are, I just haven't really changed anything recently. I've been too busy with school and work to go and get anything for it! but trust me, there will be.

surgicalsense

I love grogonians. I need one for my tank badly :P

... can't wait to see your plan.

dallasprstn
I love grogonians. I need one for my tank badly :P

... can't wait to see your plan.

get one! the one i got has been doing great! I'm still trying to figure out what to add next..

Builder Anthony

Sea whips are almost the same thing and alot easier to care for as gordoinas need photoplankton to surrive.Just thought id throw that out there.I had one a while but they just deterorite very slowly if you dont have that stuff.i tried feeding it a micro feeder food but i guess that wasnt enough i guess it needs pure photo.im still uncertain but algae is another issue with them you cant have that stuff grow on it or itll die off real fast.Sea whips from what i understand are alot more tolerable.So just a little info there to try and help everyone out a little.There are a very nice addition but something i dont think ill ever have again.

Archived