Innovative Marine Aquariums

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be joining, ,just need to get a tank. Before I do I would like to get some clarification on a couple things though.

I am eye balling an AIO tank. The display area is 2.9 gallons and the overflow area is 1.2 gallons. Now does this mean the tanks volume is 4 gallons? or do we just count the actual display volume?

I recently recieved a PM from the contest founder, and he actually requested me to clarify the rules a bit.

Seeing as most people will be using a 3 gallon or less tank, and manually addind sumps to increase water volume, a 4 gallon AIO tank, despite the displaay volume being 3 gallons, is unfortunately going to be considered as a 4 gallon tank. Is there any way you could only put 3 gallons of water in the tank, combined between the display area and overflow area?

Once again, very sorry for the misunderstanding. And thank you for your cooperation. If you have any further inquiries, feel free to PM me or dallasprstn, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Meta

Hahahahaha wow reef keeping party in mexico or something? How come I'm not invited?? :D

Seriously, I feel like I should take the day off work and drive to the border...lol...

It's ok, 11GTCS, we'll have our own reefer party :wacko:

Haha, j/k...I think dallas is going down to dive...I would love to become SCUBA certified one day!!

3779294[/url]']

I recently recieved a PM from the contest founder, and he actually requested me to clarify the rules a bit.

Seeing as most people will be using a 3 gallon or less tank, and manually addind sumps to increase water volume, a 4 gallon AIO tank, despite the displaay volume being 3 gallons, is unfortunately going to be considered as a 4 gallon tank. Is there any way you could only put 3 gallons of water in the tank, combined between the display area and overflow area?

Once again, very sorry for the misunderstanding. And thank you for your cooperation. If you have any further inquiries, feel free to PM me or dallasprstn, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Meta

Seriously, I feel like I should take the day off work and drive to the border...lol...

It's ok, 11GTCS, we'll have our own reefer party :wacko:

Haha, j/k...I think dallas is going down to dive...I would love to become SCUBA certified one day!!

On that note. I would seriously check that tank out. If its listed at 4 gal it probably only holds 3 anyway and if not, as he said, u can just not fill all the way. So +1 to that

haha sounds good, SoCal sounds like an improvement on coastal nh! My dad dove at my age, I wanna get my cert too.

Just added some more LR from my LFS, ill have some new pics on my thread soon. This will be my final scape.

Final Scape? Suuuuure ;)

"Wait a minute, these trumpets have no good place in my scape..."

post-70886-1331411221.jpg

"CHANGE PLACES!"

Thanks for the info. I will plan accordingly

Thanks for understanding! Let us know what you decide to do, and it you start a contest thread. :)

Meta

Final Scape? Suuuuure ;)

haha i know, ill prob tinker some more, im happy right now will see what happens a week from now.

New pics r up on my thread.

funkngroovy

In regards to adding or removing equipment, I wont need a heater until about June so can I just add it to the equipment list and place it in the tank when required? similarly for cooling, I assume equipment can be removed based on climatic conditions.

Also, please add me to the list of entries. I'm in Australia, so not worried about prizes etc, just in it for the fun. :D

Alright, i'm pulling out. It really isnt fair for me to be in because i've had this thing set up since jan. So my apologizes.

Once again, sorry for the inconvienance. We're just trying to give everyone a fair chance to win, so we'd prefer if everyone started around the same time...

thanks for understanding!

Meta

shaneandjohn

Well we started our thread...Please help me.I am having trouble uploading pics from my IPad. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated......Shane

C.I._Reefer
Alright, i'm pulling out. It really isnt fair for me to be in because i've had this thing set up since jan. So my apologizes.

Perfect excuse to start a 2nd tank :)

OFFICIAL 3 AND UNDER PICO CONTEST THREAD!

~Contest Entry Deadline is 4/1/12~

~Contest Ends 10/1/12~

Background: This contest is for anyone who is starting a pico tank and from the second you read this, until April 1st, 2012, so go grab a pico and join in on the fun. As long as your display tank is three gallons or less, you qualify for it! It doesn’t matter if you’ve keep reefs for years, or if this is going to be your first tank, anyone can join!

RULES:

-You need to start a Nano-Reef thread for your entry, which you can name whatever you’d like, but the topic description for your tank thread must include, “My 3 and Under Pico Contest Entry”

-This thread must be maintained throughout the entire contest.

-Tanks will livestock cannot be entered into the contest, but if your tank is still cycling and has no livestock (other than a clean-up crew), you may enter.

-Must list all equipment addtions and Livestock additions and losses in the thread.

-All modding is acceptable including but not limited to, changing fixtures, pumps, powerheads, filters, drilling the tank itself, or even sumping the tank!

-Sumps can be no larger than the tank itself, for example, a two-gallon display tank can have a two-gallon tank, but nothing larger than that of the display itself.

-Building your own tank is also acceptable; so all you DIYer’s can go crazy, the participant just need clarify the dimensions of the tank and the tank capacity. Click on link below for tank volume calculator.

http://www.greertank.com/tankcalc.htm

-If your tank crashes after April, 1st 2012, you are out of the contest.

-This is so no one can restart their tanks throughout the entire contest.

-Any tank that is three gallons or less qualifies for the contest.

-If you follows these rules, you’re pretty much in the clear, just remember….KEEP THE DISPLAY TANK 3 GALLONS OR LESS!

Dates and Deadlines:

-Entry deadline is 4/1/2012.

-3 Month Build and 3 Month established period.

-No new equipment after 5/1/12.

-Bulbs and filtration are the only exception. Replacement pumps, lights, or other equipment can be added at anytime, but must be the exact same product. (NO EXCEPTIONS!)

-No addition livestock after 7/1/12.

-Clean-up Crew can be added throughout the entire contest.

-You must submit one FTS and FES every first day of the month.

-Here is a list of dIates to show the different deadlines of the contest, for all you people who like to see it all written out.

March 7th,, 2012: Contest officially starts and participants can start to cycle their pico tanks. Any type of equipment additions or moddings are acceptable, but no additions of livestock.

April 1st, 2012: FTS and FES by 11:59 PM. Livestock can now be added! New equipment can still be added and/or modded. Last day for contest sign-up.

May 1st, 2012: FTS and FES by 11:59 PM. No new equipment can be added, so you better have your system exactly how you want it! Livestock can still be added.

June 1st, 2012: FTS and FES by 11:59 PM. No new equipment or modding, but you can still add livestock!

July 1st, 2012: FTS and FES by 11:59 PM. Last day to add livestock! Now watch your tank flourish.

August 1st, 2012: FTS and FES by 11:59 PM. No new additions or equipment changes allowed, just keep up the hard work.

September 1st, 2012: FTS and FES by 11:59 PM. No new additions or equipment changes allowed, you’re almost finished!

October 1st, 2012: Today marks the end of the Contest, its been six long months, so clean that glass, and take a quick video explaining your system!

Categories, Prizes, and Judging:

-Each category will have a different prize and judge.

-Judges are not confirmed yet, but will be filled in once they are found.

Category – Prize – Judge

Best Overall Pico - $100 LiveAquaria Gift Card – Highest Compiled Score

Best Aquascape – 6” or 12’ Wavepoint LED Fixture (Up for ideas if anyone thinks of anything better.) – TBA

Most Unique Pico – 4 Coral Frag Pack – TBA

Best Growth - Winners Choice Frag Pack - TBA

Beginners Luck – Frag Pack - TBA

Sponsors:

-A big thanks to the people who are willing to help pitch in for some prizes, it really means a lot to me!

11GTCS – LiveAquaria Gift Card

boxboy – Frag Pack(Winner’s Choice)

-I’m going to be throwing in a frag pack as well, consisting of a Green Aussie Duncan, Christmas Favia, Kryptonite Candy Cane, and a two poly frag of Utter Chaos Zoas.

PARTICIPANTS!

(Will update as more people sign up.)

banshee

Boboli

boxboy

Bobyboy

Cheese-Lover

C.I._Reefer

Daleo

dallasprstn

dweeeezy

Gunbeaux

Islandoftiki

Jacob042426

jnam

Markushka

Matt.blair24

MFChop

mtime8778

Robby.F

shaneandjohn

Thornchase

Veng

11GTCS

16bio

~Post on this thread to clarify that you are signing up for the contest, and you will be added!~

*For those who are already on the list, post here too, to make it official!

I'm. In SPUDZSTER's 3 gallon picodope welcome to the thunderdome

Well we started our thread...Please help me.I am having trouble uploading pics from my IPad. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated......Shane

Hi! I have an iPhone I use for a lot of my pictures, and unfortunately the site doesn't support uploading from any iOS device that I know. What I do is email the pictures to my computer and upload them there. It only takes me a few minutes extra so I don't really mind :)

shaneandjohn

Thanks for the idea.That will work. I could even get out our Nikon and just upload them from my wife's laptop.

Hopefully they get the IOS figured out because all I really use is my IPad anymore.

Thanks for the idea.That will work. I could even get out our Nikon and just upload them from my wife's laptop.

Hopefully they get the IOS figured out because all I really use is my IPad anymore.

yeah the problem is the architecture of the filesystem in a ipad is restricted so the website needs to ask for a specific thing, like a photo. I am a big fan of this site, so I might try and talk to the site's owner about programming an app for iOS. Not a bad little project.

C.I._Reefer
yeah the problem is the architecture of the filesystem in a ipad is restricted so the website needs to ask for a specific thing, like a photo. I am a big fan of this site, so I might try and talk to the site's owner about programming an app for iOS. Not a bad little project.

Yeah, You can think restrictive ass mac for that. That is what you get when you buy mac and buy into non open-source software/platform. Does mac have a dropbox app? it is really easy to upload photos to your public folder on dropbox, and then you can post them right to the site

dallasprstn

UPDATE!

Well everyone, today is an awesome day..let me explain.

First of all, I haz the internets in Mexico so I will be able to help answer any questions you guys have about the contest..

Second of all......today i found out that MICRO-REEFS will be sponsoring the contest and donating a tank kit for the grand prize of the contest! How does that sound?

But, there is bad news...

I'm going to win the tank, and none of you will ever have the enjoyment of setting up one of Mike's awesome tanks, and I don't want any of you to get your hopes up, because nothing will come out of it. ;)

I also updated the Prizes, Sponsors, and Participants list in the original post, so go ahead and check that out for more details.

happy reefing,

Dallas.

Hope Mexico is being kind to ya! Have a great time down there!! Excellent news about Mike sponsoring the contest...this thing is picking up steam! Very exciting, very exciting indeed!

Archived