Coral Vue Hydros

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No need to be a smart ass. In response to your first question, If I am going to go through the effort of drilling and sumping my tank for that extra bit of water volume, i dont thing it is right than another contestant can negate that by going out an buying a pre made AIO. Makes sense dosen't it?

That is the only question you asked that prompts an answer

Better to be a smartass then a dumbass, right?

I wanted some concise answers to some much ambiguous rules that weren't fully clarified by the organizer. Questions that people, including yourself, have asked and received replies such as "I'm not sure, but I think you should do it this way". We now have clarification on these rules.

And to say there is a lot more effort required in a dumped system as opposed to an all-in-one is a false statement entirely. I can just as easily ask a local tank builder to build me a 3 gallon with overflow and a 3 gallon sump to match. Zero effort required ony part.

Personally, instead of rules like, only fill the display to 3 gallons, or only sumps up to the size of the display, I would simply state the rules as a maximum 6 gallon total potential system volume. Less disambiguation and exceptions.

I wanted some concise answers to some much ambiguous rules that weren't fully clarified by the organizer. Questions that people, including yourself, have asked and received replies such as "I'm not sure, but I think you should do it this way". We now have clarification on these rules.

And to say there is a lot more effort required in a dumped system as opposed to an all-in-one is a false statement entirely. I can just as easily ask a local tank builder to build me a 3 gallon with overflow and a 3 gallon sump to match. Zero effort required ony part.

Personally, instead of rules like, only fill the display to 3 gallons, or only sumps up to the size of the display, I would simply state the rules as a maximum 6 gallon total potential system volume. Less disambiguation and exceptions.

Did you actually want to join the contest? Or are you just trolling? Thanks for the input! :)

My tank has finally been made. Now I'm just missing salt, water and sand. All those should be purchased today.

Yeah boy.

My tank has finally been made. Now I'm just missing salt, water and sand. All those should be purchased today.

Yeah boy.

Yeah, saw you installed the overflow...that build is really coming along! Come on April 1st! lol

Yeah I put in water and my scape. It's lookin' real good.

Regarding the first page, I'd make it so that in the list of participants, you can be able to click on their name and it brings you to their thread. Hyperlink baby

Yeah I put in water and my scape. It's lookin' real good.

Regarding the first page, I'd make it so that in the list of participants, you can be able to click on their name and it brings you to their thread. Hyperlink baby

I think that is dasllasprstns plan...I've just been subscribing to everyone's contest thread, and it sends me a weekly email of all new posts.

Gotcha. Just trying to make it more efficient.

Believe me, if I had the power to edit this page..... ;)

No, dallas just got back from mexico, I'm sure he's gonna be around a lot more now, He already told me he wants to link everyones name in the list to their thread, now it's just a matter of time...lol...We're still getting new entries on pretty much a daily basis! omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

When do you stop allowing new people to enter? April 1st?

Yeah, April 1st is the cutoff date to enter...

I'm sure as soon as dallas sees all these posts, he'll start editing in hyperlinks when he has some spare time.

dallasprstn

hey everyone, i just updated the participants list and we now have 34 entries! :happy:

also, i'm going to be adding hyperlinks to the participant list tonight hopefully, but at the latest, it'll be sometime this week!

very cool to have so many ppl in this contest. Love it. I hope we can get another 30+.

Dallas. Thanks for the hyperlinks

Jacob042426

Can you check out my bridge of death? It only has a little bit of gsp, a small ric, a cuc, 2 sexies, and a bongo shrimp. I would rather enter that instead. Link is in sig.

This leaves open the possibility of non-pico sized containers (6 gal aquariums) being used. Which defeats the purpose.

As to the effort in a dumped system, you are not taking into account the fact that these people are doing the work themselves. Not all of us have the money to just go to a tank manufacturer and get custom tanks. If you want to put the work in to drill and plumb your own sump up to display volume, go for it, otherwise, get a 3 gall or under AIO.

Honestly though the attitude is completely unneeded. This is not a professional event, and the moderators and creator of the competition don't sit down with an oversight committee to make sure the rules are written so that everyone understands perfectly. If we did that, we wouldn't need this forum now would we? So I'd say better to be a dumbass and get help then a smartass and tick off everyone.

dallasprstn
Does the tank have to be set up and running by April 1st?

you need your first FTS and FES shot by april 1st, but. it can be dry! just post a pic of what you have by then! i don't think anyone will be against that, especially because it gives you the disadvantage of less time to add livestock!

Can you check out my bridge of death? It only has a little bit of gsp, a small ric, a cuc, 2 sexies, and a bongo shrimp. I would rather enter that instead. Link is in sig.

hey jacob, i'm sorry but i can't let you enter that tank...it's just too established and gives you an unfair advantage over the others in the contest.

My evil twin! :o

lol, i'll fix that :P

ReefersEdge
you need your first FTS and FES shot by april 1st, but. it can be dry! just post a pic of what you have by then! i don't think anyone will be against that, especially because it gives you the disadvantage of less time to add livestock!

Ok thanks. Im sure ill have it all up and running by the 1st.

As to the effort in a dumped system, you are not taking into account the fact that these people are doing the work themselves. Not all of us have the money to just go to a tank manufacturer and get custom tanks. If you want to put the work in to drill and plumb your own sump up to display volume, go for it, otherwise, get a 3 gall or under AIO.

Don't get me wrong, I do fully understand that some people are drilling their own tanks, investing in drills and bulkheads and going through the work to create a sumped system. I'm just saying on a gallon vs gallon standpoint, there is really no difference between a sumped system and an all in one, regardless of how much extra effort some people are putting in.

Honestly though the attitude is completely unneeded. This is not a professional event, and the moderators and creator of the competition don't sit down with an oversight committee to make sure the rules are written so that everyone understands perfectly. If we did that, we wouldn't need this forum now would we? So I'd say better to be a dumbass and get help then a smartass and tick off everyone.

What attitude? I asked a legitimate series of questions to clarify an ambiguous set of rules. One person was told that a 1.2 gallon tank with an attached 2 gallon macro display was acceptable. I wanted to know to what extent one person could build their setup. If anyone had attitude, it's the other poster who clearly mistook what I said and called me a smartass.

And the idea of a professional event is of course laughable. I don't think anyone here would enter such a contest exclusively on the merit of coming out on top with a $40 tank as the grand prize.

I still would prefer not to be a dumbass though, regardless of how much help or criticism I receive. :)

Did you actually want to join the contest? Or are you just trolling? Thanks for the input! :)

Obviously the contest intrigues me and I wanted to know if my equipment plan fits into the scope of the rules. I would love to support your contest, and I'm not here to troll your thread. :)

I am considering a 2.5 gallon AIO which could have the filter area drilled out and ran to a 1 gallon sump. Is this setup acceptable should I choose to go that route?

Archived