SaltCritters.com

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

dallasprstn
I plan on throwing my hat into the ring soon. I will make some mock ups before I dive in though. I have a stack of acrylic left over which will be more than enough for this application.

Could someone clarify the water volume though? Is the intent to keep the entire volume of the tank 3 gals or lower? Or does a 3 gal display mean you can run a 3 gal sump/fuge? (thereby being 6 gallons total?)

Also, for approx 1 month I will be tasked out for some training in some god forsaken base and "regular" updates will be very difficult to do. Will this result in a disqualification for not keeping the thread updated? Or can I get away with doing a FTS and update prior to departure, and one upon return?

The rule on sumps is that they cannot be larger than that of the display tank, so a three gallon sump is acceptable for a three gallon tank!

"regular" updates pretty much just updating when equipment or livestock is added to the tank, or when FTS and FES shots are due. and as an example, if you were gone during the contest, you probably wouldn't have any new additions, and the only thing you would need to keep up with would be the FTS and FES and if you had someone that could take a pic of two of the tank and upload it here, you'd be in the clear!

does that help?

This is extremely tempting. Sounds like fun!

fall into peer pressure.. :happy:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rule on sumps is that they cannot be larger than that of the display tank, so a three gallon sump is acceptable for a three gallon tank!

"regular" updates pretty much just updating when equipment or livestock is added to the tank, or when FTS and FES shots are due. and as an example, if you were gone during the contest, you probably wouldn't have any new additions, and the only thing you would need to keep up with would be the FTS and FES and if you had someone that could take a pic of two of the tank and upload it here, you'd be in the clear!

does that help?

That helps greatly. Thank you.

So it's doubtful I'll make it into this contest after all. The tank I got on clearance from petco has fallen victim to the wife. She made it into a plant only, fresh water tank as of last night. I currently don't have any plans set in place to replace it with another. The deadline is a ways off and I might impulse purchase something between now and then though, you really never know with me.

dallasprstn
So it's doubtful I'll make it into this contest after all. The tank I got on clearance from petco has fallen victim to the wife. She made it into a plant only, fresh water tank as of last night. I currently don't have any plans set in place to replace it with another. The deadline is a ways off and I might impulse purchase something between now and then though, you really never know with me.

don't throw in the towel man! impulse buy FTW.

Grrrr.. Broken bone in my hand, and this darn splint will make this interesting.

it'll make for a great scape lol.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mirco reefs now has the 2gal rimless cubes ready. if anyone needs a tank still.

Here is the rimless 2 gallon acrylic tank... B)

x6jypy.jpg

And we also carry the 3 gallon and 1.6 gallon picos with black background... ;)

15ev5uh.jpg

don't throw in the towel man! impulse buy FTW.

Need to get some clarification, AIO tanks are governed by the display size, and not that total size (other than the sump portion size restriction, correct?

Need to get some clarification, AIO tanks are governed by the display size, and not that total size (other than the sump portion size restriction, correct?

I believe someone wanted to enter with a store bought AIO that was something like 4 gallons, but I think dallasprstn decided against it...

I will be joining, ,just need to get a tank. Before I do I would like to get some clarification on a couple things though.

I am eye balling an AIO tank. The display area is 2.9 gallons and the overflow area is 1.2 gallons. Now does this mean the tanks volume is 4 gallons? or do we just count the actual display volume?

I recently recieved a PM from the contest founder, and he actually requested me to clarify the rules a bit.

Seeing as most people will be using a 3 gallon or less tank, and manually addind sumps to increase water volume, a 4 gallon AIO tank, despite the displaay volume being 3 gallons, is unfortunately going to be considered as a 4 gallon tank. Is there any way you could only put 3 gallons of water in the tank, combined between the display area and overflow area?

Once again, very sorry for the misunderstanding. And thank you for your cooperation. If you have any further inquiries, feel free to PM me or dallasprstn, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Meta

I do not know if the same would apply for a DIY AIO build, and I would think it would be allowed as long as you do the work yourself, since essentially it is the same as adding a sump...

But once again, if dallas could chime in, and you could shoot a PM his way, I'm sure we can get this matter cleared right up...

Is a cleaner shrimp considered a part of the CUC?

I would have to say no, it isn't part of a cuc in a pico.

I believe someone wanted to enter with a store bought AIO that was something like 4 gallons, but I think dallasprstn decided against it...

I do not know if the same would apply for a DIY AIO build, and I would think it would be allowed as long as you do the work yourself, since essentially it is the same as adding a sump...

But once again, if dallas could chime in, and you could shoot a PM his way, I'm sure we can get this matter cleared right up...

Well, I've got some crazy ideas floating aroudn in my head. If I do it, it will be DIY for sure. Most likely something like a 5 gallon tank that has a divider wall to split like an AIO. I've also thought about a 10 gallon, with 2 divider walls to make 3 chambers, a 2-3 gallon display, a 2-3 gallon sump, and the remaining 4-6 gallons empty/air/not tank. I imagine Dallas will chime in here in a few. If he doesn't show back up in the thread by monday I'll be surprised, but send him a PM for clarification.

dallasprstn

hey everyone, I just got back from Mexico! sorry for the lack of being on the thread lol. :happy:

Veng: if you build all the components of your AIO chambers and such, it's definitely in the clear. We just don't want anyone taking a shortcut and buying a 4-5 gallon tank with an AIO and buying his way out of all the hard work everyone else is doing. hope this helps?

also, I like the idea you've got going with the 10 gallon, and I was thinking..what if you made the third chamber that would be empty, a top off resivior? then the entire tank would house all it's equipment!

just an idea though. :happy:

hey everyone, I just got back from Mexico! sorry for the lack of being on the thread lol. :happy:

Veng: if you build all the components of your AIO chambers and such, it's definitely in the clear. We just don't want anyone taking a shortcut and buying a 4-5 gallon tank with an AIO and buying his way out of all the hard work everyone else is doing. hope this helps?

also, I like the idea you've got going with the 10 gallon, and I was thinking..what if you made the third chamber that would be empty, a top off resivior? then the entire tank would house all it's equipment!

just an idea though. :happy:

Ok, I understand the rules then. That is an interesting idea about the last chamber. I was considering cutting down the 10 gallon to 8" high instead of 12" high it 6 gallons and then add a divider. Though, that thought gave me some crazy ideas of an ultra shallow tank. With the rules clarified I'll just need to sit down and see what I can fit into the 3 gallon window to make it work.

Ok, I understand the rules then. That is an interesting idea about the last chamber. I was considering cutting down the 10 gallon to 8" high instead of 12" high it 6 gallons and then add a divider. Though, that thought gave me some crazy ideas of an ultra shallow tank. With the rules clarified I'll just need to sit down and see what I can fit into the 3 gallon window to make it work.

Define "ultra shallow."

5"?

*raises hand*

I have a question. Errr, questions.

So a 4 gallon manufactured AIO is not allowed, but I could take a 4 gallon tank and have a 2 gallon display and a 2 gallon filter section?

If I have a 5 gallon AIO that has a 3 gallon display area, can I drill the bottom out of the filter area and drain the tank into a 3 gallon sump that way?

I can have a 6 gallon sump if I have two tanks connected to it, so can I have a 10 gallon long tank with two displays at either end and a 5 gallon filter section in between them?

I can have a 12 gallon sump if I have 4 3 gallon tanks as display tanks, provided I make a thread for each of them?

I can use a 5 gallon tank as a display provided I only fill it with 3 gallons of water, does this rule apply to my sump also? Can I use a 10 gallon tank for a sump as long as I only fill it to the 3 gallon line?

Can I daisy chain my display tanks, so I have a display draining into a second display draining into a third display that drains into a 9 gallon sump?

Is there a limit to display tanks I can use? Can I have 10 3 gallon displays that drain into a 30 gallon sump? And if the water level rule applies to sumps, can I use a 55 gallon sump I have kicking around that only fills to 30 gallons? And can 9 of my tanks be macro algae displays?

TIA for your responses!

C.I._Reefer
*raises hand*

So a 4 gallon manufactured AIO is not allowed, but I could take a 4 gallon tank and have a 2 gallon display and a 2 gallon filter section?

If I have a 5 gallon AIO that has a 3 gallon display area, can I drill the bottom out of the filter area and drain the tank into a 3 gallon sump that way?

I can have a 6 gallon sump if I have two tanks connected to it, so can I have a 10 gallon long tank with two displays at either end and a 5 gallon filter section in between them?

I can have a 12 gallon sump if I have 4 3 gallon tanks as display tanks, provided I make a thread for each of them?

I can use a 5 gallon tank as a display provided I only fill it with 3 gallons of water, does this rule apply to my sump also? Can I use a 10 gallon tank for a sump as long as I only fill it to the 3 gallon line?

Can I daisy chain my display tanks, so I have a display draining into a second display draining into a third display that drains into a 9 gallon sump?

Is there a limit to display tanks I can use? Can I have 10 3 gallon displays that drain into a 30 gallon sump? And if the water level rule applies to sumps, can I use a 55 gallon sump I have kicking around that only fills to 30 gallons? And can 9 of my tanks be macro algae displays?

TIA for your responses!

No need to be a smart ass. In response to your first question, If I am going to go through the effort of drilling and sumping my tank for that extra bit of water volume, i dont thing it is right than another contestant can negate that by going out an buying a pre made AIO. Makes sense dosen't it?

That is the only question you asked that prompts an answer

dallasprstn
*raises hand*

sweet, i have answers.

Manufactured AIO tanks over 3 gallons are not allowed because of the fact that a lot of people are going through a lot of trouble to sump their tanks.

no. the AIO chamber counts as part of total volume therefore you could not have a sump.

no. you cannot tie systems into each other. entries must be an independent system with a total volume being no more than double the display tank.

no, see above.

yes, but you would need to specify the dimensions of the tank, but have the height be the water line.

and no, the sumps total volume is the amount of the tank completely filled.

no, same concept as the question above.

all systems must be independent of each other, you cannot tie systems together. same concept as question at the top!

TIA for your responses!

hope this helps!

Archived