Top Shelf Aquatics

Official 3 and Under Pico Contest!

dallasprstn

ReefersEdge
hey man, I never gave you any clearance on an exception. I know you said you couldn't post pics because of homework and the fact that you didn't have access to a computer, which kind of confused me, but I never said that it was okay! Sorry if there was any misunderstanding but i can't let you stay I the contest.

Dallas.

So the truth comes out, you "legit" reason is you have homework and no access to a computer...Yet you get to surf on your iPad as much as possible? Sorry Jacob, looks like you've been DQ'd...

There are contestants who are following the rules, and it wouldn't be fair to them to let you slide because you have homework. I don't know about anyone else, but I think you might have the only contest thread with no pics of your setup.

See how is he sending pm's to dallas with out internet access and while doing homework, hmmm.

Besides thoses are not real excusses.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense to anyone,but...

We're given a pretty broad window to post pics and posting pics

is stated as a requirement to be in the contest.

I have no Internet at home and still manage to use my

phone to take/post pics and update my thread in the allotted time frame.

If one really wanted to be in the contest, one would find the time/way

to do it.

Just my $.02...

From my count, and based on the posts for the May 1st update. We are looking at 21 contestants remaining. I was pretty much spot on with my assumption that half the field would drop out.

Good luck to the other 20 remaining contestants, this is where it starts to get exciting.

Need to update the list on the first post! I want to know who's tanks I have to stalk! :lol:

Feel free to stalk my tank.

Islandoftiki
Need to update the list on the first post! I want to know who's tanks I have to stalk! :lol:

In Soviet Russia, my tank stalks YOU!

Cheese-Lover

I don't see what all the fuss is about... We all know Islandoftiki is going to win... All of the rest of us should pull out and bow before the winner...

Islandoftiki
I don't see what all the fuss is about... We all know Islandoftiki is going to win... All of the rest of us should pull out and bow before the winner...

If I were doing the judging, I would say there are a plenty of contenders. We have a good handful of really interesting and different picos in the competition!

Islandoftiki

Hey, while it's on my mind, I would like to offer up a suggestion for those of you who have an iPhone 4.

As you know, it's difficult to get good pictures of the tank with the intense lighting that we use. Part of the picture will be too bright and another part will be too dark.

There is an app for the iPhone called ProHDR. The HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. This is a photography trick that professional photographers do when taking photos with large amounts of contrast. Normally you would take three different exposures and combine them all by hand in Photoshop.

What the ProHDR does is to take two pictures with different exposures. Then it combines the photos to average out the brightness of the photo. You can then adjust overall brightness, contrast, saturation, and hue. It really helps with getting decent photos under strange lighting conditions.

The limitations are that it doesn't work if you have moving objects in the picture, it has to be something stationary. Also, you have to hold the phone very steady when you take the pictures.

I get better tank photos with this app and my iPhone than I can get with my expensive camera and tweaking manual settings.

Anyhow, I hope this helps a few people to get better photos so we can better see what your tank looks like. After all, this is a tank competition and not a photography competition.

Here's an example (sorry, I'm at work and can't use my tank as an example) This is a very bright xenon headlight on a car. First photo with the regular camera app, the second is with ProHDR.

D9EF7A56.jpg

P.S. There are other HDR apps, but this one seems to work the best. The built-in HDR on the iPhone sucks bad.

Feel free to stalk my tank.

In Soviet Russia, my tank stalks YOU!

Off to stalk and be stalked! :lol:

No way! I totally got this! ;)

Some nice tanks from the contestants left. Definately easier to keep track of 20-ish threads than 40.

Cheese-Lover
No way! I totally got this! ;)

I'm just hanging on with the knowledge that everybody else's tanks might crash and leave me as the winner. >.>

Chances are slim. But there is a chance.

I take that back. Aptasia doesn't die. I've got no chance...

I've got GSP and fuzzy mushrooms so I could probably let my params get crazy and still have life! :lol:

As long as mine fills in the way I want it to, I know I got this. LOL

It is just fun having a group of people with a common goal, this is a very enjoyable experience.

Even if my super low maintenance tank is bound to win.

Islandoftiki
I've got GSP and fuzzy mushrooms so I could probably let my params get crazy and still have life! :lol:

Mine are all pests, so if my params go haywire, they'll probably multiply!

Suckers. Why didn't you all choose pests?

I just added a large handful of zoos and palys that randomly littering the the frag tank at one of the LFS's. I also got a nice zoa frag with a gift certificate that I won in a raffle at the last local saltwater club meeting.

Then I actually purchased some stuff for my main 10 gallon display tank. :)

Islandoftiki
I figured GSP and mushrooms ARE pests! :lol: Now I need some xenia to top it off!

It would probably cost more to ship it than it would cost for you to buy it locally. Get some pulsing xenia. It's truly amazing stuff.

Jacob042426

Sorry guys for the trouble I caused. I was only able to post because I had an iPad and I thought that when I sent the pm, the no response meant yes. I wish the best to everyone in this contest!

Good luck! :)

-Jacob

Oh, and I'm still on the iPad. :P

A list of everyone still in because I was curious:

1.funkngroovy

2.Kazooie

3.grmoore

4.TheNanoReef

5.Islandoftiki

6.BGJ223

7.C.I._Reefer

8.banshee