Top Shelf Aquatics

Live Rock Curing

Jjordy

hey folks I have about 100 pounds of dead rock that has been sitting in a trash can in my shed from my old 90g reef Im interested in completely curing this rock sense I have no use for it at the moment but will be starting a larger tank in the next year. Im wondering if i can leave my rock out in the sun doing frequent water changes(probably about once a week) for a couple of months and if this will allow coraline to cover my rock again. if this is not the right method for doing this please point me in the right direction. Thanks

Jordy

altolamprologus

Why not just wait for the new tank to be set up and let coralline take over naturally? Coralline doesn't just come out of nowhere, you would have to seed it with a rock that already has coralline and let it establish from there. And leaving it outside allows for chemical contamination. When it rains, all the crap in the air will come pouring down onto your rocks and possibly ruin them forever.

• 2 weeks later...
When it rains, all the crap in the air will come pouring down onto your rocks and possibly ruin them forever.

They will also get covered in other types of algae before coralline.

• 2 months later...
Purple up.

+1...in aquarium lighting....there will be some shock an die off if moving from outdoor to indoor

Archived